FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   GLBT Travelers (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/glbt-travelers-218/)
-   -   Santiago suggestions (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/glbt-travelers/370978-santiago-suggestions.html)

awc4 Nov 12, 2004 8:47 am

Santiago suggestions

I've never been to South America and will be in Santiago for a week on business and have a weekend to explore Santiago...any suggestions?

GuysInCT Nov 12, 2004 9:45 am

In Santiago, Bellavista is where the gay scene is. During the day, this place looks scary, but at night, it really comes alive. Bellavista is closest to the metro stop "Baquedano". After getting off the metro, you'll have to walk across the bridge (over the river), and then you are at the entrance to Bellavista. Be cautioned that when you get off the metro, that square in front of the pizza place has many youngs guys available (for a price). They're not harmful, just be aware that they expect their friendless to not go unrewarded.

My favorite bar is Fausto. The downstairs has a nice bar, and a table/cafe-type area. Then you go up the Grand (really grand!) staircase, and upstairs is a disco, and another elegant bar room. Very classy. Gets a great crowd, and as I recall, Thursday night was very popular.

Another interesting disco is Bokhara. This place might be hard to find, as it's deep into Bellavista, past where the tram is to go up the hill, and down an alley behind a hotel. Many different spaces inside, which are quite interesting.

The other big disco there is called Bunker. We didn't like this place so much, just a huge, metalic, uninviting disco. But it was packed, so if you're looking for crowds, you might want to check this out.

There are some nice, quieter bars in Bellavista as well. Friends we met there took us to one which had an internet cafe, a cabaret showroom, and a wonderful outdoors cafe setting, with many round tables. The patrons were all very friendly, and would actually come up, sit at your table, and chat the night away. Sorry I don't remember the name of the place, but if I was there, I think I could find it again.

As for restaurants, the absolute best meal I've had there was at Capricho Español. Be sure to make a reservation, and if you make it for much before midnight, you might be the only diner there. Santiago, like many latin cities, is a very late-night place. Walk around Bella Vista just before or after your meal, and you'll find lots of other wonderful places to eat.

There are several saunas in Santiago, though I can't give you any first-hand experience. After our dinner at Capricho Español, our waiter gave us comp adminisions to one sauna (which was owned by the guy who also owned the restaurant), but we didn't take advantage of the offer.

Although it is mostly a business center, Santiago, does have some nice sites to see. We had our Santiago-based travel agent Diego Morales arrange two nice tours for us: a city tour, which lasted about 4-5 hours in a mini-van, which took us to all the major sites in town. It started with a walking tour around the historic center, then the van took us up the big hill, and around the outskirts. The cost was US$20 per person. Diego also arranged a great private walking tour for another day, US$35 per person. We were the only two on this tour, and our guide took us to food halls and other out-of-the-way places that we would have never found on our own.

Diego also arranged our hotel for us. Seems that the local travel agents can get much better rates that you would ever do on your own. We stayed at Hotel Rugendas in Las Condes. It was about a 5 minute walk to the metro. The hotel is a boutique hotel, very nice, very gay-friendly. When we were showed to our room, we were presented with a bottle of wine to welcome us to Chile. A very nice touch. Note that there are no hotels in Bellavista that are recommended, so you'll have to stay somewhere else and commute to the nightlife. We found this area (just on the border of Providencia and Las Condes) to be a great location.

Depending on your likes, you may want to consider a trip out of the city on the weekend. Valparasio/Vina del Mar are just over an hour way. Valparasio is an older city, but very interesting to see. Just north is Vina del Mar, where all the chic flock to in good weather. Also nearby are some well-known wineries. You can arrange full day and half day trips to sample the wines.

Hope you have a great trip. Let me know if there are other questions I can help you with.

AASEAGuy Nov 15, 2004 4:09 pm

Santiago

"I've never been to South America and will be in Santiago for a week on business and have a weekend to explore Santiago...any suggestions?"

Go to the wineries. One of the best is Concho Y Toro. They do a great tour. Just ask your hotel to set you up with a half day Wine Tour. Great people when I took it and loads of fun plus great Chilean Cabs at amazing prices.

Have Fun!

AASeaGuy

catwood Feb 21, 2007 9:24 pm

Any update to this thread? I'm going to chile march 8-12th.

