Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > GLBT Travelers
Reload this Page >

AMS Hotel - Bilderberg Garden Hotel

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 20, 2006, 9:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP

Has anyone stayed here before..? http://www.bilderberg-garden-hotel.com/

I'm going during Easter long weekend...

I crosspost this at the KLM forum.. but that question involved airline points.. but this question asks if anyone has stayed here before.. and if it's near where the action is?

Thanks

Last edited by Guy Betsy; Mar 20, 2006 at 9:35 pm
Old Mar 20, 2006, 9:40 pm

Programs: Priceline Titanium
I stayed at the other Bilderberg Hotel - the Jan Luyken. The Bilderberg Garden is farther out from the center than that, and even the Jan Luyken, though convenient didn't feel like "where the action was" - you'd need to be in the central canal area. The Jan Luyken was decent enough but the room (a single) was very small.
Old Mar 21, 2006, 4:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

I'm booked into the Jan Luyken now as I saw that it was closer to the city. No I don't need 'action' as I'm travelling with a 'friend'. We'll be doing the cultural side of things. How do you think the Jan Luyken is for 2 people?

Thx.
Old Mar 21, 2006, 7:16 am

Programs: Priceline Titanium
I didn't see their two person rooms but the singles are SMALL. Well appointed, (marble sinks, etc) but think something more in line of a train compartment than a hotel. Service was friendly and accomodating, but I would not say it's a luxury hotel There are pretty representative pictures at tripadvisor http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserR...d_Holland.html . The hotel is right near the Rijksmuseum and that will happily vacuum up a good part of a day. It's also right outside the central district - it should not be at all hard to get to museums or theaters from it; the Leidseplein is a very short walk.
Old Mar 21, 2006, 8:26 am

AMS Hotels

Stay at the Grand Krasnapolsky. Splurge and get a "business room". AMS hotel rooms are tiny and most hotels have few amenities. The Kras has EVERYTHING!!!
Old Mar 21, 2006, 9:00 am
Moderator: GLBT Travelers & Hyatt Gold Passport

Or try Priceline - we got the Renaissance for like $95 - not sure what its going for these days (check the regular PL sites).
Old Mar 21, 2006, 12:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

My travel dates are 14-17 April. Yep. EASTER!
Old Mar 22, 2006, 10:50 am

Programs: NWA Lowly Silver ; Priceline Whore
Originally Posted by FlyBalletGuy
The hotel is right near the Rijksmuseum and that will happily vacuum up a good part of a day. .
Most of the Rijksmuseum is closed for renovations... if you're going to ever come back to Amsterdam, your best bet is to wait a few years (I think 2008) until the rest opens... that being said, there's a number of decent museums in this area including the nice Van Gogh museum.
Old Mar 22, 2006, 2:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Would anyone recommend any gay guesthouses that aren't 'too gay'?
Old Mar 22, 2006, 2:24 pm

Programs: NWA Platinum Elite, Million miler plus
Originally Posted by Guy Betsy
Would anyone recommend any gay guesthouses that aren't 'too gay'?
I'd recommend staying with my friends Ken and Vlad at one of their B&B's
(Maes B&B). Perfect, central location, close to everything you'll want, and to tram lines & Centraal Station.

http://www.bedandbreakfastamsterdam.com/
Old Mar 22, 2006, 3:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by DESMOINESguy
I'd recommend staying with my friends Ken and Vlad at one of their B&B's
(Maes B&B). Perfect, central location, close to everything you'll want, and to tram lines & Centraal Station.

http://www.bedandbreakfastamsterdam.com/
Thank you...

It looks wonderful...

I'll check availability...
Old Mar 23, 2006, 9:27 pm

Programs: UA Million Miler
Stayed at the Bilderberg a few years ago. Nice property. They assign Americans to the 2nd floor. Rooms were spacious I thought. Would need to cab or bus it to the nightlife.
Old Mar 25, 2006, 11:38 am

Hotel Amistad in Amsterdam

^
Originally Posted by Guy Betsy
Has anyone stayed here before..? http://www.bilderberg-garden-hotel.com/

I'm going during Easter long weekend...

I crosspost this at the KLM forum.. but that question involved airline points.. but this question asks if anyone has stayed here before.. and if it's near where the action is?

Thanks
We haven't stayed there, but we did take a mini-honeymoon in February to AMS and stayed here: http://www.amistad.nl/
It was great! We highly recommend it.
Old Mar 26, 2006, 6:41 pm

Smile Aero Hotel

I would recommend Aero Hotel (name doesn't sound that nice nor gay... lol).

Great location, affordable and clean. They have a small cozy cafeteria downstairs where you have breakfast... nice people and it's close to some of the nice gay bars in town, but not in the Red Light District. So if you are into the leather scene, I would recommend staying by the RLD. If you like more younger preppy crowd, Aero Hotel is closer to these bars. The tram is less than half a block away. Walking distance to most of the places to go to.

We stayed there last year in Feb and it was great. Also, if you don't get lucky after a night out, right across the street is the best sauna in town. We did it several times after hitting the bars and it was fun. Mixed crowd, lots of tourist but also lots of Dutch cute guys! and lot of action.

AMS is a must... have fun!!!

JCinNYC

Last edited by JCinNYC; Mar 26, 2006 at 6:43 pm Reason: spelling
Old Aug 25, 2006, 10:59 am

Programs: GM
Originally Posted by JCinNYC
I would recommend Aero Hotel (name doesn't sound that nice nor gay... lol).

Great location, affordable and clean. They have a small cozy cafeteria downstairs where you have breakfast... nice people and it's close to some of the nice gay bars in town, but not in the Red Light District. So if you are into the leather scene, I would recommend staying by the RLD. If you like more younger preppy crowd, Aero Hotel is closer to these bars. The tram is less than half a block away. Walking distance to most of the places to go to.

JCinNYC
per their website, the aero hotel is closed for renovations until october 2006:

"Dear visitor, the Aero Hotel will be closed till the first week of October. During this period the Aero Hotel will be redesigned! When finished it will be more luxurious!

During the construction period you can make reservations by sending us an e-mail at: [email protected]. "

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.