Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > GLBT Travelers
Reload this Page >

NYTimes 7/14: Up and Coming GLBT summer destinations in the US

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 16, 2006, 11:12 am
Original Poster

Link is here. Not sure if it will work, but it is from the Friday's NY Times. Briefly, they review the up and coming destinations for GLBTers in the US. Included:

Douglas/Saugatuck, MI
Eureka Springs, AR
Pahoa, HI has anyone ever been here??
Asheville, NC
Sullivan County, NY
Ogunquit, ME (I am going here next month; this place is increasing in popularity as Provincetown continues to climb in prices).

Any other locales you would add? Any reviews of these areas?
Old Jul 16, 2006, 12:15 pm

Programs: AA EXP ; Cunard Plat
Originally Posted by PHLbuddy
Asheville, NC...
I've lived here for more than 20 years. Summers (and Oct fall color) here in the mountains get very touristy and packed, and the crowd is mixed. Prices have climbed steadily here too, as wealthy retirees have moved in and built their McMansions with their indecent capital gains from elsewhere!

NYTimes in article last year called AVL the "San Francisco of the South". Not sure I'd go that far Both places are where gays feel accepted, by and large, and it's more a mature crowd who have settled down after their wild years. Not a place to go clubbing, though (only one decent downtown club). Just the usual good weather, upscale restaurants, quaint antique stores, and varied opportunities for outdoor recreation.
Old Jul 16, 2006, 5:21 pm

Programs: UAL MM, BA G
Originally Posted by NY Times 7/14 Article, 2nd page
A dancer entertains bar patrons at the Dunes Resort in Douglas, Mich.
Why do they keep putting my picture in the paper?
Old Jul 17, 2006, 9:05 am

I've been to Ogunquit with my parents, and also lived in Maine for a few years. I can't imagine picking it over Provincetown, although it is a nice quiet place to visit. By the way, the ocean usually feels about 33 degrees F! :-)
Old Jul 17, 2006, 11:54 am

Programs: AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium,
Originally Posted by rrgg
I've been to Ogunquit with my parents, and also lived in Maine for a few years. I can't imagine picking it over Provincetown, although it is a nice quiet place to visit. By the way, the ocean usually feels about 33 degrees F! :-)
Of the several gay-friendly beach towns in the mid-Atlantic/New England region (Ptown, Ogunquit, Rehoboth, etc.), Oguinquit is by far my favorite. Not too "busy", quaint New England sea-town feel, and close proximity to tons of attractions ... I've been several times and my bf and I will be staying for two nights come October as part of a week-long New England vacation. Highly recommended!

- R
Old Jul 23, 2006, 10:56 am

Programs: *Wood Gold, Hyatt Plat, AA Gold, UA 1K
Eureka Springs, AR nice quaint town...

It is located in an absolutely beautiful part of Arkansas. The town is very quaint with small shops and eateries. I don't know if I would exactly place it as a destination, but nice.

We used to live in Tulsa so it was only 2 hours away - nice weekend escape. Full of artists, but be aware the big draw is the Passion Play that is on all summer in the full outdoor amphitheater. And you are still in the bible belt with a church every block!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.