Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > GLBT Travelers
Reload this Page >

Gay New York City Nightlife [Merged Threads]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Gay New York City Nightlife [Merged Threads]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 11, 2007, 10:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by rrgg
You mean "was."

I guess you're unaware what happened last night.
You're right; I have no idea what happened last night. I assume Roxy closed? Don't worry, there are 1000's of other bars out there with the same crowd playing the same rehashed mid-1990's dance music.
Old Mar 11, 2007, 10:43 pm

Originally Posted by rjque
You're right; I have no idea what happened last night. I assume Roxy closed? Don't worry, there are 1000's of other bars out there with the same crowd playing the same rehashed mid-1990's dance music.
Yes. There's a link to an article in post 52.
Old Mar 11, 2007, 10:59 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, AA Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, IHG Plat, Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by westcoastman
I just wish the Roxy closing was discussed here BEFORE I brought it up and declined to go in two weeks ago. To top it off I suppose when I showed up it was actually less to get in than what they had posted. I go to NYC maybe twice a year and with each posting, link, etc. about the Roxy closing I become more and more angry with myself about NOT doing the research on Flyertalk before my trip.
You aren't missing anything. I found the Roxy to be a totally boring experience. If you want to have some real fun, go to Therapy or Vlada.
Old Mar 12, 2007, 8:40 am

I don't mean to make this into Newsstand, but since Roxy came up...

"Last Hurrah for a Gay Playground"
http://www.nytimes.com/2007/03/12/nyregion/12roxy.html
Old Mar 13, 2007, 8:08 am

Programs: LH SEN, ME Cedar Miles Prestige
What are the reasons for that?

Originally Posted by saint82
Night life is dead in NY compared to almost any other city, especially Europe. .
Old Mar 13, 2007, 8:34 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
The city coming down hard on club owners (the rapes and violence that are happening in the straight clubs), the cost of operating a large space in NYC, particularly on the West Side with the development of new commercial and residential space that displaces clubs (which is what happened to Roxy), and somewhat to a lesser extent that particularly younger gay men in NYC do not seem to be into the big club scence as guys my age that came out in the 1990s. Some of that goes to the cost of living in NYC and that if you are 25 you probably don't have an extra $100 to spend in one night.

As I guy in his 20s about going to the Black Party and you will probably get a disgusting look.
Old Mar 13, 2007, 8:37 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I never went to the Roxy, but I always kind of figured it was the exact same people you see everywhere else (aside from tourists of course). But then I've lived here a while, so it's hard for me to get excited about "new" clubs.

As to gay NYC nightlife, it does seem kind of stale to me when judged side-by-side with, for example, London. London's scene is more ethnically diverse, less standoffish, gets started earlier.
Old Mar 13, 2007, 8:48 am

Well, in general gay nightclubbing in europe moved more and more to day clubbing. The after-hours and after-after hours are standard and for the majority the starter
Examples: "hottest", "trendiest", Euro-muscle Mary-spot is now RAPIDO in Amsterdam, 4 times a year, next time March 18. Starting at 3 pm on a sunday until 2 am.
Similar is true for the Berlin ( Berghain/Panorama, dont go before 9 am), Cologne ( Greenkomm starting at10 am ), Madrid ( Space) and Barcelona ( Souvenir), and London ( Ultra, Later)

Originally Posted by anonplz
I never went to the Roxy, but I always kind of figured it was the exact same people you see everywhere else (aside from tourists of course). But then I've lived here a while, so it's hard for me to get excited about "new" clubs.

As to gay NYC nightlife, it does seem kind of stale to me when judged side-by-side with, for example, London. London's scene is more ethnically diverse, less standoffish, gets started earlier.
Old Mar 13, 2007, 8:55 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Jimmy67
Well, in general gay nightclubbing in europe moved more and more to day clubbing. The after-hours and after-after hours are standard and for the majority the starter
Examples: "hottest", "trendiest", Euro-muscle Mary-spot is now RAPIDO in Amsterdam, 4 times a year, next time March 18. Starting at 3 pm on a sunday until 2 am.
Similar is true for the Berlin ( Berghain/Panorama, dont go before 9 am), Cologne ( Greenkomm starting at10 am ), Madrid ( Space) and Barcelona ( Souvenir), and London ( Ultra, Later)
Wow! They sure know how to party. Glad I don't live there or I'd die of exhaustion.

I also think the energy in NYC is a little too serious - wasn't always like that, but it seems to have become so since about 2002 or 3. Some people say it's crystal meth, but I think it's mroe complicated than that.
Old Mar 13, 2007, 9:04 am

Crystal IS around in Europe but somehow not that popular.
GHB and Ketamine were and still are in fashion .
Lets all hope that Europe will keeop untouched from that NYC trend.

Wow! They sure know how to party. Glad I don't live there or I'd die of exhaustion.

I also think the energy in NYC is a little too serious - wasn't always like that, but it seems to have become so since about 2002 or 3. Some people say it's crystal meth, but I think it's mroe complicated than that.
Old Mar 13, 2007, 11:27 am

Programs: Hyatt Diamond+, Alaska Airlines MVP, Priority Club Platinum
They said the Roxy was so slow that they had to close down for a few weeks during the fall. Maybe they should have lowered their $30 entry fee.
Old Mar 13, 2007, 11:46 am

As to gay NYC nightlife, it does seem kind of stale to me when judged side-by-side with, for example, London.
Originally Posted by Jimmy67
...London ( Ultra, Later)
Although my last time out in London left me a little disappointed, a friend recently described London as "New York in the late 90's" and really the place for fun.

Incidentally that's when Roxy was at its height. So for those complaining that it was just like any other big club, I wonder if you're referring to a recent visit. One thing I'll never forget about Roxy is the amazing coat check clerks, maybe the fastest on the planet. :-)
Old Mar 13, 2007, 1:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by rrgg
Although my last time out in London left me a little disappointed, a friend recently described London as "New York in the late 90's" and really the place for fun.

Incidentally that's when Roxy was at its height. So for those complaining that it was just like any other big club, I wonder if you're referring to a recent visit. One thing I'll never forget about Roxy is the amazing coat check clerks, maybe the fastest on the planet. :-)
My first visit was sometime around 2000. My second visit was 2003. Both times the place seemed like a clone of the old Club Universe in SF.
Old Mar 13, 2007, 1:20 pm

I always enjoyed The Roxy. Just the shear size alone made it possible to have a circuit party-sized crowd every weekend. You could get lost in there.

Now the disgusting and inefficient bathrooms are another story.
Old Mar 13, 2007, 3:07 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
I would have to say there is a different type of vibe now in NYC. I think that some of that is a generation thing, something rather new to the gay world of "young people" distaining the ways of "older people". Who knows in 2025 huge clubs might make a big come back!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.