Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > GLBT Travelers
Reload this Page >

Gay New York City Nightlife [Merged Threads]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Gay New York City Nightlife [Merged Threads]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 25, 2007, 9:25 am

Programs: Hyatt Diamond+, Alaska Airlines MVP, Priority Club Platinum
I guess you mean "The" big city. I have not experienced this in Chicago, SF, LA, or even what is left of Seattle. I admit I need to get over my aversion to taking cabs. I suppose I thought someone would say, oh my God, Roxy is worth $30 but that is approaching circuit party kind of prices.
Incidently the dining on 8th Ave from 16th up to 24th was quite impressive.
Old Feb 25, 2007, 9:59 am

I'm sorry. I didn't mean to be a smartass. A friend once suggested Manhatten get its own currency due to their prices. I figure people are getting in their last trips to Roxy and it will be busy for the next 3 weeks. No one cares about the price. The Black Party is $110 now ($40 if you're 21-26).
Old Feb 25, 2007, 10:06 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum, Air Canada Aeroplan, Delta Sky Miles
Cocktail hour and early evenings in NYC bars

I'm really not up on the latest NYC club scene anymore as I don't go out as late as I used to, but I particularly like Splash for cocktail hour and early evenings. Monday show tunes (Musical Mondays) til 11 pm can be fun, and the Stud Search contest on Thursdays @ 9 pm is interesting. Sort of a "Jerry Springer-like" fascination with me (i.e., where do these guys come from who have the cajones to get up on stage and enter this sort of lewd contest?) I also do the Monster for cocktail hour once in a while.

Last edited by ESPECIALROB; Feb 25, 2007 at 10:27 am Reason: error corrected in copy
Old Feb 25, 2007, 2:33 pm

Chicago Cover Charge

Originally Posted by westcoastman
I guess you mean "The" big city. I have not experienced this in Chicago, SF, LA, or even what is left of Seattle. I admit I need to get over my aversion to taking cabs. I suppose I thought someone would say, oh my God, Roxy is worth $30 but that is approaching circuit party kind of prices.
Incidently the dining on 8th Ave from 16th up to 24th was quite impressive.
Chicago rarely charges a cover at the gay bars, however in the str8 world I have seen from $20-$50 cover for guys and of course free for women.

They do this to control the $$$ walking in, many str8 guys go to the clubs and stand, a place to see and be seen. If you pay $50 to get in odds are you have enough also to drink.
Old Feb 25, 2007, 2:56 pm

Originally Posted by Gay_Traveler
They do this to control the $$$ walking in, many str8 guys go to the clubs and stand, a place to see and be seen. If you pay $50 to get in odds are you have enough also to drink.
I agree that the straight wolrd is crazy as far as clubs go. Just walking around 28th Street I shook my head on the lengths they go to get into a club.
Originally Posted by rrgg
I'm sorry. I didn't mean to be a smartass. A friend once suggested Manhatten get its own currency due to their prices. I figure people are getting in their last trips to Roxy and it will be busy for the next 3 weeks. No one cares about the price. The Black Party is $110 now ($40 if you're 21-26).
No your not being a smart .... I honestly want to know what's up with the Roxy and it must be bigger than a circuit party inside and people are probably sad to see it go. I should have done my research because I probably missed out on going...but $60?! My partner is a bit disappointed that I did not do my research about that club. My past couple trips I have experienced a lot of the this is New York attitude of "At least you don't live here" about the prices. Seems some people in Manhattan that have to live there are a bit bitter about the prices and don't like to hear us tourists complaining about them all the time.
Old Feb 25, 2007, 2:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Back to UA, missing DL; Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by westcoastman
Went to the Roxy about 11 pm and was astonished by a $30 general admission charge - $60 for two. I know this is NY but that is insane. We promptly turned around and left. Just went to the website and they advertised $15 before 1 am. What a scam. But more amazing was how people just piled in without even thinking twice about the cover. What has to world come to? Is it because they allow people under 21?
A lot of people in NYC have a lot of money. And a lot of people want to look like they do. Doesn't mean you have to follow them.
Old Feb 25, 2007, 6:02 pm

Originally Posted by silverthief2
A lot of people in NYC have a lot of money. And a lot of people want to look like they do. Doesn't mean you have to follow them.
Your are correct, and I have many friends that are more than happy to pay a high cover, I have in the past and will in the future. But to your point there is a large amount of disposable income in many cities.

Most bars probably cover the payroll for the night with cover alone. Not a bad move.
Old Feb 25, 2007, 9:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

New York is nothing compared to London.
Old Feb 25, 2007, 11:08 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K, Marriott LT Titanium
Just an FYI about the cover for the Roxy. Sure, they may have a posted $30 cover charge, but almost always they have ads in HX, Next, or on their website that you can print out to pay a reduced cover before 1am.

However, even if you forget to do that, just be nice to Derek (the door guy), and tell him that you forgot your Jon Blair cards. He should have some reduced passes on him that he can give you.
Old Feb 26, 2007, 4:50 am

Originally Posted by RChavez
Just an FYI about the cover for the Roxy. Sure, they may have a posted $30 cover charge, but almost always they have ads in HX, Next, or on their website that you can print out to pay a reduced cover before 1am.

However, even if you forget to do that, just be nice to Derek (the door guy), and tell him that you forgot your Jon Blair cards. He should have some reduced passes on him that he can give you.
Great info! Thanks!!
Old Feb 26, 2007, 7:36 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
The closing of Roxy has been on/off for awhile now. The "rumor" is that the city wants to turn the old elevated railroad track into a tourist center (just what we need more "Disney" types from Idaho in Chelsea staring at us) and therefore wants to shut down the club and take over the space (no sketchy club boys coming out at 7AM to scare away the tourists looking for their morning coffee). When, and if, it is finally closed will be sad day, a lot of good memories there. NYC is really turning up the heat to close down all of the clubs (thanks to the straights who must continue to rape their women and cause violence).

As far as the Black Party, to pay $110 to see a bunch of over the hill leather trolls hanging out what they no longer should be hanging out-way too much money. At some point in your life you should get a clue that the world really has no desire to see your sagging private body parts. Algeria (Sunday night) a much better and cheaper option.

Me, I am kicking myself for not making arrangements to go to the Winter Party. This winter weather is really getting to me.
Old Feb 26, 2007, 9:12 am

Originally Posted by newyorkgeorge
The closing of Roxy has been on/off for awhile now. The "rumor" is that the city wants to turn the old elevated railroad track into a tourist center (just what we need more "Disney" types from Idaho in Chelsea staring at us) and therefore wants to shut down the club and take over the space (no sketchy club boys coming out at 7AM to scare away the tourists looking for their morning coffee). When, and if, it is finally closed will be sad day, a lot of good memories there. NYC is really turning up the heat to close down all of the clubs (thanks to the straights who must continue to rape their women and cause violence).

As far as the Black Party, to pay $110 to see a bunch of over the hill leather trolls hanging out what they no longer should be hanging out-way too much money. At some point in your life you should get a clue that the world really has no desire to see your sagging private body parts. Algeria (Sunday night) a much better and cheaper option.

Me, I am kicking myself for not making arrangements to go to the Winter Party. This winter weather is really getting to me.
I was at The Roxy on the 17th and they indeed made an announcement that they were closing in two weeks. I believe this coming weekend is the last it will be open. I'll miss the place, especially when they had the big swing.

Now what's this about you not coming to Winter Party? Get online S.T.A.T. and take advantage of a last minute deal.

Last edited by trvlr70; Feb 26, 2007 at 12:57 pm
Old Feb 26, 2007, 9:13 am

Originally Posted by newyorkgeorge
As far as the Black Party, to pay $110 to see a bunch of over the hill leather trolls hanging out what they no longer should be hanging out-way too much money.
I wasn't recommending the party, but addressing his price comparison.
Old Feb 26, 2007, 11:07 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Originally Posted by trvlr70
I was at The Roxy on the 17 and they indeed made an announcement that they were closing a two weeks. I believe this coming weekend is the last it will be open. I'll miss the place, especially when they had the big swing.

Now what's this about you not coming to Winter Party? Get online S.T.A.T. and take advantage of a last minute deal.
If only I could get out of work (CEO decided to become an attendance nazi after years of unlimited time off-currently looking for a new job so for awhile limiting travel to the weekends only). On the Roxy, the question is will there be get yet another life. Hope so, because other than the Alegria events (only like seven or eight a year) the club life will be officially dead in New York. Might as well move to Iowa, at least the cost of living is much cheaper.
Old Feb 26, 2007, 11:25 am

Originally Posted by silverthief2
Same as L.A. either you have money or you want to look like you have money. Clubs can charge whatever to enter and $10 cocktails (Abbey) in a ploy to force you to prove you're net worth to those around you. Whether you really can afford it or not.
Now in defense of the Roxy it looks like I could have printed the website ad and got in for $15 AND they say $1 cocktails until Midnight. If that is for real that really would have been worth it. Just pays to do your research...
But I feel lucky to get out of EWR on Sunday night because it started snow hard. CO PC in the A terminal is pretty nice.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.