Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Tips for Kuala Lumpur

Search this Thread

Old Jun 27, 2007, 11:21 am

Programs: StarAlliance
Kuala Lumpur

Living in K.L. I would not recommend the former Regent at the moment. It is surrounded by scaffolding and has a huge building site right next to it.
Better move to one of the hotels opposite the road like Marriott or Westin or
Ritz Carlton. I understand from a colleague who stayed there recently that even the pool cannot be used as a resting place because of the building noise. Another word of advice. If you visit Blue Boy in the lane behind the Regent take your ID as there were frequent raids lately because of all the drug peddling. The sauna belonging to BB opposite is filthy and definitely not recommendable. Better go to Otot which is difficult to find (go to Jalan Putra and stand in front of the Putra Hotel - opposite is a lane where you walk thru right to the end. There is a (hetero) Karaoke Bar and the second staircase from there has a red letterbox signed Otot. Climb up two flights of stairs.)
Hope you will enjoy your stay.
Old Jun 27, 2007, 12:41 pm

Programs: StarAlliance
P.S.
all the places mentioned do not get packed before midnight. A waste of time going there before. But - unlike Bangkok or Thailand - the vast majority of gays are non-commercial. If you want to make friends or dates beforehand, try
www.my.guys4men.com.
Have fun !
Old Jun 27, 2007, 12:44 pm

Programs: AA EXP
KL in general is pretty cruisy IMO. I was just shopping at KLCC when I visited last year, this guy who worked at the store totally tried to pick me up. Well happened at 2 stores actually. I guess when you are a tourist and gay, you just stick out! they were both cute too... I was just dumb!
Old Jun 27, 2007, 2:02 pm

Programs: OW, *A, Bonvoy, WOH
KL's gay scene seems so static on one hand and so fluid on the other. There's no shortage of boys in KL, just the places they congregate in. What a fickle bunch they are.

I can confirm (from my trip to KL 3 weeks ago) that Frangi is still the place to be on Friday night. Don't bother with anywhere else (and definitely not La Queen). Saturday nights is now a toss-up between Liquid and La Queen. Frangi is less intense of a club than Liquid/La Queen. Alcohol is also shockingly expensive in KL. FYI, Bliss is now closed.

For hotels, the best bets are still the Bukit Bintang area (Westin, JW, Ritz, etc.) and the KLCC area (MO, Traders, etc.).

Not gay, but the new Sky Bar above the Traders Hotel in the KLCC area has a dead-on, jaw-dropping, pearl-clutching, cream-yourself-and-slide-off-your-seat view of the Petronas Twin Towers. Don't miss it!
Old Jun 27, 2007, 2:25 pm

Programs: BA Gold; FB Gold; IHG Plat AMB
so should I change?

Originally Posted by kyushuman
Yes, I just googled it--The Regent KL is now the Millennium KL, undergoing a major refurb.
Hope it's still as nice!
hotels, that is (from the Crowne to Millennium) or am I okay, just the way I am?
Old Jun 28, 2007, 12:53 am

Programs: Frantic Hilton/Marriott runs
Depends on what you hope to achieve on your trip. Can't beat being in the middle of the BB area for shopping/business/food. Never ever underestimate the horrors of KL rush hour traffic. And the refurbishment promos look attractive.

Having said that, some of my best KL experiences are in the club floor at Mandarin Oriental while enjoying champagne and canapies before a splendid concert at the Malaysian Philharmonic. Or at the pool at the Renaissance exchanging furtive smiles with fellow visitors ogling the hunky KL natives at their best in skimpy speedos. 5 star hotels in KL are a dime-a-dozen... take your pick!
Old Jun 28, 2007, 2:29 am

Programs: Aeroplan E75
Originally Posted by flysas
Got a business stay comming up in Kualar Lumpur will be staying at The Regent Hotel, any tips for gay bars or suanas?
Avoid the dishonest taxi drivers! Probably the worst world wide for a "developed" city.
Old Jun 30, 2007, 10:34 am

Programs: QF, SQ
Originally Posted by trd
not officially, but there certainly is action. Most of the shopping arcades are pretty cruisy also. Regent is great choice, my favorite in KL.
The Regent has been under renovation lately and there is a massive building site next door. I would recommend another hotel for the time being... as pointed out already (sorry)

Last edited by Malaysian16; Jun 30, 2007 at 10:44 am
Old Jun 30, 2007, 10:37 am

Originally Posted by PlnCzy
Visiting KL for the first tme in October. Are there any gay venues within walking distance of the Crowne Plaza? Or would it be better to change and stay in the city centre area?
Crowne Plaza Mutiara IS in the city centre area...
Old Jun 30, 2007, 10:43 am

Originally Posted by ulyparis
Avoid the dishonest taxi drivers! Probably the worst world wide for a "developed" city.
Think taxis in a lot of cities around the world are not dissimilar... am thinking athens, bangkok for example.
utilise the usual international 'taxi dishonesty tactics' and you should be fine.
Old Jul 1, 2007, 9:58 am

Programs: KE Skypass, Morning Calm
Originally Posted by Malaysian16
Think taxis in a lot of cities around the world are not dissimilar... am thinking athens, bangkok for example.
I've rarely encountered a problem with Bangkok taxis. After one bad experience, I never take a taxi parked in front of a hotel. Some of the taxis lined up along Silom and Suriwongse at bar closing time will try to operate without a meter, but I simply walk over to Rama IV where there a scores of cabs happy to give you a metered ride.
Old Jul 1, 2007, 10:20 am

Programs: Flying Blue, easyJet Plus (!)
Originally Posted by Malaysian16
Crowne Plaza Mutiara IS in the city centre area...
And is right next to a monorail stop which is handy. Having stayed there for just short of 3 weeks in January I was impressed with it; an all-round good quality hotel.

Neil
Old Jul 3, 2007, 6:17 pm

Programs: BA Gold, TG Gold, HHonors Diamond, SPG Plat
It is a little out of the way but if you are into saunas, then OTOT is very clean and busy (ie rampant) on weekends. Althought originally from KL myself, I have been living in the UK for the past 20-odd years and was surprised by the busy activities there on a Saturday afternoon. Not unlike parts of London.
Old Jul 4, 2007, 1:08 pm

Programs: Gold: BA, BMI, SQ PPS, Starwood Plat
KL Hotel

I travel often to KL and usually stay in the KL Westin or in the Regent before its renovation. Westin is very gay friendly and in a great location. Sales team is lame but front desk and Living room staffs cute.

Bukit Bintang walk is very “happening” but I would stay away from Blue Boy, Frangipani is better. Try Senjakala spa for massage, its clean and has handsome therapists.
Old Jul 5, 2007, 6:51 am

Programs: too many...
Did stay in the Regent one night last month. I did only learn two days before arriving there that the buidling is under very major refurbishment, inside and outside. Regent didn't bother to mention it when making the reservation. It is very noisy during the day. Also, its no longer a Regent Hotel as it was sold to another group. FS is building a new hotel in KUL, but I don't know exactly where.

After one night in the construction site I moved to teh RC, which I found very nice.

Originally Posted by kyushuman
Yes, I just googled it--The Regent KL is now the Millennium KL, undergoing a major refurb.
Hope it's still as nice!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.