Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > GLBT Travelers
Reload this Page >

Gay Games Chicago July 15-23

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Gay Games Chicago July 15-23

Search this Thread

Old Apr 15, 2006, 7:19 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVPG, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, National Executive Elite, Avis First, Hertz PC
Arrow Gay Games Chicago July 15-23

Maybe buried somewhere in this forum there is a thread for those of us attending the Gay Games in Chicago this July - but I did not see it on first glance.

So if you are attending - are you a participant? a spectator?

Has anyone found any great deals on hotels, airfare, etc?

Can some locals offer some must-visits for those of us enjoying our first time in the city?

I'm a bit late getting started in my planning for this, but through a friend of a friend a volleyball team from Pennsylvania asked me to set for their team. I'll be hanging out at Navy Pier for the majority of the week. Haven't booked airfare or hotel yet, haven't liked the prices I've seen thus far, after all I am still a student.

Best!
Brandon
Old Apr 15, 2006, 7:53 pm

Will be attending the 1st World OUT Games in Montreal July 26 > August 5th!!

http://www.montreal2006.org/home.html

Looking forward to Montreal hosting this major event looks like they will be having more participants than Chicago.
Old Apr 15, 2006, 8:03 pm

I am registered for the triathlon. As it takes place bright and early on the first day (6 AM) after the opening ceremonies the night before, I am not expecting to have the best race. Would not matter much as I am expecting to be well toward the higher end of the finishing times. By finishing early in the week, I hope to be able to spend a little more time at some of the venues, meeting others people, etc.

As a local, I of course have not had to look into travel arrangements. As for the things to do, I am not a good one for that if you are looking for the current hot night spots. There have been a few threads in this forum over the last couple years that touched on some of that, so you might find things there. As with any city this size, there are also so many non-gay things to do -- really depends on your interests.

If we have enough FTers coming to town, perhaps we can try to do some sort of informal FT get-together (dinner, drinks, watch an event together, etc.) I will be traveling the week before, but can help some with planning if there is interest.
Old Apr 15, 2006, 8:14 pm

Originally Posted by imverge

Looking forward to Montreal hosting this major event looks like they will be having more participants than Chicago.
I wish the best for Montreal AND Chicago and hope that everyone else does too. It is a bit unfortunate that there had to be the competing games as it makes it tougher for either to be successful financially. Too bad that there were the various political issues and such that led to it (and I have not followed the planning over the years to know what all of them are.) I just hope that both cities do a great job hosting and that everyone who participates/spectates at each has a great time.
Old Apr 15, 2006, 10:55 pm

Programs: Delta, Hertz, Hilton, Marriott
delete

Last edited by tmorse6570; Sep 16, 2007 at 6:25 am
Old Apr 15, 2006, 11:05 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

wow.. two gay olympics.. and all the accompanying dance parties..
Old Apr 16, 2006, 1:10 pm

Originally Posted by izzik
wow.. two gay Olympics.. and all the accompanying dance parties..
Well if it's parties that you are looking for then Montreal can not be beat. After-all Montreal is host to Black & Blue (they know how to party) and you can't miss the totally naked HOT guys at the strip clubs... everything comes off

It seems Montreal has the edge over Chicago with high profile OUT athletes such as Olympic Gold swimmer Mark Tewksbury as co-president & Tennis Star Martina Navratilova will open the games . The games will be broadcast on the Canadian Broadcasting Corp. with International feeds. So coverage will be extensive not only across Canada but around the world.

I don't know about the Chicago games but The OUT Games in Montreal is sponsored and backed by The Federal, Provincial and local Canadian government. Don't think there is that support in The USA from all levels of government.

Either way I wish them both the best. ^ If you can do BOTH why NOT
Old Apr 17, 2006, 1:55 pm

It is going to be a blast!

I'm definitely going, but only for the second half of the week. I'm attending to support a friend who is competing in the softball leagues. Anyhow, it all sounds like so much fun. I'm planning on going to the closing ceremonies on Saturday afternoon and then the huge circuit party later that night. This year, Chicago did not have Fireball(an annual Chicago circuit party) so that all the resources could go towards the two huge parties taking place during the Gay Games. Both parties take place on Saturday night, well, more like early Sunday a.m.. The first is called "Inspiration" and the other is called "Triumph" and they going to be put on by Atlantis Events. This year, the Gay Games ambassadors include Billy Bean, Melissa Etheridge, Greg Louganis and Elton John. Apparently, the city of Chicago is going balls out for this one.

Re: Hotels
I've got rooms held at the Peninsula, Park Hyatt, and Sofital Water Tower Place. I haven't made up my mind yet.
Old Apr 24, 2006, 9:20 am

Programs: AC SE, HH Gold, Marriott Titanium, National EE, Sixt Platinum, Hertz PC, AVIS PC
I agree.. too bad about having 2 games.. kinda silly really. I'm thinking about going to Montreal.

Ron.
Old Apr 25, 2006, 6:34 am

Programs: UAL MM, BA G
Originally Posted by dfwoods
I am registered for the triathlon.
I'm impressed! If you need some carbo loading before training, an FTG extra noodle lunch may be in order
Old Apr 25, 2006, 2:25 pm

Programs: DL - Plat Medlln
Originally Posted by fooko2002
So if you are attending - are you a participant? a spectator?

Has anyone found any great deals on hotels, airfare, etc?
I am going the 2nd week and will be attending the Triumph party and the closing ceremonies on Saturday.

I am flying CO from EWR for just $159 RT.
Old Apr 25, 2006, 3:06 pm

Originally Posted by Derek
I'm impressed! If you need some carbo loading before training, an FTG extra noodle lunch may be in order
Great idea! I'll have to get something scheduled/posted for that Friday before (triathlon is the first day of competition -- Sun, July 16.) I will be traveling that week, but should be back in town on Thursday. But will your schedule put you in EITHER city the right week? I can just see you in Montreal the week of the Chicago games and the reverse later. That would be less than optimal.

Last edited by dfwoods; Apr 25, 2006 at 3:14 pm
Old Apr 25, 2006, 5:19 pm

Programs: UAL MM, BA G
Originally Posted by dfwoods
But will your schedule put you in EITHER city the right week? I can just see you in Montreal the week of the Chicago games and the reverse later.
The way my year has been, that is exactly what will happen
Old Apr 27, 2006, 2:32 am

Programs: UA 2MM 1K, Marriott Lifetime Titanium Premier
I'll be there the first weekend and then some. Spectator, but I will be in the Opening Ceremonies.
Old Apr 27, 2006, 7:57 am

Programs: AC-2MM & 75K
Originally Posted by imverge

Why are there two games?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.