Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Hawaii-Based Airlines
Reload this Page >

Will Hawaiian Airlines Honor Delta Silver or United Premier Status?

Old Oct 1, 2011, 1:28 pm
Original Poster

Hi,

I am travelling on Hawaii Airlines in November. I was wondering if they will honor Delta Silver or United Premier Status so that I can get an upgrade? Any other information will be highly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
Old Oct 1, 2011, 4:47 pm

Originally Posted by coolguy007
Hi,

I am travelling on Hawaii Airlines in November. I was wondering if they will honor Delta Silver or United Premier Status so that I can get an upgrade? Any other information will be highly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
No.
Old Oct 1, 2011, 8:49 pm

Programs: CX GO, TSA Pre✓ Afflictions: TSASS
Your status with other airlines means nothing to HA.

However, HA routinely offers everyone discounted upgrades to F during the check-in process, if space is available. You should go a little early and try to buy up.

I heard they used to allow people to buy up 24 hours in advance, but I don't think they do that anymore for non-elites. You might ring them up 24 hours before your flight and ask. The worst they can say is "no".
Old Oct 9, 2011, 7:47 pm

Programs: Delta Kryptonium-Platinum Medallion, Hyatt/Hilton Diamond
Another option would be try to status match with them. Maybe they'll give you a challenege or maybe they will just reward you with status straight up. Worth a shot IMO.
Old Oct 9, 2011, 7:52 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA Exec Plat
Originally Posted by coolguy007
Hi,

Thanks in advance.
If inter-island, upgrade is usually $50 at check-in. Since flight is very very short, not even worth it.

If flying between Hawaii-Mainland, even doing a status match to HA won't help since HA doesn't offer complementary upgrades, so out of luck there as well...
Old Oct 10, 2011, 6:22 am
DCF

Programs: Etihad Guest
At the risk of being pedantic, as a Hawaiian frequent flyer I'm a bit offended that the OP asks whether they will honor elite status with another airline to give him free upgrades.

The verb honor implies an agreement that they have made. But they have not entered into any such agreement to honor someone who is a frequent flyer of another airline. And I'd be really annoyed if they did, as they don't even give those of us who are their own frequent flyers free upgrades!

For those of us who live outside the US (and I do, even though I fly around 30 domestic flights in the USA each year) we find "free" upgrades for elites one of the most pernicious aspects of the American aviation market. Because most of First Class is given away the standards are pathetic by global standards - somewhere between what we call Premium Economy and Business class - and the airlines see no reason to improve Economy class to an internationally accepted level because their elites just aspire to be gifted First.

The best thing about Hawaiian is that its standards are pitched part-way between US domestic standards and internationally accepted ones. Food is still free. IFE is being rolled out in coach. The trade-off is that if you want to sit in First Class you have to buy it. I like it!
Old Oct 10, 2011, 6:21 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA Exec Plat
Originally Posted by DCF
The best thing about Hawaiian is that its standards are pitched part-way between US domestic standards and internationally accepted ones. Food is still free. IFE is being rolled out in coach. The trade-off is that if you want to sit in First Class you have to buy it. I like it!
I don't find HA domestic First any different than other domestic product to Hawaii such as Continental (e.g. planes with AVOD, decent food, decent meal) or American, and both products are given for free to top elites.

If HA had flat bed or almost flat bed (such as some CO BF product to Hawaii or AA), then it would be different and I wouldn't expect to get it for free. But given the current F seat in Hawaiian, I think they are not competitive for their top elites.
Old Oct 12, 2011, 5:56 am
DCF

Originally Posted by 1KHI
I don't find HA domestic First any different than other domestic product to Hawaii such as Continental (e.g. planes with AVOD, decent food, decent meal) or American, and both products are given for free to top elites.

