Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Hawaii-Based Airlines
Reload this Page >

HA out of LAX or SEA, which is better a better choice in first?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

HA out of LAX or SEA, which is better a better choice in first?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 14, 2011, 6:12 am
Original Poster

HA out of LAX or SEA, which is a better choice in first?

Aloha,

I am planning our trip to Hawaii and my wife and I are considering flying HA in first class. There are several options out there for a departure city. Right now, I am looking at flying out of LAX or SEA (coming from BOS).

Taking all things into consideration regarding first class transporation (ie. cabin comfort, food, on time performance, flights, etc), which departure city would you recommend? I am also open to other departure cities such as SFO, LAS, etc. As of right now, I know that out of LAX and LAS, HA uses the 330 while out of SEA, they still fly the 767. Please don't consider pricing because that changes all of the time.

Last edited by Bishope2; Feb 14, 2011 at 1:07 pm
Old Feb 14, 2011, 6:20 am

Location: AA Lifetime PLT , BA Silver , BD RIP , HH Gold, SPG / Marriott PLT , EF Subscriber
OK give us a Clue which airline are you considering from Boston to the West?

At least then we can look at Terminal/Interline/Bag Check connections
Old Feb 14, 2011, 1:13 pm
Original Poster

UncleDude, right now, I am still working on that. Our plan is to spend the night before traveling onto Hawaii. To be honest, I am not concerned. Any airline I am considering flying from BOS to the west coast all fly to Hawaii. Other than Delta, HA is the only airline providing wide body service. I don't mind picking up our bags on the west coast and checking in once again the next day. I have only heard great things about HA's service to/from Hawaii so I thought we might give them a try.

I have flown AA out of LAX and it was on a 757. They use to fly the 767 but have removed that aircraft from that route. On occasion, you will see an aircraft substituted on that route but that is rare.
Old Feb 14, 2011, 1:44 pm

Programs: BA Gold
I am also very curious to hear if someone have flown both these flights in First, and if so, can tell if they have experienced any differences between those two planes.

We will be flying First Class with HA out of SEA to HNL and back from HNL to LAX in July, so this way we will be able to experience both 767 and 330.
(This is because we will have a 4 days stopover in Seattle on our way out and a 3 days stopover in Los Angeles on our way back home to Norway. This will do the time difference - 12 hours - a little bit easier to handle. Flying BA OSL-SEA-LAX-OSL.)

So I can't give you a review of the difference between the 330 and 767 before late July.

I see that the 330 have a higher seat pitch than the 767, so I guess we will have a little better space in the 330, but I'm sure the service will be equal at both planes.

Hope you will figure out what's the best for you!

Good luck!
Old Feb 14, 2011, 10:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
Take the A330! The seats and IFE will be better.
Old Feb 14, 2011, 11:56 pm

Originally Posted by Bishope2
Other than Delta, HA is the only airline providing wide body service.
???
Old Feb 16, 2011, 5:23 pm
Original Poster

LIH Prem, GOOD CATCH! My mistake and that is not what I meant to say. I was in a rush. I know several airlines fly widebodies into Hawaii. What I should have said, widebody service out of LAX.

I was looking at on time arrival function that HA provides on all flights. Looks like the first SEA flight of the day is on time 42% of the time versus 77% for the first HA flight of the day out of LAX. Is this a weather issue?
Old Feb 16, 2011, 6:51 pm

Programs: Virgin Flying Club British Airways Executive Club
I would take HA flight 1 out of LAX for the A330 service.

-Matt
Old Feb 17, 2011, 1:43 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
LIH Prem, GOOD CATCH! My mistake and that is not what I meant to say. I was in a rush. I know several airlines fly widebodies into Hawaii. What I should have said, widebody service out of LAX.

I was looking at on time arrival function that HA provides on all flights. Looks like the first SEA flight of the day is on time 42% of the time versus 77% for the first HA flight of the day out of LAX. Is this a weather issue?
Doubtful, probably a mechanical issue with 767... look what AS can do in SEA

Just avoid that one LAS flight
Old Feb 17, 2011, 2:26 pm

Aloha,

Taking all things into consideration regarding first class transporation (ie. cabin comfort, food, on time performance, flights, etc), which departure city would you recommend? I am also open to other departure cities such as SFO, LAS, etc. As of right now, I know that out of LAX and LAS, HA uses the 330 while out of SEA, they still fly the 767. Please don't consider pricing because that changes all of the time.

I suggest taking the LAS-HNL-LAS A330 flights. LAS has a decent common use First Class lounge with open bar. Because of the size of the terminal HA uses at LAS you will be front door to lounge in 10-15 mins MAX. If you do not want to go from LAS do LAX as they have the A330 service as well. The IFE is great . The seats are nice, not lie flat but they are comfortable for the flight. Service is always exceptional on HA as well.
Old Feb 22, 2011, 3:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by bobsobe6
I suggest taking the LAS-HNL-LAS A330 flights. LAS has a decent common use First Class lounge with open bar. Because of the size of the terminal HA uses at LAS you will be front door to lounge in 10-15 mins MAX. If you do not want to go from LAS do LAX as they have the A330 service as well. The IFE is great . The seats are nice, not lie flat but they are comfortable for the flight. Service is always exceptional on HA as well.
Since the OP is coming in from BOS, it depends if it is a same day connection or an overnight in LAX/LAS. I would hate to connect to that awful international terminal in LAS that is nearly impossible to get to from the main terminal.
Old Feb 22, 2011, 5:33 pm

Originally Posted by formeraa
Since the OP is coming in from BOS, it depends if it is a same day connection or an overnight in LAX/LAS. I would hate to connect to that awful international terminal in LAS that is nearly impossible to get to from the main terminal.
There is a shuttle that runs from 0500 to 0100.
Old Feb 25, 2011, 5:53 pm

Programs: Hawaiian Air Fold, Delta Gold, SPG Platinum
I am not a fan of LAS hotels, so would stay away from that connection simply for that reason.

I suppose I would think hard about PHX or SAN. Both have the 767 but than again I don't expect that to be all that much different than the 330 but could be wrong.

I would take a look at hotels and shuttles near to the airport. And PHX and SAN are wonderful for that. I have no recent experience in SEA so will defer to others. LAX has shuttles and close Hotels but the traffic getting those shuttles to/from the terminal to the hotel are horrendous and I would avoid LAX for that reason alone.

PK
Old Feb 25, 2011, 6:02 pm

Programs: Whatever will get me out of Y and into C or F!
Bishope2,

I'd take changing planes at SEA over LAX any day of the week.

You will get a ride on the A330 some day, but dealing with the zoo that is LAX is not worth it.

You may even be able to check bags through from BOS to HNL and then just go from one gate to the other (with on-line check-in for boarding passes).

That is very much posible at SEA.

At LAX, the only U.S. airline which shares Terminal 2 with Hawaiian is Sun Country, so unless you fly from Boston on them (not possible AKAIK) you will have to go through TSA again.

http://www.lawa.org/uploadedFiles/LAX/pdf/T2.pdf

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.