Business/First class flight from NYC-HNL

Old Feb 22, 12, 3:01 pm
Original Poster

Business/First class flight from NYC-HNL

I am thinking of taking a non-stop business/first NYC-HNL.
Does anyone have pictures of these seats? How are they? How are the meals?
Are they all one type of seats or are there layflats, recliners, etc?
Do they provide inflight headphones? thanks.
Old Feb 22, 12, 6:47 pm

I assume you are talking about HA's first class product.

The seats are comparable to normal domestic F seats on other carriers. Your basic recliners, definitely not lie-flat or fully-flat. People generally like HA. I believe this new route will be on the A330 which has personal TVs.

If it is an option, you might prefer the fly UA from EWR-HNL, which has their BusinessFirst product. It will be a much better recliner and good service on their 764 planes. It is arguably the best way to get to HI from the mainland (with AA from ORD/DFW and DL from ATL being the other 'best' options).
Old Feb 24, 12, 12:27 am
Original Poster

Yes, i meant on the HA flights.
I dont want to fly from ewr since its too far from me.
Im trying to book F using AA miles.
Old Feb 24, 12, 2:00 pm

Originally Posted by Bloodshot2k View Post
Try flying on AA:

NYC-ORD-HNL (seasonal)

NYC-DFW-HNL/OGG

Those would be on a 763 for the long flight which has AA's NGBC seat, as seen here:

http://www.airliners.net/photo/Ameri...27bd8c9d1e0bf1

http://www.airliners.net/photo/Ameri...27bd8c9d1e0bf1

I would prefer that to the HA flight (but I have not been on HA long-haul)
Old Feb 28, 12, 2:03 pm

Programs: AA PLT, AAdv since Day One
Originally Posted by Bloodshot2k View Post
So far I have booked 2 tix in First on 4 different flights on this route using AA miles. As I travel r/t NYC to HNL 3 times a year this n/s is 3 hours shorter each way then AA through DFW (ORD-HNL is seasonal only). First and coach award seats using AA miles draw from HA's Partner award inventory which is T in coach and D (according to my confirmations) in First. T is viewable on Expertflyer but D is not. But, if you have or sign up for a Hawaiian Miles FF account, you can log in and do a dummy booking for awards to see what might be available for your desired dates. For F awards between JFK/HNL, the HA table needs to show a 40,000 miles availability, not 80,000. The 40K award on the HA site is what you can get for 37.5K with AA miles when you call AA.

One thing to note. Make sure you set the number of passengers on the HA site equal to how many award tickets you want. HA on this route seems to initially make either one or two seats available for their 40K F award. If they have only one available and you want two it will tell you that each seat is 80K even though one is available at 40K, or 37.5K at AA. But, in my experience, they changed the available award Partner inventory from one in F to two about two weeks after the inventory first got put into the system 330 days out. Just keep checking every day and have some flexibility on dates.

Other than this, I'm not experienced with HA awards they way others are in this forum. But when it comes to the new JFK/HNL routes this has been my experience. The HA site reduced mileage availability (or not) corresponds exactly to what AA says they have available for awards. For me, I'll take a n/s flight that is three hours less without a connection over a route that may have a better seat for part of the ride. Although the AA 763 is not a true 180 lie-flat but a lie-straight "wedgie seat".

Good luck.
Old Feb 28, 12, 7:31 pm

Originally Posted by inlanikai View Post
Although the AA 763 is not a true 180 lie-flat but a lie-straight "wedgie seat".
Thanks for the info about HA rewards.

It is funny how many terms there are on FT for the AA J type seats. I use 'lie-flat' because that is the term SeatGuru uses. But yes, the AA seat we are talking about is not 'fully-flat', it reclines to 180 degress, but not horizontal to the ground.
Old May 4, 12, 2:17 pm

Programs: CO, UA, AA, WN, DL Gold
Originally Posted by will2288 View Post
I believe this new route will be on the A330 which has personal TVs.
Are these the monitors in the seatback? Or the handheld ones?
Old May 5, 12, 2:47 pm

Programs: HA Pualani Platinum, National EC Executive, UA & AAdvantage
Originally Posted by thebat View Post
Are these the monitors in the seatback? Or the handheld ones?
HA uses 10" Panasonic eX2 IFE systems on the A330. In F class, the systems are stored in the center console of the seat units. The USB connection for mobile devices and iOS streaming connectivity as well as the A/C power port is on the front panel of the center console.
Old May 6, 12, 10:47 am

