Wiki Posts
Search

Capetown / Johannesburg

Search this Thread

Old Aug 1, 2008, 9:03 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K / US DMS / DL PM
Capetown / Johannesburg

I would like to visit South Africa in late February / early March next year. I had a few questions about Capetown and Johannesburg:

Is Johannesburg worth visiting? I have read some things that it is like L.A. with a dangerous downtown. The gay life is in the suburbs. The gay clubs/bars are dismal. Should I just skip it altogether?

Which has a better gay scene? Capetown or Johannesburg How are the bars/clubs/saunas in each.

Is Capetown really that great? I have been all over Europe, Australia, New Zealand, and the U.S./Canada. What I am saying is I don't want to get off that plane (I will be flying from the U.S.) and be disappointed. I mean is it as good as the mountains in Switzerland, the Fjords in Norway, or Queenstown, New Zealand.

Is the gay scene in Capetown / Johannesburg fun? I am used to the nightlife in big cities. I can enjoy the nightlife of small cities, but are Capetown and Johannesburg cities where the gay nightlife is mostly only on Fridays and Saturdays. I will be visiting for gay pride so I am sure the bars and clubs will be fun.

I am looking to fly South African Airways between JNB and CPT. The award availability is awful. They have flights every hour and some days in February (such as 27 FEB) there are no economy seats available, only limited business seats. I checked prices and they are awful too. 300 U.S. dollars rountrip to fly a 2 hour flight. Does SA limited award seats like US Airways does even months out? Does SA open up more award seats as the dates get closer?

I am just scared that I will end the trip thinking why did I waste my time when I could have gone to Europe or something like that.

Thanks for your help.

Last edited by RyanMiles; Aug 1, 2008 at 9:29 am
Old Aug 1, 2008, 9:35 am

South Africa is an amazing country, with spectacular scenery and wonderful safaris (I particularly recommend Gomo Gomo.) Capetown is great and the wharf area and table mountain are beautiful.

That being said, while there is some gay life, I would definetly not fly all the way there for the gay life. There is much much more gay life in Madrid, Barcelona, Berlin, Paris, etc, etc, etc. There are really only a very few clubs, and the only nights that it is busy at all are Fridays and Saturdays.

Do a search on the web for gay life in Capetown and you will not find much.

I definetly will go back and find that there are many things to recommend it (including the fact that the dollar is strong against the Rand), but if you are going for the gay life, you will be disappointed.

One more thing. We had absolutely no problem for the entire 12 days or so that we were there, but we did read many things in the paper about houses being invaded and rampant crime. So at the very least, be careful.
Old Aug 1, 2008, 2:58 pm

Programs: Priority Club Platinum, Skywards Gold, BAEC Silver, SAA Voyager
Cape Town is an amazing city and if you go in February that is the time the annual Pride festival takes place. That being said Cape Town is not as good a gay destination as it once was. Lots of clubs/bars have now closed and although the Bronx remains; it has moved across the road and is hardly the venue it once was. I would goto Cape Town for the food, wine, tourist sites etc. I love the place. As for Johannesburg, IMHO avoid the place like the plague! Although not as bad as the press would have you believe, nevertheless it has a tension about it and is just not a very nice place. If you do goto JNB then make sure you visit the Apartheid Museum, brilliant and very eye opening. Also the Soweto tour is worth your time doing. Melville in JNB has some decent bars/bistros.
Old Aug 1, 2008, 8:23 pm

Programs: Mucci Platinum Hairbrush des Bonnes Nouvelles. BA LTG, Bonvoy LTP, AA LTS, KL LTPt, Easy Flight Club
I'd pass on Joburg also unless you want to use it as a jumping off point for Kruger or one of the associated game reserves. The city itself is pretty unremarkable, certainly not worth a trip from LA IMHO

Cape Town on the other hand is one of my favourite cities although I'd agree with the other posters that it isn't a great gay destination per se. Weather should be great in Feb though and there's plenty to see and do (Robben Island, Cape of Good Hope, Table Mountain) plus excellent bars and restaurants (all cheap in $).

