Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > GLBT Travelers
Reload this Page >

Seattle Gay Nightlife Review

Seattle Gay Nightlife Review

Old Nov 7, 2006, 1:15 pm

Programs: Alaska Airlines
Originally Posted by westcoastman
While I don't disagree - where do you go? Another city? Other activities? Stay at home?
I've turned into some what of a home body. Although I do get out of Seattle about every 3-4 months. Out of my friends I am the last one here so I usually fly down to LA, Vegas or Chicago for some good wholesome fun And if I feel the need to be social I'll just head down to Vivace on Broadway. Mmmm which I should do right now since I haven't had any coffee today.
Old Nov 7, 2006, 3:07 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt Diamond+, Alaska Airlines MVP, Priority Club Platinum
Originally Posted by fly4funsea
Out of my friends I am the last one here so I usually fly down to LA, Vegas or Chicago for some good wholesome fun
I have noticed a lot of people I know have disappeared only to assume they have left Seattle. One thing is starting over in SF. Maybe they have had a relationship go bad. Some return after a few years. What is the reason you see for people leaving Seattle?
Old Nov 7, 2006, 9:55 pm

Programs: Alaska Airlines
I have noticed a lot of people I know have disappeared only to assume they have left Seattle. One thing is starting over in SF. Maybe they have had a relationship go bad. Some return after a few years. What is the reason you see for people leaving Seattle?
Some left because of family moves and some have left because they are super artistic in the makeup dept and went to Vegas where they make more money and have better opportunities in their chosen profession. Myself I am still only here because right now the bf can't get a transfer with his job to Chicago where I would like to move to. I'd like to move because Seattle is so small and the city government can't seem to pull their heads out of their bums long enough to look around. I am very much a city boy and like to have options in food, arts, concerts and architechture (sp). Seattle is very much lacking in all those depts. imo. I will say though that when I move I will miss flying on Alaska air and getting my cheap upgrades LOL.
Old Nov 11, 2006, 4:47 pm

Thank you, Thank you, Thank you

I would like to profoundly thank the person who wrote the guide to the nightlife in Seattle. As a person who travels often, trying to get good accurate information is not always easy. The guidebooks are helpful but very limited. The gay maps usually only push advertisers so essentially they are not a guide to gay life but a guide to their advertisers .

We all know that being in the wrong bar on the wrong night or even the wrong time and flow can be the difference between a hit and a disaster. And trying to fly around finding the place you ought to be can be very frustrating, only to find out that you really should have been somewhere else.

I would like to encourage others if they are familiar with a particular city to take the same approach and post it here. They would be doing others on this thread a world of service.
Old Nov 11, 2006, 11:55 pm

Originally Posted by saint82
I would like to profoundly thank the person who wrote the guide to the nightlife in Seattle. As a person who travels often, trying to get good accurate information is not always easy. The guidebooks are helpful but very limited. The gay maps usually only push advertisers so essentially they are not a guide to gay life but a guide to their advertisers .

We all know that being in the wrong bar on the wrong night or even the wrong time and flow can be the difference between a hit and a disaster. And trying to fly around finding the place you ought to be can be very frustrating, only to find out that you really should have been somewhere else.

I would like to encourage others if they are familiar with a particular city to take the same approach and post it here. They would be doing others on this thread a world of service.
Saint,
This is our mission on gaydarguide.com. We have been visiting cities to write about the gay nightlife and general shopping areas.

Our site is growing ans we look forward to having more.
Old Nov 12, 2006, 10:11 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by saint82
As a person who travels often, trying to get good accurate information is not always easy. The guidebooks are helpful but very limited. The gay maps usually only push advertisers so essentially they are not a guide to gay life but a guide to their advertisers
Looking at a recent "FunMap" this issue of only plugging advertisers seems to be getting worse. I hope they don't go that direction cause it only hurts their product. While Damron tries to improve its product it still seems like more of a "list" of businesses. And most importantly in many cities the popular clubs change with the wind...
Old Nov 12, 2006, 7:37 pm

Gay Maps are getting useless

Looking at a recent "FunMap" this issue of only plugging advertisers seems to be getting worse. I hope they don't go that direction cause it only hurts their product. While Damron tries to improve its product it still seems like more of a "list" of businesses. And most importantly in many cities the popular clubs change with the wind...
Recently, I was in Denver for the first time in about three years. I tried to use the gay maps but they were extremely frustrating and almost useless. I had to put three guides together to make anything that was helpful. A bar that I had fun at when I was there last, "Wranglers" wasn't even listed. I had to call to see if they were still open. I'm glad I did. I had a great time.

One of the things that I appreciate when I go to Madrid or Sitges, is that they have an annual gay map with ALL of the businesses listed. It makes things much much easier. I would also think that it makes good economic sense since it encourages tourism.

I am very tired of "gay maps" that list nothing more than their advertisers. I know that they have to make money, and they do so with advertising, but the product that they produce by that method are better to use to line birdcages. Can't they list them all, and then do something extra for their advertisers?

