Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > GLBT Travelers
Reload this Page >

Great Ocean Road Victoria Australia

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 15, 2007, 4:58 pm
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob

Planning to do this drive....any suggestions on where to stay, things to see and gay things to do?

Not really sure which places should be the overnights so am open to suggestions.
Old Jan 16, 2007, 1:38 am

Programs: United GS, SPG Plat
I'm afraid I can't actually respond to what you asked, since I was staying with friends when I went there last year and we didn't really do any gay stuff in the area... but I did want to suggest that you do a helicopter ride over the Twelve Apostles. It is a little pricey but worth every cent! (and ya never know, you might get a cute pilot )
Old Jan 16, 2007, 6:45 am

It sounds like you had a great trip!
What are the Twelve Apostles?
Old Jan 16, 2007, 11:52 am

Programs: DL, WN, AA, IHG Diamond, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by Gay_Traveler
What are the Twelve Apostles?

A series of huge rock formations just offshore that were carved away from the cliffs by wave action. Also one of the major attractions along the Great Ocean Road.

When I drove that trip I spent the night in Apollo Bay, which IIRC is about halfway along the Road. Small, touristy, and nothing gay is what I remember but that was over 10 years ago so something could have changed. Still, I would assume the closest gay life would be in Melbourne.
Old Jan 16, 2007, 1:12 pm
Suspended

When I drove the Great Ocean Road I also stopped in Apollo Bay, but just for a couple of hours.

Nothing much to do out there, so it was just a long-day trip. Beautiful road.

I had never heard of the Twelve Apostles, if I had, I would have taken the trip. Oh well, now I have an excuse to go back to Australia
Old Jan 16, 2007, 2:55 pm

Programs: AA EXP
I did the drive back in October. Did it in 2 days, spent the night in Apollo Bay. Nothing much to do there, just hung o ut at a straight bar. Not sure about gay thing to do along the road. But yeah it's worth doing. I took a suggestion from my guide book to go off trail a little bit to the forest. Saw bunch of koalas and 2 kangaroos hopping in front of me. IT was amazing!
Old Jan 17, 2007, 12:57 am

Programs: Frantic Hilton/Marriott runs
Originally Posted by MapleLeaf
I had never heard of the Twelve Apostles, if I had, I would have taken the trip. Oh well, now I have an excuse to go back to Australia
That's because there is now only Eleven Apostles. There was a recent collapse in one of the rock formations witnessed by many horrified spectators back in 2005. Not fun.

Plenty to do while on the road. There are some dubious websites on the net that will highlight pitstops along the way where you can get close and personal to the native Aussie wildlife. There is also the nude beaches at Point Impossible, Sunnyside North Beach with the usual gay friendly section.
Old Jan 17, 2007, 6:46 am

Originally Posted by DavidDTW
A series of huge rock formations just offshore that were carved away from the cliffs by wave action. Also one of the major attractions along the Great Ocean Road.

When I drove that trip I spent the night in Apollo Bay, which IIRC is about halfway along the Road. Small, touristy, and nothing gay is what I remember but that was over 10 years ago so something could have changed. Still, I would assume the closest gay life would be in Melbourne.
Thanks for the info, it sounds like a true sight to be seen. I am adding that to my list.
Old Jan 23, 2007, 12:48 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Went to St Kilda Beach this weekend, what a huge disapointment. Down right nasty! So sorry when compared to Biondi. At least I got AA FF miles for the flight from SYD on QF. Next time I think that I will either stay in entirely in Sydney or possibly check out the Gold Coast.
Old Jan 24, 2007, 11:48 pm

I drove from Adelaide to MEL a couple of years ago, taking in the Great Ocean Road. Highlights: the historic but incredibly sleepy ex-whaling town of Port Fairy (had to go just for the name), and a perfect road trip moment when the radio segued from Kate Bush to Meatlaof with giant limestone formations glowing in the low-in-the-sky sunlight. You definately have to be in a long distance driving frame of mind.
Old Jan 26, 2007, 12:02 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

We did the Great Ocean Road in a day last year. The Park Hyatt connected us with a gentleman called Garth who drove us in a very comfy van-type vehicle. We stopped tons of places, and he took us off road to places that tour buses never go, and the inexperienced wouldn't know to go. His overall knowledge of the area, the history, and his country, were astouding. Plus, none of us had the stress of driving on the "wrong" side, and were able to spend time looking instead of driving. It was a 14 hour day that cost us a total of AU$700, plus lunch - about $200US apiece for an unforgettable experience. He told us he also has longer trips - overnights, trips to other areas, etc. Best of all - it was my partner and me, and a friend of ours...and there were no questions about who was what to whom....we were just plain welcome guests; and were treated like VIPs. If anyone is interested in this option when there, feel free to PM me for the details. The PH Sydney gave us an equally good guide for NSW. Neither guide is exclusively tied to the hotels, so they are available to anyone.
Old Jan 26, 2007, 12:13 pm

Programs: AA PLT 2.7 MM, DL GLD, UA Prem, BW Diamond, PC PLT, HH Diamond
Closest thing to you worth making a diversion to is the Laird in Melbourne or the notorious club 80.

After you leave that nothing unless you are really travel minded and continue on to Perth.
Old Jan 31, 2007, 7:50 pm

Programs: Emirates, Singapore Airlines, Hilton Honours
If your looking for 'gays things' to do along the GOR you will be sorely dissappointed. It is a sea side road through country area's...its hardly the centre of straight nightlife (outside pubs and restaurants) never mind a gay one. As someone mentioned its you, your partner and the moon until you hit Melbourne.
As for things to do along the GOR, check out the government website;
www.visitvictoria.com

What was nasty about St Kilda beach..not the most glamourous but then I find Sydney tacky and the strip of Oxford st far over -rated.

Note: funny was at the Laird hotel on Tuesday night.

Last edited by 6andy6; Jan 31, 2007 at 7:53 pm Reason: spelling
Old Feb 3, 2007, 1:26 am

We liked Apollo Bay best, and stayed overnight. In contrast we didn't much like Lorne. Gay things? Hump a koala bear?

As for St. Kilda, I like it fine, for a city beach. Good energy. I'll take MEL over SYD anytime.

Seriously, do not speed. You WILL get caught.
Old Feb 3, 2007, 10:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
Originally Posted by Alawyer
That's because there is now only Eleven Apostles. There was a recent collapse in one of the rock formations witnessed by many horrified spectators back in 2005. Not fun.

Eleven Apostles and there was once something called a "London Bridge" as well. That rock formation was a 'bridge' span across the 'mainland' to one of the apostles. But that London Bridge fell down sometime in the 90s too. No one was killed luckily but a few toursists had to be lifted to safety by the army helicopters. (Ok - gay element here - think hunky australian helicopter pilots).

I drove the Great Ocean Road way back in 1989 I think... and the only gay element there was my best friend necking with the 19year old guy he picked up the week before in the back seat while I was the Chinese chauffeur !

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.