Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > GLBT Travelers
Reload this Page >

Anyone familiar with gay goings-on in Pakistan?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 7, 2005, 8:48 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

I would be curious to hear about anyone's experiences with gay places in Pakistan. With regard to the subcontinent, India gets most of the media attention, Pakistan being regarded as a kind of poor relation and being mostly ignored, IMHO.

Beyond the safety concerns, which are undoubtedly significant, I'd like to hear about beaches and gathering spots, that sort of thing. I'm aware there are gay brothels in Karachi.
Old Feb 14, 2005, 11:02 pm

Please let us know how the Pakistani prisons are. Maybe when you get out (if you do) you can update us on the Saudi gay nightlife as well
Old Feb 15, 2005, 3:48 am

Originally Posted by joel304
Please let us know how the Pakistani prisons are. Maybe when you get out (if you do) you can update us on the Saudi gay nightlife as well
Gee, how helpful was that?
Old Feb 15, 2005, 9:32 am

Programs: UA 1MM, DL former Gold, AA, SPG, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
I have heard a few stories about gay encounters--especially with cops in Pakistan from a friend who used to live in Karachi as a diplomat. Apparently men have sex with men there because they have limited access to women--or at least that is the excuse. However, I don't know anything about a "gay scene" per se.
Old Feb 16, 2005, 1:19 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by joel304
LOL (I actually thought this was funny) Kinda like "Midnight Express"?

Well, let's just say that while a very sad fact of life for most gays in Pakistan - especially those who are former expatriates returning from a Western country - is that imprisonment is very possible - even perhaps likely?, I'm curious to know about experiences traveling in Pakistan from other gay men.

I did actually read a very good book on the subject written by a native Pakistani living now in Canada, about gay life there, "Sex Longing and Not Belonging" by Badruddin Khan. However, my experience tells me that there is probably a different Pakistan for the Pakistani than there is for outsiders. While this book was fun reading, I'd like to hear from other gay Westerners who have contemporary accounts of what's up.

Re: Saudi Arabia, non-muslims are not able to travel there, I thought, outside of oil workers or state department officials or members of the press? Would be interesting, but I can't stand the idea of spending my money in a state governed by such a regime. Pakistan is more moderate.
Old Feb 16, 2005, 2:24 pm

Ah yes, this reminds me of anonplz's thread wherein he mentions he likes to speak French to "olive-skinned" people he sees around town; I suggested he try practicing his French in Algiers or Brazzaville (or his Russian in Kabul).

Did you try Google before tro, er, inquiring here?
Old Feb 16, 2005, 9:51 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, Hilton Diamond
Thumbs down

Originally Posted by anonplz
I would be curious to hear about anyone's experiences with gay places in Pakistan. With regard to the subcontinent, India gets most of the media attention, Pakistan being regarded as a kind of poor relation and being mostly ignored, IMHO.

Beyond the safety concerns, which are undoubtedly significant, I'd like to hear about beaches and gathering spots, that sort of thing. I'm aware there are gay brothels in Karachi.
Do you have any intention whatsoever of visiting Pakistan or are you simply trolling?
Old Feb 16, 2005, 9:56 pm
Original Poster

Smile

Originally Posted by pynchonesque
Ah yes, this reminds me of anonplz's thread wherein he mentions he likes to speak French to "olive-skinned" people he sees around town; I suggested he try practicing his French in Algiers or Brazzaville (or his Russian in Kabul).

Did you try Google before tro, er, inquiring here?
Of course, but enquiring here is so much more fun, mon ami! LOL

Seriously, google is great, but when it comes to some kinds of information, it just isn't found except in firsthand accounts.

EDIT:

Originally Posted by Morrissey
Do you have any intention whatsoever of visiting Pakistan or are you simply trolling?
Um... is this a trick question? The answer is yes. But you knew that already.

Last edited by anonplz; Feb 16, 2005 at 10:20 pm
Old Feb 16, 2005, 11:05 pm

Uh, shockingly enough, FT isn't the only place on the web where one can find firsthand accounts of things.

Suspend disbelief for a second, and get your mind around this: there are websites by and for Pakistani gay men (in English), just a few Google keystrokes away. I think they'd have more experience with the Pakistani gay scene than FT'ers would -- although I suppose finding the information that way wouldn't be nearly as, umm, provocative.
Old Feb 16, 2005, 11:13 pm
GK

Programs: reformed ex basic Member
Originally Posted by anonplz

Re: Saudi Arabia, non-muslims are not able to travel there, I thought, outside of oil workers or state department officials or members of the press? Would be interesting, but I can't stand the idea of spending my money in a state governed by such a regime. Pakistan is more moderate.
Non muslims can travel to Saudi Arabia, with a valid visa. It is just the holy cities which are off limits. I know this as I have been there.

If you don't want to spend money supporting Saudi Arabia.. then Citibank is offlimits for a start, along with a whole line of companies that have Saudi investors. Worth another thread I should think.

I am heading to Pakistan (Karachi) in March, and not expecting to do much apart from work, sleep and eat.. so don't expect it to be a very gay trip !
Old Feb 17, 2005, 9:08 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by GK
I am heading to Pakistan (Karachi) in March, and not expecting to do much apart from work, sleep and eat.. so don't expect it to be a very gay trip !
All work and no play makes GK a dull boy, and we wouldn't want that, now!
Old Feb 17, 2005, 3:30 pm
Moderator: GLBT Travelers & Hyatt Gold Passport

Just wanted to drop a warning to keep the thread on topic and not commentaries on other members.

peteropny - co-moderator - GLBT
Old Aug 31, 2019, 9:01 pm

Programs: Southwest, Alaska, United, American Airlines
Any recent Pakistan experiences?
Old Sep 11, 2019, 8:10 pm

Programs: EVA Air , * G, QR Privilege Club S
The LBGT scene is a lot more compared to such a country. A lot of the weddings have the TS dancing. Some of them look stunning and from what I have seen the males are not averse to some romance with them too. Obviously these are private parties like weddings parties. Lahore seems to be pick of the bunch. Do not know about the gay scene but from what I have seen I am sure it must be there too.
Old Sep 12, 2019, 6:30 pm

Programs: Non-status paid F/J (best value for $$$)
I was told that in these type of countries, if you need to hang out, just stick with other expats (can be from various other countries) who are in the same boat. Avoid the locals as they can change their mind and report you.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.