Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Hawaii-Based Airlines
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Hawaiian Airlines HNL-JFK service" Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated "Hawaiian Airlines HNL-JFK service" Thread

Search this Thread

Old Jan 25, 2012, 7:28 am
J-H

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; AA EXP
Meals and Upgrades on NYC-HNL

Yes, full meals in Y and also they will be selling paid upgrades - also confirmed no EUA plans in sight.
Old Feb 23, 2012, 8:53 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by GadgetKen
Not sure. If it's T5 as rumored, don't think there is a big airport lounge other than the landside Moroso Lounge with somewhat funky furniture: http://t508.wordpress.com/2008/10/22...-house-645-am/

HA does have codeshare alliances with other carriers so it's possible they might allow F class passengers into their lounge in another terminal. Although due to security considerations an independent landside lounge like the Oasis or the the Lounge in T4 might be easier to access (and are definitely accessible using a Priority Pass card).
The space shown in that photo is airside, not landside, and it is not a "lounge" in the sense that access is limited to only some people. It is just part of the terminal at the end of the central pier with good views.

I believe that the wide-body is only able to use the gate at the end of the "high" number pier so that won't be a particularly convenient place to sit but it also isn't more than a 5 minute walk.
Old Mar 6, 2012, 2:57 am

Programs: AA EXP and Eurostar Carte Blanche
Just booked two in first for JFK-HNL during the holidays. Great deal, using miles. Looking forward to my first longhaul flight on HA ^

Looks like it will be T5 and no lounge at JFK, so probably not worth arriving too early. Would appreciate any suggestions about what to order to eat/drink on board -- will with a few other friends and we'll want to make the most of it!

Now just waiting for HA to start nonstop LON-HNL…
Old Mar 7, 2012, 11:04 am

Programs: Hilton HHonors Gold, Delta Silver Medallion, Hyatt Discoverist
Curious Timing

While I am psyched to have HA in the NY market, especially as I contemplate taking the family to LIH this summer, I'm less enthused about the timing of the flights, especially on the return to JFK.
The flight leaves HNL at 3 p.m., which gets you in around 7 a.m. That's all well and good if you can plop into your seat and hit the hay. I'm not one of those people. Nor can I contemplate encouraging my kids to go to to sleep. If they were still on Hawaii time, they might conk out five or six hours into the flight, but then have to be roused three hours later to get off. Knowing me, I might nod off on final approach.
All this is by way of saying the now-UA HNL-EWR has better timing, leaving at 7:25 p.m. With a little pharmaceutical help and your circadian rhythms, you're more likely to get in some Zs on that trip.
As much as I like HA, contemplating the fallout from the potential extended jet lag of that trip, especially from a 5- and 7-year-old, gives me pause. I hope they might contemplate some timing adjustrments going forward.
Old Mar 7, 2012, 1:05 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by murrayhill
While I am psyched to have HA in the NY market, especially as I contemplate taking the family to LIH this summer, I'm less enthused about the timing of the flights, especially on the return to JFK.
The flight leaves HNL at 3 p.m., which gets you in around 7 a.m. That's all well and good if you can plop into your seat and hit the hay. I'm not one of those people. Nor can I contemplate encouraging my kids to go to to sleep. If they were still on Hawaii time, they might conk out five or six hours into the flight, but then have to be roused three hours later to get off. Knowing me, I might nod off on final approach.
All this is by way of saying the now-UA HNL-EWR has better timing, leaving at 7:25 p.m. With a little pharmaceutical help and your circadian rhythms, you're more likely to get in some Zs on that trip.
As much as I like HA, contemplating the fallout from the potential extended jet lag of that trip, especially from a 5- and 7-year-old, gives me pause. I hope they might contemplate some timing adjustrments going forward.
I'm sure the Hawaiian flight time is designed to allow early connections out of JFK and not around sleeping comfort.
Old Mar 7, 2012, 1:22 pm
bpe

