Atlantis Cruises

Old Apr 3, 07, 11:39 am
Original Poster

Atlantis Cruises

Has anyone taken an Atlantis Cruise? I'm considering one for the fall and wanted to know what it really is like.

I'm a little concerned that the marketing materials show only super buff guys and I don't exaclty fit in that category and don't want to fee self concious the entire trip. Can someone comment on the passenger population? Is it really made up of all different types of people like their web site FAQ's claim?

Thanks
Old Apr 3, 07, 11:58 am

Programs: Hyatt Diamond+, Alaska Airlines MVP, Priority Club Platinum
This is from the Atlantis website:
Do I have to have a great body to fit in on Atlantis?
Very funny. Seriously, while we have some great bodies in our brochure and website (remember it IS marketing after all), Atlantis is really all about being yourself and feeling great about who you are. Whatever shape you’re in, you’re going to feel right at home on Atlantis. We promise.
Here is an article about "Is an all-gay cruise for you?":
http://www.cruisemates.com/articles/gayles/Atlantis.cfm

They say: "We met many nice people on the Atlantis cruises that we took. Not everyone on these ships is the buff circuit-boy type like you see in some of the brochures. There are lots of ordinary, everyday people -- from different age groups, with different builds, and from different countries."
Old Apr 3, 07, 7:27 pm

You will have fun no matter what you look like. I've done three Atlantis cruises and already booked for the fourth. There are people of all sorts and types on the ship. Remember, it's a crowd of some 2000 men!

I'd say about a quarter (especially those under 30) look really good though not necessarily all buff, another quarter are 35-45 year olds who spend 5 hours a day in a gym to be buff just so the first quarter would hang with them, and the remaining half is the rest of us: bears, cubs, twinks, geeks, dorks, spazzes, ordinary people. It's all good.

Atlantis' staff gets very involved in all activities and makes everyone feel really comfortable.
Old Apr 4, 07, 7:05 am

Originally Posted by Maayan View Post
You will have fun no matter what you look like. I've done three Atlantis cruises and already booked for the fourth. There are people of all sorts and types on the ship. Remember, it's a crowd of some 2000 men!

I'd say about a quarter (especially those under 30) look really good though not necessarily all buff, another quarter are 35-45 year olds who spend 5 hours a day in a gym to be buff just so the first quarter would hang with them, and the remaining half is the rest of us: bears, cubs, twinks, geeks, dorks, spazzes, ordinary people. It's all good.

Atlantis' staff gets very involved in all activities and makes everyone feel really comfortable.
We have not been on an Atlantis Cruise, however we are planning one, I was concerned as well that it was just a floating circuit party and we would be miserable for the entire trip. After talking with friends and reading, I see that the cruise line make a concerted effort to see that EVERYONE not just the twinks or buffed up 40 somethings get the attention. (we are a 30 something, average business type couple, not boring, but not circuit queens)

I say book the trip and invite friend to join you and have a great time!!!
Old Apr 4, 07, 10:21 am

You will not feel out of place.

There are hot guys and average guys, but either way people are friendly on Atlantis cruises. Maybe because everyone is on vacation (unlike visiting a city). The January cruise is supposedly the biggest party crowd, and even then, the ship is so large you can choose to do other stuff without being absorbed into the party.
Old Apr 4, 07, 1:31 pm

I'm dying to do one. I've been putting it off but may have to really look into it.

Don't they all sell out pretty quickly?
Old Apr 4, 07, 1:51 pm

Originally Posted by trvlr70 View Post
I'm dying to do one. I've been putting it off but may have to really look into it.

Don't they all sell out pretty quickly?
If you look on http://www.atlantisevents.com there are still rooms for all the 2007 cruises. However, you might not get the room you want. You should book early to get your choice of category (price) and room location.

However I think the January cruise sells very fast, with a lot of rooms sold in the first 2 weeks. They'll start taking reservations sometime this month (alumni were allowed to book in Feb. 2007).
Old Apr 5, 07, 10:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CO Platinum 1K, United 1K, SPG LT Platinum, National Executive Elite, Platinum TSA Hater
The environment you're looking for should be the driving force behind the choice. If you're looking to party and be in a 24hr party atmosphere, then go for it.

If you're looking for a cruise vacation, I would steer well clear of Atlantis and focus on finding a cruise that matches your interests and budget - almost all cruises have gay couples and singles on-board. I know of a few 30something couples that had a very nice time pampering themselves on the QM2 - choose the environment you want to be in, don't choose Atlantis just because it's a 'gay cruise.'
Old Apr 5, 07, 11:08 am

Programs: UA Platinum
My partner and I have been on RSVP and Atlantis cruises and enjoyed both very much. There's a lot of partying on an Atlantis cruise but the ships are big enough there are many other activities to indulge in. In fact, we're so not into the circuit parties yet we have a ball on an Atlantis cruise.

