Wiki Posts
Search

Makani Kai Air HNL - MKK Service

Search this Thread

Old Sep 19, 2014, 11:06 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Titanium
Makani Kai Air HNL - MKK Service

I used to travel to Molokai on Island Air, however, Island Air discontinued HNL - MKK. I hear Makani Kai operates scheduled services between HNL and MKK daily on 9 seater Cessna. They have their own terminal on Lagoon Drive. $50 one way, free parking, and no TSA, sounds like a winner.

Have anyone tried it? How is the service? What should I expect with check in, boarding, and in flight experience? How long do I have to be presence before the flight? Do they have OLCI?
Old Sep 20, 2014, 7:16 am
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
https://www.makanikaiair.com/

Good price, good aircraft.
Old Sep 24, 2014, 8:47 am

Programs: AS MVPG, UA, HA, DL
Transportation to the HNL main terminal?
Old Oct 3, 2014, 3:07 am

Originally Posted by tod701
Transportation to the HNL main terminal?
Makani Kai, nor the airport does not offer transportation to the main terminal. My understanding is that the car rental shuttles also do not service the Makani Kai terminal.

Although this may be an alternative it is not good if you are coming off or connecting to another airline as you will probably have to pay to get a taxi to take you to the main terminal.
Old Apr 14, 2018, 9:29 pm

Programs: QF, HH
Sorry to resurrect this older thread, but what's the difference between flying into H'olehua and Kalaupapa, which are both on Molokai?

I understand that MKK is more common, but is there much of a difference in terms of flights, availability, cost, transport on the ground etc?
Old Apr 15, 2018, 12:53 pm
azj

Originally Posted by Catweazle
Sorry to resurrect this older thread, but what's the difference between flying into H'olehua and Kalaupapa, which are both on Molokai?

I understand that MKK is more common, but is there much of a difference in terms of flights, availability, cost, transport on the ground etc?
The difference is that they are two different towns, with two different airports. Kalaupapa is a remote strip on a small peninsula, very much isolated from the rest of the island. I wouldn't use Kalaupapa as a way to get to the rest of Molokai. You fly to Kalaupapa because you want to go there, not as an alternative for the rest of the island. Yes, it's really that remote.
Cholula likes this.
Old Apr 15, 2018, 6:19 pm

Programs: QF, HH
Ta muchly, that makes more sense now!
Old Apr 16, 2018, 2:20 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond
Originally Posted by azj
The difference is that they are two different towns, with two different airports. Kalaupapa is a remote strip on a small peninsula, very much isolated from the rest of the island. I wouldn't use Kalaupapa as a way to get to the rest of Molokai. You fly to Kalaupapa because you want to go there, not as an alternative for the rest of the island. Yes, it's really that remote.
Ta muchly, that makes more sense now!

You need permission to go to Kalaupapa. You cant just book a flight to go. It requires a permit

https://www.nps.gov/kala/planyourvisit/things2know.htm
Catweazle likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.