Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > GLBT Travelers
Reload this Page >

OKTOBERFEST GAYLA 2009: Munich, Germany Sept 18-20 “Will Bavaria Ever Be The Same?”

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

OKTOBERFEST GAYLA 2009: Munich, Germany Sept 18-20 “Will Bavaria Ever Be The Same?”

Search this Thread

Old Jan 11, 2009, 11:13 am

Originally Posted by TravisMT81
In college I had three in my twin size bed.
in college, we were all 1/4 the size of the twin size bed so it's no stranger to have 4 people in the bed

I don't think we can even fit 2 people on a twin size bed now... can't we?
Old Jan 11, 2009, 2:29 pm

Originally Posted by olafman
Rumor has it that all of the tents are going smoke free this year. All restaurants are smoke free but some bars allow smoking.

Bavarians are VERY serious about their drinking and smoking so most people think that smoking will still be allowed this year. It's kind of part of the whole Oktoberfest institution.

Even if they ban smoking in the tents, I'm sure there will be an area attached to each tent for the smokers without losing their place inside the tent.
I am very sensitive to smoke, and I don't recall it being a big issue when I went O'fest a few years back. Granted, the mas(ses) of beer help dull the senses, but I don't think this should be a deal breaker.
Old Jan 11, 2009, 3:06 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Hertz Gold
that is good to hear PHL, I am very sensitive to smoke as well.
Old Jan 11, 2009, 4:50 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, Marriott
Last time, I remember being outdoors, where the Frau's had no problem nestling 20 steins of beer or chicken for your pleasure.

So, on to important questions: Who's dressing up? In leather, or lace?
Old Jan 12, 2009, 9:29 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL Plat, US Chairman, SPG Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, IC RA
FYI on cheap(ish) places to stay, apparently the Renaissance Munich is going for $100/night on Priceline. It's not particularly close to the Four Points, but it's cheaper...

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hotel...priceline.html
Old Jan 12, 2009, 9:48 am

Originally Posted by stratofortress
the Renaissance Munich
It's also a straight shot on the subway from the Renaissance to the O'fest grounds, and the LH bus to/from the airport stops very close by.
Old Jan 12, 2009, 4:05 pm

Programs: DL PlatMM, BA and Alaska Emerald, HHonors DIA, Accor, Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat Amb, UA Silver, AA
Originally Posted by stratofortress
FYI on cheap(ish) places to stay, apparently the Renaissance Munich is going for $100/night on Priceline. It's not particularly close to the Four Points, but it's cheaper...

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hotel...priceline.html
I just did it!
I don't have enough SPG points--and even if I did, 8500 points for that 4Pts is bit rich for me. I stayed there a few years ago, and it's more Desert Moon than W.
My offer of $95 was rejected, but $101 was accepted, for 9/19-9/21. I usually wouldn't do this so far in advance, but the reviews on TripAdvisor are generally good, and it's near transit, so.... why not?
I'm officially "In"..... PL also offered me to extend my stay for more days at the same $101 rate, for those staying longer than I am.....
ALSO: if you go directly to the Renaissance web site you can get a much better deal than I did, in my opinion: For EUR121, including taxes, you get free breakfast, welcome drink, and 3-day transit pass, PLUS it's cancellable till the day before. Why oh why do I get sucked into Priceline???
Anyway, I'm still going so there is something good about it, right?

Last edited by kyushuman; Jan 12, 2009 at 4:54 pm
Old Jan 12, 2009, 6:07 pm

Programs: Bombay Sapphire; Sephora Plat
Originally Posted by itsaboutthejourney
Apparently there is. If I do this trip you may end up bunking with me.
I'm booked in the Renaissance (120€/night, deluxe room, breakfast for two, welcome drinks, spa access and metro card for the weekend included) but I can cancell it until 6 PM on 9.18 at no charge! so I'll keep it on hold until you decide if we end up bunking!

Last edited by dragonfirebcn; Jan 12, 2009 at 7:31 pm Reason: blond moment #4
Old Jan 12, 2009, 6:54 pm

Programs: AA Platinum
I also booked the Reinassance, good deal. A real plus for me since I'm a Marriott point collector.
Old Jan 12, 2009, 7:43 pm

Programs: Priceline Titanium
Peer Pressure.

I am not certain I can go, but I booked the Renaissance so that I have an option to.

If I do go, is anyone else continuing on after the weekend to either Berlin or Vienna?
Old Jan 12, 2009, 10:41 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, National Executive Elite, Avis First, Hertz PC
Germany has been on my list since I was in high school...I really wanted to do our GAPP high school exchange program, but my parents didn't like the idea of hosting a student for a month (nor the idea of me being half way across the world for a month).

So tempting, I'll be actively planning and would definitely try to maximize my trip with visiting a few other places...
Old Jan 12, 2009, 10:56 pm

Programs: AA EXP, A3 Gold
Originally Posted by FlyBalletGuy
Peer Pressure.

I am not certain I can go, but I booked the Renaissance so that I have an option to.
Seriously. I have no free will. I just booked the Renaissance as well. How can one pass up Gay Oktoberfest in Germany?!?! And it's my birthday on the 19th.
Old Jan 12, 2009, 11:29 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA: 2 MM
I don't know how I managed to miss this. I guess I haven't been paying attention. Nevertheless, a city I like and an incredibly charming host (and even a couple of attendees I like ) make this rather irresistible. Put me down as a definite maybe! I reserved the Renaissance to be safe for now.

Last edited by ILuvParis; Jan 13, 2009 at 12:04 am
Old Jan 13, 2009, 12:20 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA2MM LIFETIME PLT, Turkish Miles&Smiles Elite, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by ILuvParis
I don't know how I managed to miss this. I guess I haven't been paying attention. Nevertheless, a city I like and an incredibly charming host (and even a couple of attendees I like ) make this rather irresistible. Put me down as a definite maybe! I reserved the Renaissance to be safe for now.
Yeah, a Jeff is coming. Is it Jeff or Jeffs?
Old Jan 13, 2009, 4:04 am

Originally Posted by kyushuman
I just did it!
I don't have enough SPG points--and even if I did, 8500 points for that 4Pts is bit rich for me. I stayed there a few years ago, and it's more Desert Moon than W.
My offer of $95 was rejected, but $101 was accepted, for 9/19-9/21. I usually wouldn't do this so far in advance, but the reviews on TripAdvisor are generally good, and it's near transit, so.... why not?
I'm officially "In"..... PL also offered me to extend my stay for more days at the same $101 rate, for those staying longer than I am.....
ALSO: if you go directly to the Renaissance web site you can get a much better deal than I did, in my opinion: For EUR121, including taxes, you get free breakfast, welcome drink, and 3-day transit pass, PLUS it's cancellable till the day before. Why oh why do I get sucked into Priceline???
Anyway, I'm still going so there is something good about it, right?
damn it, the deal is gone! I was about to book it and now it is over 300 euro!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.