As with any travel advertisement, gay and straight, they tend to feature beautiful looks and well-toned bodies. It's mearly an attention grabber and not necessarily what you will only see. There are all sorts of body types on these cruises and everyone, I mean EVERYONE, are nice and fun to be around. You'll have a great time.

We prefer gay-only cruises for the complete comfort factor. We don't ever want to feel the need to restrain ourselves from being openly affectionate with each other (we've been together 7 years). THAT'S JUST US.

Go ahead, book a cruise and enjoy yourself!!
Old Apr 6, 07, 12:15 am

Programs: DL/AF, One Man Street Fair in my spare time
I wouldn't call Atlantis a 24 hour party atmosphere. You can make it that if you want, but you could make the whole week quiet and low key if you want also. (I've done four Atlantis and several RSVP before that.) I choose Atlantis because it IS a gay cruise, and the staff (Atlantis and ship's) knock themselves out to ensure we have a good time. The Atlantis dance parties are off the chart excellent. I sincerely believe 2000 gay men on a ship are a powerful form of community for us. It's not for everyone, but it is definitely for me. Different strokes for different folks.

tiger1tony - I can assure you not everyone on the cruise looks like the marketing. Are there a lot of incredibly good looking buffed out gymbots? Yes. But there is a very wide range of ages and types overall. The Caribbean/Baja cruises may run a little younger and heavier on the party atmosphere. All the ones I've done are half singles/half couples. If you think you would enjoy it, go for it!
Old Apr 7, 07, 11:17 am
Original Member

Programs: AA GLD 1MM, DL FO, UA PLT
The current boyfriend and I have been on 4 RSVP cruises and have made it into a habit on even numbered years. Here is a journal we kept from the first one.

http://www.igougo.com/travelcontent/...JournalID=6224

We have not done an Atlantis Event, but our last Caribbean RSVP cruise (Feb 2006) ended the same day as an Atlantis cruise, and we swapped stories with guys from the other cruise at FLL. The RSVP cruises had a slightly older demographic, and this was exacerbated by the timing of the Atlantis cruise--more of the younger wilder crowd had chosen Atlantis. We had a good time on our boat, but because it was a Holland America boat, the deck parties only went until 12. On previous RSVP cruises (other ships) the deck would shut down around 2 AM.

With 2000 guys on a boat, you will find all types.
Old Apr 7, 07, 1:17 pm

Originally Posted by chipper View Post
... the [RSVP] deck parties only went until 12...
That's hilarious! Midnight is about when the Atlantis deck parties begin (the show ends, everyone go to their rooms for a change of clothes, and up to the deck).

Note to self: upon turning 60, switch to RSVP.
Old Apr 7, 07, 6:07 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond+, Alaska Airlines MVP, Priority Club Platinum
Originally Posted by chipper View Post
...but because it was a Holland America boat, the deck parties only went until 12. On previous RSVP cruises (other ships) the deck would shut down around 2 AM.
So it was because it was Holland America and not RSVP. This would be a big issue. I am sure people were pretty upset if things abruptly ended at midnight. Did they warn people? I will certainly look into this before booking a cruise in the future. Thanks for the heads up!
Old Apr 9, 07, 7:54 am

Programs: UA -1MM, SPG - Lifetime Gold
My partner and I just went on our third Atlantis cruise in Jan, and are doing our fourth in July (Baltic!).

Atlantis cruises are whatever you want them to be - if you want 7 days of circuit parties, it's there. If you want 7 days of relaxation - spas, pool, great food, entertainment, it's there.

I think this sums it up - on our first cruise in 2003, we boarded the ship, unsure of what we had just gotten ourselves into. We made our way to the pool deck and a cruise line staff member started chatting with us (she was probably in her mid-20s). She had been working for Norwegian for a short time. She said, "No, you guys don't understand - we (the crew) have been waiting for you guys ALL YEAR!!!"

For 50-51 weeks a year, the crew on the ship is treated to kids, families, and old folks. For 1-2 weeks a year, they party along with us.

Now that we've been on a few Atlantis cruises, I describe it to friends as summer camp. There's the excitement at the beginning, the fun and new experiences during, and the genuine sadness at the end (although hopefully made easier by 'See you next cruise/year!')
Old Apr 9, 07, 11:17 pm

Programs: DL/AF, One Man Street Fair in my spare time
Originally Posted by mtbaker View Post
My partner and I just went on our third Atlantis cruise in Jan, and are doing our fourth in July (Baltic!).
Cool - I'm on Baltic too.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: