Search

HA meals

Search this Thread

Old Nov 16, 2011, 6:57 pm
tjl
Original Poster

Programs: AS,WN,UA,B6,hotels
HA meals

Seems odd that while HA trying to bring a sample of Hawaii into the plane (the Hawaii theme videos, FAs and others wearing aloha shirts, etc.), the food is pretty generic airline food instead of a sample of things one might find in Hawaii like musubi, poi, kimchi, etc..
Old Nov 16, 2011, 7:03 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold, Marriott Rewards Silver,United Miles plus Hawaiian Air AirTran SWA
Because the average tourist won't eat poi spam musubi or Kim chi
Old Nov 16, 2011, 7:58 pm
tjl
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Tony10s
Because the average tourist won't eat poi spam musubi or Kim chi
Hmmm, I guess they figure that passengers would rather read about kimchi than taste it?

http://www.hanahou.com/pages/magazin...ArticleID=1010
Old Nov 17, 2011, 8:17 am
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
It's been awhile so I don't know if HA still serves the turkey croissant in Y, but one of the local-style touches I always appreciated was that if flying ex-HNL/OGG to the mainland shoyu was always catered and available for that sandwich. For some reason, the west coast stations didn't cater shoyu, even though they did cater the turkey croissants.
Old Nov 17, 2011, 4:15 pm
tjl
Original Poster

The HNL->SJC regular meal recently was a turkey and cheese sandwich (just bread (not croissant), turkey, and cheese with a small packet of mustard on the side) and a bag of trail mix.
Old Nov 18, 2011, 9:11 am

Programs: AA (ExPlat).DL,UA Hertz (Pres Circle); Avis (First), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott (Gold)
Originally Posted by tjl
Hmmm, I guess they figure that passengers would rather read about kimchi than taste it?

http://www.hanahou.com/pages/magazin...ArticleID=1010
It's the smell. There are some things that shouldn't be allowed on an airplane, and kimchee is one of them.
Old Nov 18, 2011, 3:39 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold, Marriott Rewards Silver,United Miles plus Hawaiian Air AirTran SWA
Also the after effects of some foods after consumption
Yikes
Old Nov 21, 2011, 12:29 am

Programs: AA, DL, HA, WN, UA, B6, KX, Amtrak, HHonors Silver, SPG
Originally Posted by tjl
The HNL->SJC regular meal recently was a turkey and cheese sandwich (just bread (not croissant), turkey, and cheese with a small packet of mustard on the side) and a bag of trail mix.
LAS to HNL red eye meal last night in coach was the same turkey and cheese on a small roll with a mustard and mayo packet. I ate the sandwich with the mustard instead of the mayo and ate the dried fruit from the trail mix(nuts would be tough on my dental work). They also had snack boxes for sale from the cart or buying by asking in the galley.
Considering the late hour of the flight (left at about 1:40 AM) I was pleasantly surprised the "snack service" was a small meal rather than a bag of cookies or pretzels like many mainland carriers these days.
Old Nov 21, 2011, 11:13 am

Programs: HA PUALANI GOLD
been flying hawaiian 4 to 5 times a year the last 4 years.
las to hnl HA 7 red eye turkey & swiss on a roll. sometimes the roll is hard like a rock.
hnl to las HA 18 spinach chesse manicotti like that the best.
Old Nov 21, 2011, 10:55 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Wirelessly posted (beckoa's PWP wondrousdevice3.0: Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9810; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.11+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.0.0.261 Mobile Safari/534.11+)

Really no Hawaiian meals served on Hawaiian? Had a decent Chicken Yakisoba last month on AS...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.