FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   GLBT Travelers (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/glbt-travelers-218/)
-   -   London bars for 40 somethings? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/glbt-travelers/770605-london-bars-40-somethings.html)

1bentley Dec 21, 2007 10:23 am

London bars for 40 somethings?

I will be in London for business Jan 6-12 and staying in Knightsbridge, any suggestions or favorites?

HomeAgain Dec 21, 2007 12:10 pm

Originally Posted by 1bentley (Post 8935682)
I will be in London for business Jan 6-12 and staying in Knightsbridge, any suggestions or favorites?

40-something what?
40-something bears?
40-something piano bar patrons?
40-something twinks? ;)

dieselbear Dec 21, 2007 5:12 pm

The first week in January is a good time to explore because things aren't too crowded. Be sure to pick up free copies of QX and Boyz for current listings. (QX Men and Tug inside Boyz have the friskier listings.) Attitude magazine is also a good source.

Couple of suggestions:

Sunday: Royal Vauxhall Tavern, early evening (eclectic crowd).
Early in the week: Shadow Lounge (S&M -- stand and model, but early week isn't too, too.)
Friday: Kings Arms (bear)

There isn't much in Knightsbridge proper, but the lounge on the fifth floor of Harvey Nick's is swish and amusing.

stevetx5 Dec 21, 2007 7:50 pm

Some suggestions

I'm past the 40's and have never felt uncomfortable in any pub/bar in London. A couple of suggestions are

The Quebec (close to Marble Arch) - for the older crowd and those that love them.

Any of the pubs on Old Compton St in Soho (Comptons, Admiral Duncan)

ESPECIALROB Dec 22, 2007 6:23 am

My favourite bar in London is 79 CXR (79 Charing Cross Road). It's close to the Leicester Square Tube Station. 40 somethings should be very comfortable there! www.79cxr.com 79 CXR is a short walk from the bars on Old Compton Street (Comptons & Admiral Duncan) just mentioned in the previous post.

UAkls Dec 22, 2007 2:21 pm

I am mid-40s and I usually go to: Comptons, Barcode, The Yard, and XXL on Saturday nights. Rupert Street has a somewhat younger crowd, but I still feel comfortable there. I think CXR has gone downhill the last few years.

Fritz Jan 2, 2008 8:19 pm

The Yard is nice. Champions in Notting Hill used to be a nice neighbourhood bar but I haven;t been there in quite a while. Also the Box in Covent Garden

DCBob Jan 5, 2008 3:39 pm

For 40+ men, I recommend 79 CXR, Comptons, Admiral Duncan, and Barcode. Stay away from Rupert Street. The biggest cruise bar on the list is 79 CXR. It's a certainty that someone will come up and talk to you there (whether you want them to or not).

ILuvParis Jan 9, 2008 9:46 pm

The Kings Arms is the friendliest bar I have ever been, anywhere on the planet. RVT is the loudest place I have ever been. If you go, do yourself a favor and bring earplugs. The show is hysterical.

Droneklax Jan 10, 2008 11:22 am

Originally Posted by ILuvParis (Post 9039452)
The Kings Arms is the friendliest bar I have ever been, anywhere on the planet. RVT is the loudest place I have ever been. If you go, do yourself a favor and bring earplugs. The show is hysterical.

It's not that loud, is it? Perhaps it is. If you are on the right chemical, no one cares :-D

ILuvParis Jan 10, 2008 12:14 pm

Originally Posted by Droneklax (Post 9042548)
It's not that loud, is it? Perhaps it is. If you are on the right chemical, no one cares :-D

Maybe that was it. All I was on was beer.

simon stingray Jan 10, 2008 1:30 pm

Originally Posted by ESPECIALROB (Post 8939795)
My favourite bar in London is 79 CXR (79 Charing Cross Road). 40 somethings should be very comfortable there!

Just as long as they are very open minded. We called in here whilst on a weekend visit to London last summer, and then needed to go to the bathroom.:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

Ok if your into that sort of thing;)-we still have a good laugh about it.

Droneklax Jan 10, 2008 2:20 pm

Originally Posted by ILuvParis (Post 9043006)
Maybe that was it. All I was on was beer.

Wrong chemical, I am told.:D

Aluminum tubing Jan 14, 2008 10:03 am

I like Comptons it's has a nice mix of people. And the mags list in the above post are also online.

Stockycub1973 Jan 14, 2008 4:57 pm

City Of Quebec just by Marble Arch
Kings Arms on Poland Street
The Stag in Victoria
Comptoms on Old Comnpton Street
The Duke of Wellington on Wardour Street