Programs: AS, UA
Originally Posted by billxmeredith
I'm sure the Hawaiian flight time is designed to allow early connections out of JFK and not around sleeping comfort.
Also, an early arrival and departure from JFK means that delays are much less likely.
Aircraft utilization is probably significant as well, as an earlier departure and an earlier arrival into HNL probably works well if they are going to use the aircraft on Asia flights.
Old Mar 7, 2012, 9:33 pm

Programs: Hilton HHonors Gold, Delta Silver Medallion, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by billxmeredith
That makes eminent sense. However, if the premise of the arrival time is to link up with B6 flights up and down the Eastern Seaboard, I think it's safe to say there's another bank of flights leaving to those destinations several hours later.
If UA could land a few hours later at EWR, where I suspect more than a few people also have to connect at the hub, HA could do something similar at JFK.
It may not be designed for sleeping comfort, but I suspect I wouldn't be the only miserable passenger, especially if I had to make a connection after a 9-hour plus flight.
Old Mar 8, 2012, 1:02 am

Programs: AA EXP and Eurostar Carte Blanche
The timing of the flight on the JFK-HNL leg is fantastic, though, and of course that depends on when the aircraft arrives at JFK…
Old Mar 9, 2012, 2:36 pm

Sticker Shock /// JFK - HNL - LIH

I purchase First Class tickets on the JFK / HNL / JFK flight for this June.
At the time it was not possible to book the connecting Interisland flight -- IT problems at HA.
I finally got around to booking the Interisland --- the fares are outrageous.
I travel at 3 times a year --- and I have never seen fares this high ---
for 2 round-trip tickets HNL / LIH it is just under $600.00 (in coach).

Obviously HA doesn't miss Aloha Airlines. ( I do -- pricing reasons only).

Cheers!!!!!
Old Mar 10, 2012, 11:48 am

While HNL/JFK may leave early, still nice to have another NS option.

Last edited by tdowl5757; Mar 23, 2012 at 1:33 pm
Old Mar 10, 2012, 12:57 pm

Originally Posted by VIGONE
At the time it was not possible to book the connecting Interisland flight -- IT problems at HA.

Cheers!!!!!
Just curious, what June dates/times?

Last edited by tdowl5757; Mar 10, 2012 at 1:02 pm
Old Mar 13, 2012, 5:36 pm

Programs: UA platinum, HA platinum, Hyatt, Hilton, Marriott, Priority Club, SPG
Originally Posted by VIGONE

Cheers!!!!!
Do you need very specific dates/times? HA website has saver fares for $72.30 (limited flights) and fares under $100 for quite a few flights on the random days I checked in June that I just checked. HA fares are high, but $600 for 2 round-trips in coach is really high.
Old Mar 14, 2012, 5:53 pm

Interisland HA

As I mentioned I found the fares for our June trip ( 6/8-12) higher than in the past.......
We have the 3:46 from HNL to LIH
and on the return the afternoon connection from LIH to HNL for the flight to JFK.

On the flight HNL to LIH I took the fare (an additional $10) in case we miss the the 3:46 and have to wait for the next flight -- without a penalty. We travel light and make quick connections ---to get to LIH as soon as possible.

Recently I have been taking AA from either JFK/EWR to LAX the evening before and then the morning flight from LAX directly to LIH. I think I really prefer this instead of the non stop to HNL and then the Interisland.

On the return LIH / LAX / JFK on AA 30 ---

After all the years of doing this trip -- I think after this trip I will go back to the overnight / early morning LAX connection especially having just paid a tad under $600 for 2 Interisland flights.

Best
Old Mar 15, 2012, 5:32 pm

Upgrade question: I both 2 coach tickets during the $221 one way sale in Nov... was wondering how to upgrade those to first class with miles? Can you use partner miles for an upgrade??
Old Mar 15, 2012, 8:01 pm

Originally Posted by aaucello
Upgrade question: I both 2 coach tickets during the $221 one way sale in Nov... was wondering how to upgrade those to first class with miles? Can you use partner miles for an upgrade??
I'd also appreciate any HA upgrade advice/info from regulars, especially for the JFK/HNL route, such as using EF to check inventory.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.