Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > GLBT Travelers
Reload this Page >

Gay New York City Nightlife [Merged Threads]

Gay New York City Nightlife [Merged Threads]

Old Sep 8, 06, 8:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Wouldn't you like to know?!
Hottest New York City Gay Club?

Hey guys

I am going to NYC tomorrow and was wondering if you could recommend some gay clubs to go to.

What is the hottest club to go to? It doens't have to be a club, it could be a very cool lounge/bar.

I am thinking about
Roxy and SBNY Splash Bar

How are those?

Actually, I will be staying near Grand Central station....are there any good gay clubs around the area? I don't mind traveling, but is it safe to take the subway after midnight or should I stick with a cab?

Thanks!
Old Sep 8, 06, 8:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: A3&O6 Gold,IC AMB & HH Diamond
No that far from where u are

ESCUELITA
Old Sep 8, 06, 8:31 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by BlissWorld
Hey guys

I am going to NYC tomorrow and was wondering if you could recommend some gay clubs to go to.

What is the hottest club to go to? It doens't have to be a club, it could be a very cool lounge/bar.

I am thinking about
Roxy and SBNY Splash Bar

How are those?
Those will work. Also, Xes on 24th just east of 7th on the north side of the street. It's a lounge-y sort of bar that attracts a younger crowd. Gym on 8th Avenue is popular. It just depends on what kind of scene you're into.

Actually, I will be staying near Grand Central station....are there any good gay clubs around the area?
Not anymore. I don't know if there ever were.

I don't mind traveling, but is it safe to take the subway after midnight or should I stick with a cab?

Thanks!
Subway should be okay, but cab is better. Gay bashing seems to be a bigger problem lately (Kevin Aviance, and others), though that may just be because we are hearing more about it than we used to? Personally, I've never really had a problem on the subway, but I would always prefer taking a cab. They can be hard to come by later on, though.
Old Sep 12, 06, 3:51 pm

Programs: NWA Lowly Silver ; Priceline Whore
Originally Posted by djjaguar64
ESCUELITA
Please be aware, Escuelita sometimes practices a racially discriminating door policy...

If you're not black or latino.. they will sometimes tell you they are full... (despite there being no other people waiting to get in... despite the people after you in line being let in...)
Old Sep 12, 06, 6:58 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K, Marriott LT Titanium
While late to the thread, here are some more suggestions:

Opus 22 on Sundays has a new tea dance/performance by Candis Cayne which has been attracting quite the eye candy... It's on 22nd and 11th Ave. That is early though, usually in the afternoon/sunset time frame.

Also, Happy Valley on Tuesday nights has a really great party there...A very eclectic crowd, but really great music...lots of older house.

Vlada in Hell's Kitchen is a relatively new lounge that has opened in Hell's Kitchen on 51st between 8th & 9th. Fun on Thursdays & the weekends...

I also have heard about a few parties around town, Wednesday nights at Mr. Black's...that's on Broadway downtown like around Bleecker. Haven't been, but supposedly really fun. They have a few parties throughout the week. I've been on a Friday...fun, cute crowd, but it gets very hot there.

There's another party that I've heard about downtown at 49 Grove called Friends with Benefits. It's put on by the same people who did Pop Rocks...but again, it's another that I haven't checked out myself.

Most of the scene it seems has been migrating toward more smaller venues and lounges...or weekly parties at traditionally hetero locales. The only regular big night that I know about now is Roxy Saturdays, and of course, Splash. Victor Calderone does his monthly Evolve parties at Crobar, and sometimes Junior Vasquez is at Pacha. But Twilo/Spirit, Limelight and others have closed over the past couple of years, really changing the nightlife a lot.

Hope that helps...

Edited to add...I completely forgot about Bank on Saturday nights which is at a club called Element. It's on E Houston & Essex. Very fun & cute crowd there...
Old Sep 13, 06, 8:44 am

Programs: AA Platinum
I'd like to comment:

1. I hate Bank/Element, too crowded , music too loud.
2. XES is fun, they do two for one i think from 4-7pm. It's the only place i can think of that does that.
3. I've enjoyed Mr Blacks, i'd recommend it.
4. I'm over Splash, it used to be fun, but now seems empty since it's so big and i haven't seen it full.
5. The View on 8th is sirprisingly fun on a week night (it's around 8/22nd)

After writing this i feel like a NYC scene queen, but alas i live in buenos aires...i miss NYC
Old Sep 13, 06, 9:17 am

The last time I was in Splash, I was really disappointed. It has become so bridge & tunnel...even on the weekdays. It literally looked like a hardware convention was in town.

Too bad 'cause this used to be such a wild, fun place.

Vlada was a lot of fun when I was there back in June. Hot bartenders for sure.
Old Sep 13, 06, 11:06 am

Programs: AS MVP 75K; UA Gold MM; AA Exec Plat; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Plat; Hilton Gold.
Therapy is also fun, on 52nd between 8th and 9th Ave.

What happened to Phoenix on Wednesdays and Beige at B-Bar on Tuesdays? Are those still going on?
Old Sep 13, 06, 11:45 am
Original Member

Originally Posted by trvlr70
The last time I was in Splash, I was really disappointed. It has become so bridge & tunnel...even on the weekdays. It literally looked like a hardware convention was in town.

Too bad 'cause this used to be such a wild, fun place.

Vlada was a lot of fun when I was there back in June. Hot bartenders for sure.
Yeah, I have to agree on both your points. Splash is really tired, and the fact that they continue to charge a $20 cover on a Friday night is beyond me. For $20, I expect a lot more than they have to offer.

And hot bartenders aside at Vlada (which they are!), they have a pretty big list of house infused vodkas. Their Peach & Cherry are pretty good, and the Ginger is interesting...but one word of advice. Coriander vodka does not a good cocktail make! Probably one of the most vile concoctions I've tasted in a while.
Old Sep 13, 06, 7:17 pm

Programs: AA Platinum
add dill vodka to that list.

Vlada and Therapy are great i agree.
Old Sep 14, 06, 9:37 pm

Programs: DL, Marriott, Unlimited Bang-ability
Originally Posted by RChavez
Splash is really tired, and the fact that they continue to charge a $20 cover on a Friday night is beyond me. For $20, I expect a lot more than they have to offer.
It's $10 if you ask nicely.

But that didn't make up for the fact that it was really empty the last time I was there.
Old Sep 14, 06, 10:17 pm

Programs: UA captive, AA dabbler, HH, Carlson
Hiro at the Maritime Hotel on Sunday nights is still going strong. Young, hip crowd grooving to soulful dance music in a nice venue.
Old Sep 14, 06, 11:03 pm

Originally Posted by silverthief2
It's $10 if you ask nicely.
Or free.

People complain about Splash but it's pretty reliable due to being popular with tourists.
Old Sep 15, 06, 7:05 pm
Original Member

Originally Posted by rrgg
Or free.

People complain about Splash but it's pretty reliable due to being popular with tourists.
You know, of all the places in the city, Splash is the one place where I've never been able to talk my way out of a cover. I'm really surprised to hear that others have managed to get reduced or comp admission by just asking.

I'll have to try myself whenever I make it down there again. Though I really don't see myself going there anytime soon.
Old Sep 15, 06, 7:08 pm
Original Member

Originally Posted by SF_trotter
Hiro at the Maritime Hotel on Sunday nights is still going strong. Young, hip crowd grooving to soulful dance music in a nice venue.
I haven't been to Hiro in ages. Glad to hear it's still going strong...Hiro is a really fun party. On a similar note, APT is another of my longtime faves on Sundays, though in the summer it gets really, really hot in there....

Search this Thread
Search Engine: