Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Gayest Bar at ORD

Search this Thread

Old Apr 19, 2005, 4:42 pm
Original Poster

Gayest Bar at ORD

I know these things can vary depending on who happens to be traveling on a particular day but I've got an international flight coming up with a long layover at O'hare (5 hours) and was wondering if the Airport itself had any bar(or coffeeplace, etc.) that was in general gayer than the rest, possibly due to a friendly bartender or being a crew hangout, etc. I would be willing to go outside of the airport, in the general vicinity of ORD, but am somewhat wary of going all the way downtown...do you think the bar at the ORD Hilton might have a gay vibe?

Last edited by Leisuremiles; Apr 19, 2005 at 4:44 pm Reason: stupid grammer
Old Apr 20, 2005, 7:13 am

Location: PPSP. Yeah, I'm the bartender at that fancy 5-Star that forgot you said no salt on your freakin' frozen margarita. Listen up people! NO FROZEN DRINKS!
Well at this exact moment it is the RCC next to gate C-16.

Later it will be the RCC at IAD.

Later it will be the RCC at MCO. (Is there one?)

Anyway, that is my itinerary today.
Old Apr 20, 2005, 9:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I think you're out of luck. You might get lucky if you're at the right bar/coffee shop at the right time, but there's not going to be any regularly ongoing "gay vibe" in or around ORD.
Old Apr 20, 2005, 10:11 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA: 2 MM
Originally Posted by Doppy
I think you're out of luck. You might get lucky if you're at the right bar/coffee shop at the right time, but there's not going to be any regularly ongoing "gay vibe" in or around ORD.
At least at a bar.
Old Apr 20, 2005, 5:08 pm

Location: MSP (and will only fly NWA in re-routes if I HAVE to)
Programs: AA EXP (4.5MM), hotel programs as needed
Since you have an international flight, I'm assuming that you will be departing ORD sometime late afternoon or early evening. I know the AA flights begin leaving around 4-5pm to BRU, FRA, CDG, LHR and others.. then continue all the way to like 10pm to LHR.

If you are doing NRT/NGO they leave around lunch time, and you'd be backtracking from PSP.

As Karma suggests .. the specific airline club might be a more quiet (and refined) option. The riff-raff go the the bars at the terminals and watch sporting events and drink beer from plastic cups. The clubs are far more upper crust (and beer at least is in glassware)! AND at least at the American Admirals Club (and the Flagship first class lounge) have a smoking room!

The 'bartenders' will be less of an opportunity. I know the AA club uses like Marriott AirHost or some catering company for their club staffing. The majority of the bar staff (and other wait staff) at the airport looks like they come from rent-an-employee centralized hiring company vs what you are looking for (a downscale of the bar at Shame on the Moon perhaps??). (this compared to the olden days when there WERE really nice employees of the airline working the bars .. or the various food service outlets).

I'm thru ORD late morning of the 28th ... as Karma offers ... club access! wink

The bar at the Hilton is a tacky sports bar with bare floors and poor service.

I cannot vouch for other than AA's terminal area .. the bars are standup mainly out in the open. Wolfgang's main restaurant (near security) has lots of concourse-side tables to people watch and decent food (not to be confused with Chili's on the other side).

Taking the L into town is a GOOD option .. but it will leave you in the center of downtown or you will need to transfer to another train. That said its a 45+ minute ride into a great city with some great food!

The only 'bar' close to ORD is perhaps 15 minutes away called Hunters (same as the Hunters Video Bar in PS) but unless you are on a very late international bird .. this place does not get started until 10pm or later. You can best rent a car for the few hours .. and it is past the car-rental places that direction.
Old Apr 22, 2005, 3:30 pm

Hmmm....hard one. Why not try the sauna at the O'Hare Hilton. You can get a pass to the gym for about $15.00. Just kidding, really, I wouldn't reccommend that. I'd go for AA Admirals Club between the H & K piers. Note: I had sex with my bf in shower at the club last year...definitely the most fun ever had at O'Hell!
Old Apr 22, 2005, 3:33 pm

Location: MSP (and will only fly NWA in re-routes if I HAVE to)
Programs: AA EXP (4.5MM), hotel programs as needed
What was the secret knock on the door once the AC-person had left??

Always wondered if that could be done... and such NICE big showers. Next time try the BIGGER and unattended (they give you the key and point you in the right direction) at DFW 'A' concourse club.
Old Apr 22, 2005, 4:02 pm

Originally Posted by JGR01
What was the secret knock on the door once the AC-person had left??

Always wondered if that could be done... and such NICE big showers. Next time try the BIGGER and unattended (they give you the key and point you in the right direction) at DFW 'A' concourse club.
Exactly! We were returning from Zurich(when AA still had the flight) and had about a 3 hour layover. I had the bf loiter in hall near where the showers exist. The agent came and unlocked the door for me, I went in, he noticed where I was, she left, and the rest is history. My friends are still amazed at how fresh and RELAXED we were when we got picked up at the airport in NC.
Old Apr 22, 2005, 7:18 pm

Location: The opinion expessed here are not necessarly those of United Airlines or any affiliates or subsidiaries of UAL Corp..
Crews don't like to hangout at any airport bar. We see the airports enough. Also we can't drink in uniform or while on duty.

Your best bet is to hit the RCC or get a gym pass at the Hilton.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.