Bogota -

Old Feb 6, 2008, 10:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: A3&O6 Gold,IC AMB & HH Diamond
Originally Posted by JCinNYC
While I haven't been down there for a long while (almost 5 years), I would recommend you to stay in the Zona Rosa area, which is much much nicer and has a lot more to offer such as very good restaurants, shops, malls, bars, hotels, etc. Chapinero is not a nice area, very 'smb' oriented, kinda hectic (think about Garment District here in NYC) with lots of small business and offices, people rushing and traffic is crazy. I don't think there's a good selection of restaurants or bars, just a few for businessmen during lunch hours (and the gay bars you mentioned I believe)

Zona Rosa is very close to Chapinero and I'd rather cab it to a gay bar in Chapinero if you are going out (there should be gay bars in ZR too, there was one back then on Calle 74 IIRC) . Other than going to gay bars, I would not go to Chapinero as it has nothing to see. Zona Rosa is in Calle 82 and surroundings while Chapinero starts in Calle 72 and lower... so depending on where you stay, it'll be a 10-15 min ride (depending on time of day and traffic), and cabs are pretty inexpensive. Make sure you take one from the hotel if you don't know the city and don't speak Spanish to avoid getting lost or getting charged triple!

Enjoy Bogota!

Could you recommend a hotel in Zona Rosa with a gym?
Old Feb 7, 2008, 9:04 pm

Originally Posted by djjaguar64
Could you recommend a hotel in Zona Rosa with a gym?
Not sure which one has a gym, you would have to google it but most of the hotels in this area are pretty good, upscale and not that cheap.

The ones I recommend are Andino Royal, Charleston Hotel and Victoria Regia (Sofitel)
Old Feb 13, 2008, 8:51 pm

Programs: UAL, FlyingBlue, Marriott
Colombia is delightful. I went some time ago, but was staying with a friend's family in Bogota. We also went to Cartagena. Gringos beware: not many Colombians speak English. Cant wait to go back! I've emailed a friend about where to stay in Bogota.:-:
Old Feb 19, 2008, 1:48 pm

Hi, I am from Bogota, but I live in SF, CA.
Bogota has a HUGE GLBT community and the number of bars, discos and establishments is one of the most extenive of any Latin metropolis. Bars tend to be spread out in different barrios (barrios in Colombia don't mean slums like they do in the anglo world, the word barrio means neighborhood), but the Chapinero barrio is where many of the bars are located and where many gay people live at. Chapinero starts aroung carrera 1st to 14th and calles 55th to 72nd It is a big area. There is one that is a must, it is Teatron Teatrn (calle 58 # 10-32), an old mega movie cinema turned into a club. Once you are there, you'll be able to meet people, get guides, etc..
I also have friends who live in Bogota. If you are interested and serious I'll connect you with them as they are proffessionals, well educated, some of them in LTRs, but all of them friendly and somewhat fluent in English. Let me know.
R
Old Feb 19, 2008, 6:32 pm

Thumbs up Transmilenio BRT

By the way, you may want to check this video of the mass transit system of Bogota, it is an inexpensive and very convenient way of getting around the city.
http://www.streetsblog.org/2008/01/2...brt-in-bogota/
Old Feb 20, 2008, 5:18 am

Programs: DL SkyMiles PM/2MM, AA Plat, IC Diam. Amb., Peninsula regular, amanjunkie
Welcome to FlyerTalk, aginsf and sfcolombiaguy!

I'm already back from my trip to Bogota, didn't have time to get out much, as I suspected would be the case. Others, though, will find your posts helpful. And so will I, if I go back again.
Old Feb 21, 2008, 1:16 pm

I'd be curious to see how your trip went, where you ended up staying, did you see any parts of the city?
Old Feb 21, 2008, 2:31 pm

Programs: DL SkyMiles PM/2MM, AA Plat, IC Diam. Amb., Peninsula regular, amanjunkie
A couple of successful days of meetings with clients. Stayed at the Sheraton, which was okay but much more of a Four Points (as it used to be) than a Sheraton. Mostly we were on Avenida El Dorado, but had a brief meeting near the Metropolitan Club, which gave us a chance to see a good bit of the city, and had an enjoyable dinner at a civicheria in a new(ish) restaurant "zone" around Carrera 7 and Calle 116. Didn't get any down time for exploring or entertainment, but did see my share of handsome Colombians. ^
Old Feb 27, 2008, 4:31 pm

Great, I am glad you had a good experience, I guess a good Colombian tisser.
Old Jun 9, 2009, 1:52 pm

Programs: SPG Plat; Delta Elite; Hilton; US Air; American;
I recently returned from Bogota and completely recommend the city. I even wrote a small blog about my trip and mention the one must see - the cable car up to the top of Montserrate.
http://news.cheapflights.com/airline...gota.html#more

Also, (as mentioned in the blog) I'd recommend the Embassay Suites, especially if you can use points as it is a category2. Great value and a great location. Close to Zona Rosa and Parque 93 by taxi and even walking distance to many other restaurants and cafes...Plus you will not be disappointed with the scenery, both the green city surrounded by mountains and its beautiful people.

Plus, the city has an energy, and sure you may need to be careful some, but I never felt any more unsafe there than in any major world capital.
^
Old Jul 12, 2009, 12:03 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, Southwest A-List
I'm considering going this year

Anyone planning to go this year? I'm thinking about going around Thanksgiving.
Old Apr 21, 2010, 11:30 am
Original Member

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K, Marriott LT Titanium
Bumping the thread....

Thinking about going down for a saturday night in a couple of weeks. 24 hour Mileage Run.

Any recent advice? Hotel recommendations? Restaurants? Is Teatron still the place?
Old Apr 21, 2010, 12:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: A3&O6 Gold,IC AMB & HH Diamond
I am glad you did as I am also interested again this year, could not make it the last time. ^
Old Apr 21, 2010, 2:26 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus, Skymiles, EleVAte founding member, SPG
Originally Posted by RChavez
Thinking about going down for a saturday night in a couple of weeks. 24 hour Mileage Run.

Any recent advice? Hotel recommendations? Restaurants? Is Teatron still the place?
I'll be there with a friend May 6-10. When are you thinking of going?
Old Apr 21, 2010, 4:52 pm

Originally Posted by RChavez
1 day in Colombia? Hope you get a nice customs officer

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.