But if the gay scene is the big driver I'd pass on CPT and head for Sydney and catch Mardi Gras then head up the coast for a few days.

If you have the time and inclination though, I'd look at Cape Town combined with some game viewing either elsewhere in SA or up on the Zimbabwe / Zambia / Vic Falls area which is fine to visit regardless of Mugabe (although you won't find any gay scene at all!)

Incidentally, there are a few discount carriers flying the JNB - CPT route which you have to book direct on their own websites so might be worth checking them out

cheers

Fritz
Old Aug 2, 2008, 5:44 pm

Programs: UA 1P
I went to Cape Town a few years ago with a group of 20 gay male friends, so we sort of created our own "gay nightlife" anywhere we went, so I don't have a strong sense of the gay scene. We rented two large houses next to each other in Camps Bay and had an amazing time. We did go to a few private parties (one with several hundred guys) and had fun with all the folks we met.

But to your question about Cape Town being "worth it" from the perspective of setting and scenery, I absolutely recommend it. It is simply stunning. And there is SO much to see and do, along with great food, incredibly cultural diversity, wonderful beaches, the wine country, etc. I would love to go back again! And ditto on the recommendation to pair time in Cape Town with a safari of 2-3 days in Kruger. We did three days at Ngala (http://www.ngala.co.za/) and loved it. I can't speak highly enough of the quality of the experience. My sister visited South Africa a few years before me and did a safari at Londolozi, and she also raves about. Both are high end private game reserves.
Old Aug 3, 2008, 4:03 am

Programs: BA Gold, TG Gold, HHonors Diamond, SPG Plat
It really depends what you are really after.

Cape Town will give you a good selection of good holiday things to do.
Great food at a good price, good wine, fantastic scenery, a bit of sun and surf and the opportunity to see nature at its best along the Garden route. The fact that Cape Town as a small gay scene is just a small part of the total package.

Suggest you give JNB a miss.

If you are after a totally gay-focused holiday focusing on clubs, bars, naked beaches, anonymous ... in the dunes during the day and dark rooms at night, then try looking up Maspalomas Carnival in Gran Canaria which is around that time of year. You get the party atmosphere (bring a costume to blend in with the locals), beach, bars , sun and also scenery if you choose to hire a car to drive around the island. Good and Great Spanish food but only if you find out where to go to. Otherwise it is cheap chicken and chips around every corner.

You fly to LPA so with *Alliance then look at Spanair flights from MAD.

If you can delay your trip to the end of April then Queens Day in AMS is the party place in Europe.
Old Aug 4, 2008, 9:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Really just echoing what others have written.

Capetown is an amazing city. The gay scene was pretty good; there is certainly better, closer. JNB should be nothing more than a pit stop either on your way to CPT or on your way to a safari in Kruger. If you're going to trek all the way to CPT, I would highly recommend you add on a safari, and do it right, i.e., at a high-end place. We stayed at Thornybush Main Lodge and had a fantastic time. There are probably lots of recommendations on flyertalk. I think 2-3 nights of safari is enough. We did 2 -- which meant 4 x 3-4hr game drives (2 per day).

In CPT we stayed at a gay B&B-type place called The Glen. I would recommend it. I also think you'll want a rental car, though note they drive on the opposite side of the road.

Lastly, I also recommend a night or two in the wine country (Cape Winelands) -- Franschoek or Stellenbosch. Stunning scenery - more beautiful than Tuscany, IMHO. We enjoyed our stay at the Franschoek Country House.

In between CPT and the winelands, we did a driving tour toward Cape Point, including the penguin colony at the Boulders near Simons Town.

