Wiki Posts
Search

HA - Prevent Miles from Expiring

Search this Thread

Old Nov 15, 2010, 7:10 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt, Hilton, Marriott // WN, AA, BA, UA, AS // Avis
HA - Prevent Miles from Expiring

I've read up on various threads and on the HA website, and I know earning miles once every 18 months is the way to prevent them from expiring.

But does (a) purchasing miles count as earning? and what about (b) transferring miles from another program (such as AMEX)... does that also count as earning, thus putting off the expiration of HA miles by 18 months?

I'm planning on canceling my BofA Hawaiian Visa card prior to the renewal fee, but need a way to keep my miles active for like 3 years until my next trip to Hawaii.
Old Nov 25, 2010, 6:08 pm

You can make some extremely cheap purchases -- I just "renewed" my miles with an iTunes purchase.

I would expect that transferred/purchased miles would extend the expiration. Otherwise, if you bought miles on the last day before expiration, those miles would would be lost after one day.
Old Dec 7, 2010, 11:04 pm

You beat me to it. I was going to suggest buying a tube of toothpaste- or condoms if in a friskier mood- from walmart.com (free ship to store) via the hawaiianmiles retail link. Meow.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.