Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > GLBT Travelers
Reload this Page >

Anyone been to Moscow lately?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Anyone been to Moscow lately?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 15, 2010, 1:41 pm
Suspended

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/07/15/fa...5sex.html?_r=1

Didn't have a chance to read the article, but it looked somewhat applicable.
Old Jul 22, 2010, 9:02 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, BA Gold, Bonvoy Ambassador, HH Gold
Originally Posted by AJLondon
google some of the below key words and you should find some revealing news articles:

moscow, russia, neo nazi, skinhead, asian, black, gay
Sorry, I knew all that I was asking if there was something in particular that s/he had experienced on his/her trip. Additionally, most of the attacks aren't in the center of the city. Much of it happens in the suburbs where both the skinheads and the traders from asia and the central asian republics tend to live.

Originally Posted by exc3ll
It's mostly at nights when we walked around town. I had that feeling. We got on a cab to go to three monkeys and we pointed out on the map to go to the metro station nearby. The cab driver took us out of town and kept driving so I freaked out and asked him where we were going. Apparently he misunderstood and he ended up yelled at us. So that was scary!
Sadly, gypsy cabs in Moscow are a huge problem. It's always better to use a cab service, but next to impossible to order one unless you speak Russian. Sorry you had a bad experience.
Old Jul 25, 2010, 1:02 pm

Programs: BA Gold, TG Gold, HHonors Diamond, SPG Plat
I had a great time in Moscow on business and on leisure. Arrrived early Saturday morning (flight scheduled and not my choice). However, I did pre-arrange with about a week's notice for a gay travel guide (with his own car shuttle me around) I found over the internet.

It was great as the travel firm had a few standard tours and I asked for a couple of modification for my interest so it was really a customised tour. The day tours were standard tourist sights (I did two day tours). The night one was a quick whizz of Moscow's night lights follows by a visit to a cafe, bar (with drag acts still big in Moscow) and a disco (which I declined to go to bed).

Best way to get the most out of Moscow (both tourist and gay bits)
Old Sep 7, 2010, 8:53 am

Programs: NH Super Flyer (*G), Eurostar Carte Blanche, IHG Platinum, Hilton Gold, Accor ALL Gold
Can anyone recommend any nice bars in Moscow (not necessarily gay, casual yet not clubby -- unless you mean gentlemen's club rather than scantily clad women clubby -- and certainly no Russian-style velvet rope "face control")?

Last edited by mcg1000; Sep 7, 2010 at 10:58 am
Old Sep 11, 2010, 7:54 am
BCH

Both O2(on top of the Ritz) and GQ are cool mainstream places, with gay clientele.

If you wanted exclusively gay, you have several options, including "Numbers 911" (a bar which becomes a club, just off Tverskaya Street) and Body & Soul (harder to get to if you don't speak Russian, so take a cab).

Enjoy!
Old Sep 11, 2010, 10:11 am

Programs: NH Super Flyer (*G), Eurostar Carte Blanche, IHG Platinum, Hilton Gold, Accor ALL Gold
I'm travelling with my sister as well as my partner, so exclusively gay is out this time. Thanks for these recommendations. I'll try both the O2 and GQ.
Old Sep 12, 2010, 10:48 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, BA Gold, Bonvoy Ambassador, HH Gold
Originally Posted by mcg1000
I'm travelling with my sister as well as my partner, so exclusively gay is out this time. Thanks for these recommendations. I'll try both the O2 and GQ.
I would also try Strelka near the old Red October Chocolate factory - very hip and great views out over the river and the Christ the Savior church:

http://strelkainstitute.com/en/projects/bar/

I would also check out Mayak on Bol. Nikitskaya. Fun area, great place.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.