Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Hawaii-Based Airlines
Reload this Page >

Transferring HA miles to Hilton HHonors

Old May 9, 2011, 9:35 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: AA: 2 MM

I recently transferred some miles to HHonors to top up for an award. The miles disappeared right away but it's been about 10 days and no points in the HHonors account yet. I did a search but didn't find anything that wasn't a couple of years old. Does anyone have any experience who could tell me how long I should wait before inquiring from one of the two programs? Thanks.
Old May 10, 2011, 10:35 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/16318935-post68.html
Old May 11, 2011, 12:08 am
Original Poster

Mahalo. I didn't get a call back but perhaps I called the right person from the get go. I called the HA number that in on the HHonors website.
Old Jun 13, 2011, 3:46 pm

Programs: AS 100k, AA MM, HH Dia
Thanks for the tips, I had 6k orphan miles about to expire-- I called up and had them transferred to my HHonors. I could only transfer 5K, but that's better than nothing. It only required one phone call for me, and I was sure to have HA update my profile to have my middle initial so it would exactly match my HHonors account.

The transfer process took just over three weeks from the day I called to when the miles showed up in my HHonors account... I was beginning to think something went wrong, because these miles were not earned through flying (from Live/Bing Search Club...), so I didn't want to bring any extra scrutiny to the transfer
Old Jul 30, 2011, 10:57 am

Programs: AA, UA, WN, HH, Marriott
Originally Posted by leroix
Thanks for the tips, I had 6k orphan miles about to expire-- I called up and had them transferred to my HHonors. I could only transfer 5K, but that's better than nothing. It only required one phone call for me, and I was sure to have HA update my profile to have my middle initial so it would exactly match my HHonors account.

The transfer process took just over three weeks from the day I called to when the miles showed up in my HHonors account... I was beginning to think something went wrong, because these miles were not earned through flying (from Live/Bing Search Club...), so I didn't want to bring any extra scrutiny to the transfer
Is there a limit to the number of miles you can transfer or do they just transfer them in blocks of 5K?
Old Jul 30, 2011, 11:04 am
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

The latter, as far as I know. The only restriction is that they can't be miles that were transferred in from, e.g., Amex
Old Aug 3, 2011, 10:15 am

Programs: AA, UA, WN, HH, Marriott
Originally Posted by cblaisd
The latter, as far as I know. The only restriction is that they can't be miles that were transferred in from, e.g., Amex
So does that mean I can't transfer Starwood to Hawaiian and then transfer those miles to Hilton? That was the suggested procedure as described in Inside Flyer. Where can I check to be sure?
Old Aug 3, 2011, 10:37 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JerryFF
So does that mean I can't transfer Starwood to Hawaiian and then transfer those miles to Hilton? That was the suggested procedure as described in Inside Flyer. Where can I check to be sure?
To convert HawaiianMiles into HHonors points, miles have to be earned through Hawaiian Airlines exclusively;
http://www.webflyer.com/programs/mil...84&miles=10000
Old Aug 3, 2011, 11:56 am

Originally Posted by JerryFF
So does that mean I can't transfer Starwood to Hawaiian and then transfer those miles to Hilton?
Correct.

Miles can be earned by flying HA, flying HA partners and crediting to HA, miles from HA's shopping portal, but transferred Amex or other points/miles will not count.

Inside Flyer and its mileage converter have had this mistake for quite awhile.

It is possible that you would get an HA agent who was green or forgot to check the source of your miles, but given that it's a two step verification (and talking to an HNL-based person on the second call) I wouldn't bet on it.
Old Aug 3, 2011, 12:03 pm

Programs: PC Plat, SPG Gold, HH Diamond, Hyatt plat,...
Would SPG to AA to Hilton work?

I read all about AA to Hilton and have not seen that your cannot do this.
Although all my miles are earned with aa so I have no data points to contribute.
Old Aug 3, 2011, 12:14 pm

Probably need to ask that question in a different forum.
Old Aug 3, 2011, 1:00 pm

Programs: DL Gold/MM, HH Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by cblaisd
Correct.

Miles can be earned by flying HA, flying HA partners and crediting to HA, miles from HA's shopping portal, but transferred Amex or other points/miles will not count.
What about bonus miles for getting the HA Visa card? Are those acceptable to transfer? There has been some question about this on the Million Mile Secrets blog.
Old Aug 3, 2011, 1:07 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Richard1148
What about bonus miles for getting the HA Visa card? Are those acceptable to transfer? There has been some question about this on the Million Mile Secrets blog.
Those are all fine. You earned them originally with HA. It's only miles transferred in to HA that you can't transfer elsewhere. As we've learned in OMNI, however, everything if fungible. I wonder if you transferred 50,000 in now and waited two years, what would happen.
Old Aug 3, 2011, 1:14 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by FOX85
Would SPG to AA to Hilton work?

I read all about AA to Hilton and have not seen that your cannot do this.
Although all my miles are earned with aa so I have no data points to contribute.
According to the Webflyer Mileage Converter, you can convert them directly from SPG to Hilton.
Old Aug 14, 2011, 3:40 pm
RLG

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, AA Plat, UA Silver, AS MVP, HA premier
Does anyone know how this restriction is applied in practice?

Does an agent "eyeball" your account history or is there some counter of "bad" amex miles versus "good" HA miles?

If there's a counter, how are actual flight awards redeemed - bad miles first, good miles first, old first, proportional, etc?

I've earned a lot of HA miles from HA but have also done Amex transfers in the past. I' curious whether this would affect the number of HA miles I could transfer to Hilton if I wanted to.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.