Programs: CO, UA, AA, WN, DL Gold
Originally Posted by HA/UA_Flyer View Post
HA uses 10" Panasonic eX2 IFE systems on the A330. In F class, the systems are stored in the center console of the seat units. The USB connection for mobile devices and iOS streaming connectivity as well as the A/C power port is on the front panel of the center console.
Is this an internet connection? Or just streaming music/videos? Sorry for the ignorance, I just don't know.
Old May 6, 12, 3:27 pm

Programs: HA Pualani Platinum, National EC Executive, UA & AAdvantage
Originally Posted by thebat View Post
Is this an internet connection? Or just streaming music/videos? Sorry for the ignorance, I just don't know.
It is for device charging and media streaming. Any mobile device that utilizes USB can be plugged in the F and Y seats for charging. Only iOS devices can do streaming in F class. I don't know exactly how it works though as I don't do Apple and iOS devices, but I recall seeing a menu option in the IFE last time I flew F in the A330.
Old May 16, 12, 8:10 am

Programs: MR:LIFE-PLAT, AA ExecPLAT, AmEx GldPrmr+PLAT
Originally Posted by HA/UA_Flyer View Post
Just to clarify, I was not aware there was ANY power in the HA A330 seats?

Has anyone actually flown on this flight and can confirm 1st class seat power?

It's difficult to be productive on long haul flights using battery power, and it boggles my mind why airlines leave this out on their first class seats (per seatguru)
Old May 16, 12, 1:03 pm

Programs: Various
I have not flown on HA from JFK to HNL....nobody has, as the service does not start until June 5

To the person that posted that UA would be better than any of the others, but has not flown HA long haul....you should try it out for yourself, as I think your opinion is yours alone.

Original Poster....go with the Hawaiian Airlines booking. You'll get more of a Hawaiian experience out of your journey, most especially in First Class. Hawaiian themed meals, built in IFE, head sets (though bring your Bose or high end sets if you have them), and the Aloha welcoming crew.

Look here for photos from another member....keep in mind this was only HNL-LAX. I'm sure there will be enhancements for your flight, being that it's a few hours additional flight time.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/dunkind...7626904773898/

Last edited by Robt760; May 16, 12 at 1:17 pm
Old May 17, 12, 8:50 am

Programs: MR:LIFE-PLAT, AA ExecPLAT, AmEx GldPrmr+PLAT
Originally Posted by Robt760 View Post
I have not flown on HA from JFK to HNL....nobody has, as the service does not start until June 5
Great insight and very helpful. I'll rephrase my question:

Has anyone flown on a Hawaiian airlines Airbus A330?
If so, did the A330 have power ports in their first class cabin seats, or only the usb connections for charging and (potentially) streaming video? My 'work' computer requires me to use my targus travel power (cigarette lighter or modified AC plug). But this will be great for my ipad and iphone.

This link shows the coach cabin electronics. Pretty slick. (if you use seatguru, note that seatguru has not caught up to the seat details of this plane)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VjLTwAQUEzE

I'm still looking for more info on the first class seat...

I'm sure there will be enhancements for your flight, being that it's a few hours additional flight time.
Like?

I'm interested as I will be heading to HNL in 4 weeks (and could utilize the new JFK-HNL route)
Old May 18, 12, 11:28 am

Programs: Various
Originally Posted by flysfromPIT View Post
Great insight and very helpful. I'll rephrase my question:

Has anyone flown on a Hawaiian airlines Airbus A330?
If so, did the A330 have power ports in their first class cabin seats, or only the usb connections for charging and (potentially) streaming video? My 'work' computer requires me to use my targus travel power (cigarette lighter or modified AC plug). But this will be great for my ipad and iphone.

This link shows the coach cabin electronics. Pretty slick. (if you use seatguru, note that seatguru has not caught up to the seat details of this plane)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VjLTwAQUEzE

I'm still looking for more info on the first class seat...

Like?

I'm interested as I will be heading to HNL in 4 weeks (and could utilize the new JFK-HNL route)
There's a good chance somebody from FT will be on one of the inaugural flights, or if not, be on a flight and be able to answer questions or possibly make a trip report. The info on seatguru and seatexpert don't give any info about power sources in any cabin class of the HA A330.

Enhancements...I would hope they offer more than one meal in each direction for a 10-12 hour flight. Maybe ENHANCEMENT is a better word.
Old May 18, 12, 2:17 pm

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
There's a good chance somebody from FT will be on one of the inaugural flights, or if not, be on a flight and be able to answer questions or possibly make a trip report. The info on seatguru and seatexpert don't give any info about power sources in any cabin class of the HA A330.

Enhancements...I would hope they offer more than one meal in each direction for a 10-12 hour flight. Maybe ENHANCEMENT is a better word.
I would look to the Hawaii-Asia flights for ideas. All of the 10+ hour flights have an additional meal or snack in F and Y.

Search this Thread