Community
Wiki Posts
Search

HA day of upgrades

Search this Thread

Old Apr 15, 2010, 5:43 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Ambassador, United 1K, Southwest Preferred Plus
HA day of upgrades

Flying from LAX to HNL on coach. Does HA allow an option to upgrade to first class at the time of check in for a price? If so does anyone know of an approx cost? Thanks.
Old Apr 16, 2010, 6:05 am

I am sure they do if space is available. I believe coach to first on interisland is still $50. Not exactly sure on that price but that is what it was back in 2008. If no one replies just call HA reservations. I am sure they could give you the exact price for your departure date.
Old Apr 16, 2010, 1:21 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Titanuim/Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Gold, United Silver
last month flew from SAn-HNL and the first calss upgrades were $300 something- don't remember exactly. When I checked in online the day before it gave the upgrade option and the price was the same as at the gate. ALso 1 ticket was a paid ticket and the other was a frequent flyer coach ticket and the upgrade proce was the same for both.
Old Apr 18, 2010, 11:23 pm

Programs: AS 75K Gold, UA Silver, Marriott LT Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, National EE
It's $399 one-way to upgrade from California to the islands. If available it will give you the option at checkin online prior to the flight. It was available on both SJC-HNL and HNL-SAN on my most recent trip.

Originally Posted by holocker
last month flew from SAn-HNL and the first calss upgrades were $300 something- don't remember exactly. When I checked in online the day before it gave the upgrade option and the price was the same as at the gate. ALso 1 ticket was a paid ticket and the other was a frequent flyer coach ticket and the upgrade proce was the same for both.
Old Apr 21, 2010, 1:00 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Is the upgrade to F on SEA/HI flights really worth it? The 767 Y seats look pretty comfortable (18" wide, 32" pitch, probably similar to their 717 seats) and we plan on bringing a laptop with downloaded movies, iPods and our own food. Not sure if the bigger seat and prestige is really worth throwing an extra $300 per person each way, especially for daylight flights.
Old Apr 21, 2010, 4:12 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
I wouldn't do it for that price (although did a couple of times back when it was $199 for a Gold upgrade).

But Y on HA is just brutal; worse than the 717 imo.
Old Apr 21, 2010, 9:48 pm

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by cblaisd
....But Y on HA is just brutal; worse than the 717 imo.
How so? 18" wide seats and 32" pitch doesn't sound bad.
Old Apr 21, 2010, 10:51 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Don't know how tall/heavy you are, but at 6'1" and, uh, girthed I found them pretty bad -- especially compared to UA's Economy Plus.
Old Apr 22, 2010, 8:16 am

Originally Posted by cblaisd
Don't know how tall/heavy you are, but at 6'1" and, uh, girthed I found them pretty bad -- especially compared to UA's Economy Plus.
I might be OK - I found the 717 seats to be uber-comfy - of course my point of reference was CO Y, so maybe I'm easy to please.
Old Apr 23, 2010, 9:17 pm

Programs: lots of little things
At 6'1" and not-so-girthed, I thought Y on HA HNL-PDX was pretty comfy, definitely above average. I'd definitely do it again. What exactly did you find brutal?
Old May 7, 2010, 11:17 pm

Programs: HA Pualani Platinum, National EC Executive, UA & AAdvantage
Flew HA 7 (LAS-HNL) on my way home to LIH today after a nice Vegas vacation. On the LCD screens at the check-in counter, the following upgrade rates were displayed: $349 non-elite passengers, $225 Pualani Platinum members and $275 Pualani Gold members.

I would presume these rates to be the same or very near close to the upgrade rates for the other HA mainland-HNL routes.

Also of note, I did OLCI just to see if upgrades were available and then called HA reservations for the discount mileage upgrade rate...agent said for Pualani Gold (which is me), the rate to upgrade day-of-departure is now 25,000 miles. It was previously 17,500. I would presume that the rate also increased for Platinums.
Old May 8, 2010, 9:14 am

Originally Posted by HA/UA_Flyer
....agent said for Pualani Gold (which is me), the rate to upgrade day-of-departure is now 25,000 miles.
And within very recent memory it was 15K.
Old May 8, 2010, 7:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
Originally Posted by bocastephen
Is the upgrade to F on SEA/HI flights really worth it? The 767 Y seats look pretty comfortable (18" wide, 32" pitch, probably similar to their 717 seats) and we plan on bringing a laptop with downloaded movies, iPods and our own food. Not sure if the bigger seat and prestige is really worth throwing an extra $300 per person each way, especially for daylight flights.
$300 is reasonable considering that HA's first class is quite nice.
Old May 19, 2010, 4:55 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
...and as a point of comparison...

AS has a nice product as well (737 vs. 767 I know)

Their upgrades to/from Hawaii are as follows:

Code:
One-Way Trip 
Miles  	        Price

1,251 - 2,500 	$100
2,501 - 3,750 	$150

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.