If HA had flat bed or almost flat bed (such as some CO BF product to Hawaii or AA), then it would be different and I wouldn't expect to get it for free. But given the current F seat in Hawaiian, I think they are not competitive for their top elites.
You misunderstand my point. My point is that Hawaiian coach is far superior to any other American carrier. Hawaiian first class is of a standard as poor as all other American carriers, but it is keenly priced and you get what you pay for. If they were comping it away like other carriers it would cost more.
Old Oct 12, 2011, 6:39 am

Programs: AA-EXP (1.7MM), BA-Slvr, HH-Diamond
Originally Posted by DCF
Because most of First Class is given away the standards are pathetic by global standards - somewhere between what we call Premium Economy and Business class

By most global standards, domestic business class is little more than a bench of Y seats with the middle seat folded down. Domestic F seats in the US are far better than any continental European biz seat. You can keep your "global standards". I prefer the US model over the European one.
Old Oct 12, 2011, 1:59 pm

Programs: AA, AS, WN
Originally Posted by ByrdluvsAWACO

By most global standards, domestic business class is little more than a bench of Y seats with the middle seat folded down. Domestic F seats in the US are far better than any continental European biz seat. You can keep your "global standards". I prefer the US model over the European one.
^
Old Oct 12, 2011, 2:50 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA: 2 MM
Originally Posted by 1KHI
If inter-island, upgrade is usually $50 at check-in. Since flight is very very short, not even worth it.
Yeah, $50 for a cocktail or real Coke on a 20 minute ride.
Old Oct 12, 2011, 9:14 pm
DCF

Originally Posted by ByrdluvsAWACO

But that is a silly comparison as most European full service flights are sectors which are less than two hours in length. Like flights within California or Florida!

Australia and South Africa are much more comparable in size. And Business Class is far higher quality than domestic First in the USA. (And Qantas and SAA coach have a soft product which is the equal of First Class in the USA).
Old Oct 12, 2011, 9:22 pm
EZE

Programs: All of em more or less
Originally Posted by DCF
But that is a silly comparison as most European full service flights are sectors which are less than two hours in length. Like flights within California or Florida!

Australia and South Africa are much more comparable in size. And Business Class is far higher quality than domestic First in the USA. (And Qantas and SAA coach have a soft product which is the equal of First Class in the USA).
As do US carriers on numerous longer routes like jfk-lax or atl-hnl
Old Oct 13, 2011, 5:26 am
DCF

Originally Posted by EZE
As do US carriers on numerous longer routes like jfk-lax or atl-hnl
But those are much longer business and long-haul flights respectively.

In the next month I have six Sydney-Brisbane flights on Qantas (1 hr 20), two Brisbane-Perth (5 hours) and four Brisbane-Melbourne (2 hours) as well as two Johannesburg-Cape Town (2 hours).

Each of the Australian flights - in coach - comes with food, seatback IFE, luggage and soft drinks and liquor. The South African flights have the same except the IFE.

The only US airline which can match that soft product in First Class is Continental!

Returning to the point, I'm a happy Hawaiian Airlines frequent flyer because the fact that First Class is sold but not given away means that all First Class passengers generate significant revenue, and First Class fares are pitched at levels which are consequently extremely good value for money.

Last edited by DCF; Oct 13, 2011 at 5:49 am
Old Oct 13, 2011, 6:03 am

Programs: AA-EXP (1.7MM), BA-Slvr, HH-Diamond
Cool

Originally Posted by DCF
So now you want to introduce sector length as a parameter of discussion? Then explain my PHX flights to LAX, SFO, SAN, DFW(I could go on & on) that are all 1 to 2 hour flights and yet still have a better premium cabin than the Y seats many Euro carriers try to pass off as a premium product.

On top of that, many regional jets are being installed with F seats. Show me one EU carrier with a F seat on a CRJ?

Originally Posted by DCF

What does the size of the continent have to do with anything? There are plenty of short segment flights in the US. Not every flight is transcontinental? BTW, Africa is a continent not a country, so flights over an hour in some regions would be considered international.

Your argument is all over the place. Comparing countries to continents and domestic F to international J is the proverbial apples to oranges.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.