Thanks,

Chris

holtju2 Mar 2, 2007 1:18 am

Originally Posted by catwood (Post 7270669)
Any update to this thread? I'm going to chile march 8-12th.

Thanks,

Chris

When I was there last June the place to go have drinks was Vox Populi and the place to dance Bunker. The nightlife is good Friday and Saturday and totally dead every other day of the week.

olafman Mar 2, 2007 11:43 am

I was in Santiago last September for 5 days. We had a great time.

We stayed at the San Cristobal Towers, the Luxury Collection property adjacent to the Sheraton. It was lovely with beautiful views of the city.

Before we arrived, I had emailed the concierge about hiring a GAY guide to show us the city on the afternoon we arrived. Bernardo showed up in a suit with a driver and van and took the four of us all around. It was lovely to have a local gay man's perspective. The hotel charged us $160 for the four of us for four hours. While it was a bit expense, it was worth it. I believe that the hotel got over half that fee!

I agree with all the club recommendations. Just remember that they are on Spanish time. At midnight a bar might have some patrons but clubs are still empty at that time.

I can offer an AMAZING restaurant recommendation. The chef won best chef in Santiago and the Restaurant won best restaurant. We had starters, mains, desserts and Chilean wines for about $45/person. It's just across the river from the Sheraton.

Here is the info on A&G:
Astrid y Gastón, Santiago (tel. 2/650-9125): Named for the Peruvian and German couple who own and run this wonderful restaurant with such care, Astrid y Gastón is one of the newest and most remarkable restaurants in Santiago -- the reason you'll often need to make reservations days in advance. The chef uses the finest ingredients, combined so that each plate bursts with flavor and personality; here, you'll find French, Spanish, Peruvian, and Japanese influences, as well as impeccable service, an on-site sommelier, and a lengthy wine list. If you can afford it, don't miss dining here.

Enjoy your time there!

Efrem Mar 3, 2007 2:59 pm

Agree with the previous post recommending Astrid & Gaston*. By far the best meal we had in Chile in January - and we had some pretty good ones!

Regarding the wine tours: Concha y Toro is by far the largest winery in the area. The tour isn't bad, but if you can spare a bit more time, go for a full-day tour. They'll add a smaller winery in the morning to offset it, with lunch at an interesting place with some character.

jsporing Mar 4, 2007 9:50 am

We were in Santiago ove Halloween last year, and it is quickly becoming a major event. All of the clubs and bars were packed and several had costume contests.

A&G is an excellent place to eat.

One day we hired a car and driver (most hotels can arrange one for you) and went down to the wine country. We visited several wineries and saw alot of beautiful scenery (without the haze that comes with Santiago). A little pricey and we could not bring any wine back with us (TSA rules), but still worth while.

catwood Mar 5, 2007 7:39 am

jsporing,

Thanks! How much did it cost to rent a driver for a day?

Chris

airair Mar 8, 2007 7:33 pm

Originally Posted by holtju2 (Post 7324603)
When I was there last June the place to go have drinks was Vox Populi and the place to dance Bunker. The nightlife is good Friday and Saturday and totally dead every other day of the week.

I had a different experience. On Thursday night Fausto is supposed to be absolutely packed. At least that was my experience when I was there a couple of years ago. Actually, when I went to Bunker on a Friday night the place wasn't so crowded but maybe that was coz the place is quite much bigger compared to Fausto.

In Santiago the guys are all quite friendly and they welcome foreigners. I had a really nice time over there and can't wait to come back.

djjaguar64 Mar 22, 2007 12:54 pm

How far is the Crowne Plaza from the night life ?

WillFlyer Jan 4, 2009 12:04 pm

Bump

Bump...

I'll be in Santiago (Chile) from Friday to Monday in mid-February. Suggestions for nightlife (dancing) and hotels/restaurants welcomed.

ROGERBCN Jan 10, 2009 11:37 am

Accomodation in SCL?

Hola!

I will be staying in Santiago de Chile for some days in Feruary.

Any recommendations as far as lodging is concerned?

Salut!

Roger :)

WillFlyer Jan 10, 2009 1:01 pm

I'm going to stay at Atton El Bosque next month. I have friends that stayed there and recommended it. It's a business hotel and looks a bit sterile but I'm going to give it a try.

born sleepy Dec 20, 2014 6:38 pm

Bump. Going Jan/Feb and I'd imagine the scene has changed since 04/07 :D Probably staying at the Sheraton Four Points.