FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   GLBT Travelers (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/glbt-travelers-218/)
-   -   Ibiza (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/glbt-travelers/863350-ibiza.html)

RyanMiles Sep 6, 2008 9:59 am

Ibiza

I would like to go back to Ibiza in August next year. I went for the first time in June 2004. I did not know it was off peak season, so I didn't like it very much. I thought it was boring and the beaches aren't as nice as Mykonos. The gay bars were all hidden away and were in seedy areas. I went to Anfora, and it wasn't very busy. Someone in London told me that the best weekends in Ibiza are the first and second weekends in August. I am assuming that would mean August 7 8 9 or 14 15 16 for 2009.

Is this really the best time to go? Also, how fun are those circuit clubs like Pacha or Space, etc...? or is it just a bunch of straights and some queers running around on ecstasy and Tina?

What is a good place to stay? And is it a really fun time for queers in August?

Thanks for your help.

Scott218 Jul 9, 2009 10:05 pm

I am tentatively heading to Ibiza early September and would like some advice on the scene during that time. I did some research and notice that it's worthwhile to go to Amnesia, Space and Anfora. Are they close to each other and hop-able?

jrehfeldt Jul 10, 2009 3:45 am

Where did you do your research...I can't seem to find out anything.

Scott218 Jul 10, 2009 9:09 am

I did a search on Flyertalk and also online.
Most of the information suggests that July is the best month to go and nothing much on September. Are you planning to go to Ibiza as well before the Munich Gayla?

PM if you want and we can share details.

itsaboutthejourney Jul 10, 2009 7:36 pm

paging dragonfirebcn! I think he can provide some current info about seasonal changes in Ibiza

Hopefully dollaroff will also post his Ibiza thoughts as soon as he returns.

dragonfirebcn Jul 13, 2009 9:08 am

Originally Posted by itsaboutthejourney (Post 12047217)
paging dragonfirebcn! I think he can provide some current info about seasonal changes in Ibiza

Why me? ;)
well, i don't understand how someone can have a bad time in Ibiza in June, of that is just perfect! the island is still not invaded by italians and you can really enjoy of everything.

Any time during the summer is quite OK to go. From late may to early october there's parties everywhere everyday. August is a bit overcrowded for my personal taste, but that won't compell me from going there this year (aug 14-17).

About the 'scene', well, is completely overrated...I don't like the gay places there, and being me more of a clubber, I would prefer to go to Amnesia rather than to Anfora for a night. For gay clubbing, SPACE is the place to go, and some days @ Amnesia would be pretty gay too...anyway, in any club (or any parking lot of any club:rolleyes:) you'll find a lot fo gay guys to party with!

My advice: the best way to enjoy the island and to discover everything it has to offer (including the nice hidden beaces!) is to let a local guide you around!

Scott218 Jul 14, 2009 8:32 am

Dragonfire, I might have to draw on your local skills if I am able to fit Ibiza into my trip. Thinking about staying there for 3 days or so.

KenJohn Jul 14, 2009 5:36 pm

July and August are the top months for Ibiza although I understand that the gay scene on the island has been fairly quiet so far given there are less holidaymakers from around Europe with available cash to get spend at the bars. UK holidaymakers are low as well given the current weak UK currency.

wiredboy10003 Jul 18, 2009 9:12 am

I was there with dollaroff a few days ago and I'll throw in my two cents. I've been to Barcelona, Sitges, and the Costa Brava many, many times. This was my first time in Ibiza. To me, it had aspects of both Sitges and the country around BCN. It's really the clubs which make it different from anywhere else. Clubs which hold 10,000 people and have a $70 admission!

Though there were gay people, and a smallish gay street in the town, it didn't strike me as particularly gay. And a local told me that it's billed as a 'family' destination with clubs for those who want them. I'm not really into the club thing so I probably won't go back. I'm glad I can say I've been there though.

August is probably the ultimate time to go since all of Europe is off the entire month...

holtju2 Jul 19, 2009 6:54 am

Originally Posted by wiredboy10003 (Post 12085568)
Clubs which hold 10,000 people and have a $70 admission!

$70 admission unless you go there with a local who knows the bouncers as happened on my case.

koksy Jul 19, 2009 7:47 am

Originally Posted by wiredboy10003 (Post 12085568)
I was there with dollaroff a few days ago and I'll throw in my two cents. I've been to Barcelona, Sitges, and the Costa Brava many, many times. This was my first time in Ibiza. To me, it had aspects of both Sitges and the country around BCN. It's really the clubs which make it different from anywhere else. Clubs which hold 10,000 people and have a $70 admission!

Though there were gay people, and a smallish gay street in the town, it didn't strike me as particularly gay. And a local told me that it's billed as a 'family' destination with clubs for those who want them. I'm not really into the club thing so I probably won't go back. I'm glad I can say I've been there though.

August is probably the ultimate time to go since all of Europe is off the entire month...

I wasn't going to comment on this thread as I thought my opinion might make me sound like a grumpy old man but it's nice to know i'm not the only one who desn't rate Ibiza!