Instead of the maps, I use things like pinkagenda.com and other web resources. I'm not particularly interested in who paid you off so they can be listed. That is why the person who listed the guide to gay nightlife in Seattle has done such a service. I may make a special trip to Seattle!
Old Nov 13, 2006, 11:13 pm

Programs: UA 1P
Thanks to the OP for the comprehensive list you've put together! ^^

I think it's a bad sign that I'm 26 and have lived here for 4 years and have never even once heard of Sugar. Guess I'll have to check it out one night!
Old Nov 14, 2006, 6:32 am

Sounds like a field trip is in order!
Old Nov 14, 2006, 8:16 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by TakeMeToEZE
I think it's a bad sign that I'm 26 and have lived here for 4 years and have never even once heard of Sugar. Guess I'll have to check it out one night!
You may want to go on one of their bigger nights. Sat 11/18 (Abigail) $7 or Sat 12/9 (Rewind) $10. But it may be as good to pop in on just a regular DJ night ($5) particularly if they actually do let you in free before 11 pm. This actually draws a bit of a crowd a little earlier in the night.
Old Dec 5, 2006, 4:43 pm

Ok so this wasn't really discussed but then again it's probably not a problem for the vast majority of FlyerTalkers.

I'm under 21. What do I do/where do I go?

I'm moving to Seattle mid-January for an internship and, being from New Orleans, am not really used to the whole having to have a decent fake ID thing. I've been told Seattle isn't a great city for 20 year olds to be able to get into clubs using their real ID. Is this true?

Old Dec 5, 2006, 9:24 pm
Original Poster

Gay Seattle for the under-21 crowd.

Well Friday is the best night for "The Underground" which is below Neighbors Nightclub but it typically seems to struggle to draw a crowd. While Fridays have been the best it is also an early night so get there early. Neighbors Nightclub is open to the under 21 crowd after 2 am till 4 am so usually a line will form.
The Seattle Party Boys has hot private events but it is typically by invitation only or you have to know someone or you have to be very pretty.
Penalties for allowing minors into bars is huge (even if they have a fake ID) so everyone gets carded at most bars except during off-peak hours. And for those from California temporary paper ID's are not accepted without having both the cancelled picture ID and the new paper registration since expired ID's are not accepted just like the TSA.
As an added note - Seattle now has a smoking ban which is the greatest thing to ever happen to the scene since you can go home without smelling like an ashtray plus a lot of boys spend a lot of time hanging outside of the club to smoke which is nice for those under 21.
Best advice is to wait a few months until you are 21.

Last edited by westcoastman; Feb 22, 2007 at 12:28 am
Old Dec 5, 2006, 9:35 pm

Best advice is to wait a few months until you are 21.
Sadly that's all but a month and a half of my time in Seattle :-(

Not really sure what to do for fun (or how to meet people) if that's out of the picture as I'll be living alone and not attending classes.

Plus, on a side note, I really enjoy my wine!
Old Dec 7, 2006, 9:51 am

Disappointing

Just spend a few mid-week days in Seattle and I have to admit the "scene" is most disappointing. Perhaps that's not the case if you're young and beautiful but for the rest of us, there is much left to be desired. The Madison Pub was OK, Cuff's was dead and C.C. Attles was hardly worth the climb up the hill. I remember how nice it used to be along with Thumpers across the street. With Thumpers closed, where was I to go for dinner?

Well, I tried Martins off Madison. Food was decent but not spectacular and at least it was quiet there. Another night I tried the Broadway American Grill based on some comments on this board. What a mistake that was. Although the place was less than half full, I stood 5 minutes at the podium waiting to be seated, in plain view of several employees. Took another 20-25 minutes to get a cup of lukewarm soup (cooked to order?). When my sesame grilled chicken salad arrived, I needed a magnifying glass to find the chicken! Tiny cubes of cold chicken, perhaps from a can, were hidden in a plate of lettuce and sprouts. But worse than the food was the service. The waitstaff were very friendly, with each other, while food sat on the counter waiting to be picked up and brought to tables. If you are looking for a good meal, avoid this place at all cost. In fact, if you're looking for a nicer time, try Portland instead.
Old Dec 7, 2006, 4:01 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by rgronenb
Another night I tried the Broadway American Grill based on some comments on this board. What a mistake that was. Although the place was less than half full, I stood 5 minutes at the podium waiting to be seated, in plain view of several employees. Took another 20-25 minutes to get a cup of lukewarm soup (cooked to order?). When my sesame grilled chicken salad arrived, I needed a magnifying glass to find the chicken! Tiny cubes of cold chicken, perhaps from a can, were hidden in a plate of lettuce and sprouts. But worse than the food was the service. The waitstaff were very friendly, with each other, while food sat on the counter waiting to be picked up and brought to tables. If you are looking for a good meal, avoid this place at all cost. In fact, if you're looking for a nicer time, try Portland instead.
I have had some issues with service as well. I have actually had such a bad experience there one time I yelled at the hostess and walked out of the place. Chefs are pretty quick but the servers are in no hurry to get the food to you so you have to be aggressive with whoever walks by. Some of the dishes are decent but chicken salad does not sound like something I would order there. They have a decent hamburger and sometimes have early bird specials on weekdays which include strip steak, salad and dessert for around $13.
I would save Broadway Grill for a warm summer afternoon as a location for prime people watching with expectations of a casual meal. Service can suck and don't let them sit you in the back unless you prefer dark windowless dining.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.