Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Gay Marriage anyone?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 25, 2006, 4:59 pm
Original Poster

Gay Marriage anyone?

HRC STATEMENT ON NEW JERSEY SUPREME COURT DECISION RECOGNIZING SAME-SEX COUPLES’ CONSTITUTIONAL RIGHT TO EQUAL BENEFITS AND PROTECTIONS

WASHINGTON — Human Rights Campaign President Joe Solmonese made the following statement regarding today’s ruling in Lewis v. Harris — a court case in which the New Jersey Supreme Court ruled that same-sex couples have a constitutional right to receive the same state benefits, protections and obligations as opposite-sex married couples. The court ruled that the Legislature must either amend its marriage law to include same-sex couples or provide these benefits, protections and obligations by some other means such as civil unions.

Said Solmonese:

“Today, the New Jersey Supreme Court ruled that same-sex couples should have the same rights and obligations as heterosexual couples. This is, at its core, a pro-family, pro-equality decision. It is now in the hands of the Legislature to do the right thing, and recognize that all New Jersey families should have the protections that only marriage provides.

“We congratulate and commend the work of Lambda Legal and the plaintiff couples who had the courage and resolve to bring this case forward.

“This decision recognizes that New Jersey's constitution protects all families. The Legislature should not go down the path of separate but equal, but rather should embrace marriage equality. We commend Garden State Equality and will work with them and other allies to make this a reality.

“The New Jersey decision only involves the protection and benefits of civil marriage — not religious ceremonies. This case does not affect religious institutions’ freedom to decide if they want to honor and recognize same-sex unions.

“Although this case is a major step forward in ending discrimination, a federal law, the so-called Defense of Marriage Act, denies same-sex couples over 1,000 protections, and puts these couples at risk that they will not be recognized as families when they cross state lines.

“Our great country has a tradition of expanding legal protections, as was done for voting rights and other civil rights protections. Combating discrimination of all kinds is a fundamental American value. The Human Rights Campaign applauds this decision.”

Lambda Legal filed this case in 2002 on behalf of seven same-sex couples who were denied marriage licenses. In November 2003, the trial court ruled against the plaintiffs, and on June 14, 2005, the intermediate appellate court upheld the decision. On Feb. 15, 2006, the New Jersey Supreme Court heard oral arguments in the case. Today, all seven justices concluded that same-sex couples were entitled to the equal benefits and protections of marriage. Three of those seven went further and concluded that the New Jersey Constitution requires full marriage equality.

The Human Rights Campaign is America’s largest civil rights organization working to achieve gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgender equality. By inspiring and engaging all Americans, HRC strives to end discrimination against GLBT citizens and realize a nation that achieves fundamental fairness and equality for all.
Old Oct 26, 2006, 6:16 am

Programs: CO, UA, who cares what level, that doesn't make me special, now does it?
Some day we'll learn that perhaps equal employment laws, which most Americans DO support, is a better agenda to be pushing than gay marriage laws. All we do by pushing this agenda is help keep republicans in office. 10 years from now, great. but this was a terrible agenda 10 years ago, and it still is today!
Old Oct 26, 2006, 6:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
Well at least you can still travel north of the border to CANADA, for now, and do the deed there.. LEGALLY... at least under Canadian law.
Old Oct 26, 2006, 7:01 am
Original Poster

I am waiting on the Replublicans to instanlty and temporarily to be come gay friendly just to keep the vote, then of course they will back track on any gay friendly support.

Gotta love Canada!
Old Oct 26, 2006, 7:41 am

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Gay_Traveler
Gotta love Canada!
We're just hoping that our (silly and minority) conservative government doesn't get to open up the issue again...
Old Oct 26, 2006, 2:53 pm

I don't think this is such a silly issue. Seems like an issue of basic fairness. It also seems that the message is slowing getting through to people who used to be very opposed to it. People do eventually respond to a logical arguement, it just takes a while. I always thought this was a better issue to pursue than gay folk being allowed to serve in the military. They both seem like no brainers when you think about them, but this one much more so since that "unit cohesion" thing can't be trotted out that just torpedoed everything.
Old Oct 26, 2006, 6:38 pm

Programs: DL DM/MM, and major hotels
The good news is that young people support it, sooner or later the emotional reaction of some heavy red-faced, your-tie-is-too tight, and your hair is too coiffed individual will fade as these people wither away. My only hope is that it happens before I wither away.

As for this being a travel forum...on the Canadian theme, the customs officer up there sent my better-half (of 10+years) off to secondary and they told me to wait outside when I wandered in. Apparently the officer wasn't satisfied with his explanation that he was coming to Canada for MY mom's birthday....I believe he asked "Do you always go to your friend's mom's birthday parties?" If we were straight/married, would this raise suspicion?
Old Oct 27, 2006, 9:06 am

Programs: AAdvantage general member, SWA RRewards
Cool

As a gay man I dont care if the USA bans gay marriage or not. I dont don't have to take a walk down some aisle to prove I love someone.
Old Oct 27, 2006, 11:48 am

Programs: AA Platinum, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by youngORDboi
As a gay man I dont care if the USA bans gay marriage or not. I dont don't have to take a walk down some aisle to prove I love someone.
Wow. Just, wow. How old are you?
Old Oct 27, 2006, 12:10 pm

My Take

There was a funny line on Will & Grace about gay marriage: "Gay marriage ceremonies don't count. They're just a drag queen singing 'Evergreen' on a mountaintop."

All the jokes notwithstanding, I do think it's high time to legalize gay marriage in America. It's about letting people love whom they want. What's more democratic than that? The days of shame and fear should be put to an end.

PS It would be nice if some professional male athletes came out of the closet and stopped perpetuating a false image of masculinity. Then they'd really be macho men!
Old Oct 27, 2006, 12:21 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
As polls have shown the vast majority of younger people, 35 and under, fully support gay marriage. This also applies to the level of education with the highest support among people with a Masters Degree or PHD. So it is only a matter of time although I don't expect gay marriage to happen in the near future on any wide spread basis.

Traveling as a gay man is great (assuming that you work hard to keep up your looks and you have the polite and polished attitude to compliment the looks). FAs, GAs, hotel front desk, concierges, become your "best friends" (most of whom are gay or spend a lot of time around gay men). Upgrades, free drinks and meals, better rooms, upgrades in autos have all come my way that would not be given to a 300 pound troll dressed in a stained Wal Mart sweat shirt.

Can't tell you the number of times a FA has given me a free drink or something from F (when I was stuck in Coach) with the troll next to me glaring as to why he did not get the same treatment.
Old Oct 27, 2006, 12:37 pm

I better join the David Barton Gym!

Thanks for the motivation!

Hoping everyone finds the love of his life!
Old Oct 27, 2006, 12:41 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
yes aeneastwin join David Barton. Their classes will get you in shape in no time at all. They are killers.
Old Oct 27, 2006, 4:05 pm

Programs: Not much these days: BA Silver, Bonvoy Lifetime Gold, HH Gold
Originally Posted by youngORDboi
I don't need to take a walk to prove I love someone. I'll take the tax breaks, though...
Old Oct 27, 2006, 4:32 pm

Programs: MM
Originally Posted by Gay_Traveler
I am waiting on the Replublicans to instanlty and temporarily to be come gay friendly just to keep the vote, then of course they will back track on any gay friendly support.

Gotta love Canada!
Well, you can forget that. Just heard a bit on NPR that Bush has brought up the "sanctity of marriage" issue today. His comments were absolutely ridiculous. But, then, what was I expecting?

And, yes I do love Canada. They make us Americans look pretty foolish, eh?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.