Good luck!
Old Aug 5, 2008, 4:01 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, DL former Gold, AA, SPG, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
I would also recommend staying at the Glen in CPT. Great location, great staff and just a wonderful city to be in. I ended up adding an extra week to my trip, because I just didn't want to leave! ^
Old Aug 10, 2008, 12:35 pm

Programs: A shadow of my former self
I echo what others have said. Nowhere in the developing world is worth going to as a gay disco/bathhouse destination, IMHO. But South Africa is absolutely worth visiting if you want to see beautiful things, meet interesting people, and have life-changing experiences. After my partner & I went, we sent my parents and we're about to go again with his parents.

We posted our point of view in the Africa forum... Post #11 here http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=301317 and Post #12 here http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=301331

David
Old Aug 16, 2008, 6:42 am

Programs: UA Plat, 2MM
Skip Jo'burg. Cape Town is beautiful, but it (and the gay life) is NOT what you experience in a large European city.
Old Sep 26, 2008, 9:47 am

Programs: Priceline Titanium
bumping this thread up for friend - any new information on Capetown?
Old Sep 26, 2008, 5:18 pm

Programs: QF LTS, Marriott LTP, ALL GOLD
I'd be interested if anyone knows what is on for NYE. I'm heading to CPT from 28DEC-5JAN.

Thanks
Old Sep 26, 2008, 8:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Most
Originally Posted by TonyBurr
Skip Jo'burg. Cape Town is beautiful, but it (and the gay life) is NOT what you experience in a large European city.
Personally I would not skip Jo'burg but rather spend a night or two there.

Nobody should go to Capetown expecting to have a great gay entertainment there. Overall the city is just another city but the scenery nearby is just stunning.
Old Oct 1, 2008, 1:05 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus, Skymiles, EleVAte founding member, SPG
Anyone visit Cape Town lately? Any thoughts on bars/restaurants, etc.? Thank you.
Old Oct 4, 2008, 5:07 pm

I was there in January 2008. If you've been to the Gay Village in Cape Town before you wont recognise the place at the moment! The whole block (yes the WHOLE block!) that Bronx bar, a few other gay bars and the gay club were on, going right up to just opposite Cafe Manhattan was on was a HUGE hole in the ground like they were digging foundations for a new building. Bronx bar (www.bronx.co.za) has moved across the street to the opposite corner to where it used to be. It's smaller than it used to be although still busy and has a dancefloor. There was talk of opening upstairs though. This was the only gay place to go dancing as the gay clubs seem to have gone with the redevelopment taking place. I like the music in Bronx though.

2 doors along from Bronx was a large trendy bar called The Loft. I found it a bit strange though- the actual bar was very small and everybody was sitting down being served at tables. Very strange atmosphere and quite a pretentious place. About 2 doors along in the other direction was another bar called Beau-Lah (www.beaulahbar.co.za) which was ok and seemed to be the most popular hangout for the lesbian community. Still plenty of guys there as well. Keep walking past Beau-Lah and turn right and you will find Bar Code (www.leatherbar.co.za) which is Cape Town's dress code bar complete with backroom. It was mostly quiet though (which was a shame cos I really liked it there) except when it was underwear night when it was very busy. Cafe Manhattan (www.manhattan.co.za) is, of course, still there (that block being just adjacent to the huge hole in the ground) and continues to be busy in both the bar and Restaurant. This and Bronx were really the only 2 places you could Guarantee it would be busy when I was there. Hothouse sauna (www.hothouse.co.za) is also still there and is a busy large sauna definitely worth a visit if you enjoy that kind of thing.

Despite the fact that Cape Town's gay scene has been ripped apart by the extensive redevelopment, dont let this put you off going. Theres still enough gay life to keep you going but don't expect to be partying until 10am! As has been said, its a beautiful place (especially the gay beach at Sandy Bay) and the restaurants are superb. Andiamo and The Nose in the Cape Quarter behind Cafe Manhattan are my faves. As I say, this was January 2008 so things may have picked up since then.

Last edited by koksy; Oct 4, 2008 at 5:16 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.