Now before we start, don't get me wrong, I love a great night out clubbing and I love my dance music. However, like 99.9% of the people there I don't know any locals who know the bouncers so spending $70 to get into a club where everybody is off their face and you have to take out a mortgage to buy a beer, partying from stupid o'clock til stupid o'clock around lots of straight people, then spending the day in bed feeling lousy and missing the sunshine isn't my idea of a good holiday.

The gay scene was boring. The gay beach was great (in fact the best part of the holiday) but one hell of a trek to get to!

Ibiza is way over-hyped. I wouldn't say it is a dump but there are far nicer places to go to. I found it much more orientated towards families and drunken young straight people than towards the gay crowd.

Oh yes and then there were the mosquitos...

MegatopLover Jul 19, 2009 8:33 am

$70 might be a lot for a basic cover charge, but by North American standards, $70 isn't that much to pay for admission to major club nights or circuit parties. $70 is pretty much middle of the range for such things, and major events commonly run up to $100 or more. Compared to that yardstick, the megaclubs in Ibiza aren't out of line. Of course, at such events in the US, the crowd is very heavily gay, so you don't have to deal with the drunks starting fights and you can be fairly confident that checking someone out won't get you a punch in the face.

It's interesting to see the comments in this thread about the scene in Ibiza. I've been curious about it but never felt the uncontrollable urge to go. I suppose my thinking is that if I'm going to take the trouble to go to Spain, I really want to see the country, not spend all night inside a club. For Europeans, I'm sure the perspective is different since you've likely already been to the Spanish mainland and it's so much easier to get there.

abcedaria Jul 20, 2009 5:59 am

I went to Ibiza in May. I really never had any intention of going, but my boyfriend said he wanted to go and I was already in BCN to see him, so what ever. We went for four days, and it was wonderfully dead. We didn't club very much, but when we did we either got in free due to our hotel owning the clubs, or we'd met people who could get us in either free or massively discounted. It's not really hard to meet locals. Friends and I tend to stumble upon where the locals are in most places, and drinking buddies are generally pretty quick to form. Having said that, I'm not much of a club person, and I found them a bit overrated. If they had been full, I'm sure I would have hated them. I'm not into massive crowds of sweaty people pushing against me. I'd rather sit in a bar and chill. And even though we got in free, the drinks prices are still unbelievable. And not in a good way.

Ibiza is nice to explore. But I wouldn't bother going there unless I took him along.

dollaroff Jul 23, 2009 9:46 pm

Originally Posted by itsaboutthejourney (Post 12047217)

I had a fantastic time in Ibiza. However, I was planning to go to Ibiza for the discos and the DJs. I could have cared less about the gay scene there.

I went to the following discos: Privilege, Amnesia, Pacha and Space (5 total nights). None of them were for gay nights either. I met gay guys at everyone of those nights. But, those nights were not anything near a circuit club; they're very str8 (not even "mixed"). I was planning to go to Amnesia for a gay night, but I was way too tired to go out that night.

The discos are very expensive, but I knew that going into my trip. First, they're expensive of the Dollar->Euro conversion (60€ becomes $90), and second, you do it almost every night. If you go to a circuit party in the States, you're spending $50-$100 for your ticket. When I go to Avalon on a normal Saturday night, I spend somewhere between $15-$35 (maybe even guest list for free) for entry. Overall, gay circuit parties usually have a higher cover than a similar str8 dance event.
But, we got guest listed twice, and got discounts the rest of the time.

Also, I prefer non-vocal house music when I go out dancing which is the opposite of what most circuit DJs play. Danny Tengalia was supposed to have a residency at Space on Thursdays, but cancelled (thankfully, I saw him again at Avalon in June). No other similar DJs played in Ibiza when I was there (like Victor Calderone or Peter Rauhofer).

Wiredboy10003 and I had a fun time one night going to a bunch of different small gay bars and drinking, but it's not a very "gay" neighboorhood.

We stayed in Playa d' en Bossa where our flat was right on the beach. There was no need to find any other beaches on the island. I know there are gay (nude?) beaches, but I would hit them up in BCN/Sitges instead.

Based on my friends were discussing (and if you're single), probably Sitges is better if you want gay beaches and to easily meet gays (rather than Ibiza or Mykonos).

I also went to Mykonos on my trip, and I felt this way: You go to Spain to find a man, and take him to Greece for a holiday. For me, Spain was better to meet single people my age, and in Mykonos, everyone was nice, but either coupled (and looking for fun with couples), or at least 10y+ older than me. Mykonos has a big barrier to entry for the cost to get there.

Would I go back? Absolutely! But, again, I have a different focus than others here. I loved BCN too, and I can't wait to return.

wiredboy10003 Jul 24, 2009 8:28 am

Originally Posted by dollaroff (Post 12114751)
Wiredboy10003 and I had a fun time one night going to a bunch of different small gay bars and drinking, but it's not a very "gay" neighborhood.

LOL, 'neighborhood' as in a street that's six feet wide and a block long!