Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Gay Tokyo

Search this Thread

Old Aug 24, 2008, 9:34 am

Programs: DL SkyMiles PM/2MM, AA Plat, IC Diam. Amb., Peninsula regular, amanjunkie
Originally Posted by aurigakb
Any pointers on cruisy areas in Tokyo/ Shinjuku?
There's a small park nearby 24 Kaikan with public loos that you might expect would be cruisy, but I haven't seen any cruising going on. Then again, the two times I've been to Tokyo were in December. I can't think of any place else that I've heard is cruisy by reputation, except maybe some corner of a large park-- maybe Ueno or wherever the 1964 Olympics were staged.

tokioblue: Your map is very cool. Is it not upside-down, in the sense that north is on the bottom of the map and south is at the top? Maybe I'm just cornfused.
Old Aug 25, 2008, 12:09 am

Originally Posted by MegatopLover
tokioblue: Your map is very cool. Is it not upside-down, in the sense that north is on the bottom of the map and south is at the top? Maybe I'm just cornfused.
Thanks MegatopLover. I made it for my friend from Spain as it's very easy to get lost in that area if you are not familiar. I've seen so many tourists getting lost there with their guide books in hands. The simpler, the better.

It is not upside-down though. North is at the top there.
Old Aug 26, 2008, 10:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Wouldn't you like to know?!
I wish I had read about this thread earlier. The area we found in NRT was pretty lame.
Old Aug 31, 2008, 1:52 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by SJC1K
I've looked through the threads in this forum but haven't found the following question specifically addressed: Has anyone had good or bad experiences checking into the Park Hyatt Tokyo as a same-sex couple? My partner and I have reservations there and wonder whether we will have difficulties (beyond perhaps having to say "Yes, the one bed we booked is really okay").

A couple months ago, I was in Tokyo at the same time as a friend from home (NYC). His work paid for a room at the Park Hyatt, so he said I could stay there since it was a 2-bed room and I was staying at the hostel.... So I'm Korean-American and he's a regular ole white dude, who dresses in suits and looks a bit older and far more serious even though he's younger (im 28, he's 26). I swear, none of the staff would address me or even acknowledge my presence when I was with him! I know it probably totally looked a bit suspicious though, especially since he walks fast so I was always like three paces behind him. Oh, and I was always carrying massive shopping bags.....

Anyways, not saying that the hotel is homophobic or anything. Thought it was kind of funny actually, and a bit flattered that they thought I was "hired help" or something.
Old Sep 5, 2008, 8:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: A3&O6 Gold,IC AMB & HH Diamond
Originally Posted by hotpot1
A couple months ago, I was in Tokyo at the same time as a friend from home (NYC). His work paid for a room at the Park Hyatt, so he said I could stay there since it was a 2-bed room and I was staying at the hostel.... So I'm Korean-American and he's a regular ole white dude, who dresses in suits and looks a bit older and far more serious even though he's younger (im 28, he's 26). I swear, none of the staff would address me or even acknowledge my presence when I was with him! I know it probably totally looked a bit suspicious though, especially since he walks fast so I was always like three paces behind him. Oh, and I was always carrying massive shopping bags.....

Anyways, not saying that the hotel is homophobic or anything. Thought it was kind of funny actually, and a bit flattered that they thought I was "hired help" or something.

From the sounds of it, looks like you were the maid, always with bags and scurrying behind the MASTER!
And that is why the hotel ignored you.
Old Sep 5, 2008, 11:49 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by djjaguar64
From the sounds of it, looks like you were the maid, always with bags and scurrying behind the MASTER!
And that is why the hotel ignored you.
Sounds like it.
Old Sep 5, 2008, 2:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Most
Originally Posted by djjaguar64
Anyway I would say that it is quite typical that if you are Caucasian you get better service/attention in Asia compared to other races.
Old Sep 13, 2008, 6:49 am

Programs: CX DM, NH Plat, SPG Lifetime Plat, Hyatt Plat
PHT totally ok for gay couples

I have stayed at the Park Hyatt numerous times and can assure you from the GM on down they are perfectly fine with gay couples. My boyfriend (who is Japanese) is handed his own copy of the key (old fashioned kind on a Tiffany key ring) by the Assist Mgr who checks us in at our suite (using GP upgrade cert naturally). They even sent us a bottle of Louis Roederer champagne for our anniversary last November.

Other posts (on the Hyatt forum) have referred to the PHT as an upscale "love hotel" as it occasionally runs at over 100% occupancy ... discrete assignations (no doubt of all varieties as I have seen in the lifts) are known to take place there. Great way to make revenue targets for the month! hehe All done in perfect discretion of course.
Old Sep 15, 2008, 5:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 2MM/GS; SPG Lifetime Plat; MHC Lifetime; Tar Heel forever; and I "Dig the Pig" at Piggly Wiggly
Originally Posted by FirstClassGuy
Ae there any gay bath houses for older men wanting to have fun? I like older japanese professional men
Any luck? Not many of us knew this was your "taste."
Old May 14, 2009, 8:23 am

Programs: AA Ex Plt
So, I'm making a trip to Tokyo in June and wanted to see if anyone had any updated suggestions. I'll be there over a weekend so want to go out and have some fun. I'll likely stay at the ANA Intercontinental w/ the F&F rate, unless there's a consensus that's an awful idea. Thanks for any tips! First trip to Tokyo.
Old May 14, 2009, 9:24 am

Originally Posted by Animgif
So, I'm making a trip to Tokyo in June and wanted to see if anyone had any updated suggestions. I'll be there over a weekend so want to go out and have some fun. I'll likely stay at the ANA Intercontinental w/ the F&F rate, unless there's a consensus that's an awful idea. Thanks for any tips! First trip to Tokyo.
Well, the gay district is pretty much the same last time I went there which was like a week ago So my map from the previous page is valid still.

I wouldn't say ANA Intercontinental is an awful idea but I would say it's not a great idea. Although you can probably ride the Marunouchi line from the closest station to the hotel (Tameike Sanno) to Shinjuku Gyoen Mae station to the gay district, it's kinda far and the transit system is shut down around midnight. So if I were you, I would suggest you to stay in the Shinjuku area as it's convenient. Some suggested Park Hyatt but that's also far unless you take a cab. So my suggestion would be Century Souther Tower. It's not a crappy hotel yet reasonable and close to the homo district and all the Shinjuku stuff and close to the station for Narita Express.
http://www.southerntower.co.jp/english/index.html

I hope you will have a good time here!
Old May 14, 2009, 12:15 pm
aeo

Sunroute Plaza

I second tokioblue's take on the hotel situation (not that the ANA isn't decent - I lived there for six weeks for work a while back). But Century Southern Tower is nice and convenient to just about everything. Even better is the Sunroute Plaza, literally just behind the Century. It's not quite as nice, but it's a very solid hotel nonetheless, and the prices, in my experience, are often quite competitive. Plus the hotel sits atop a subway station that leads straight to Tsukiji, convenient for a super early morning trip.

I love Tokyo - have fun!
Old Jun 7, 2009, 6:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: A3&O6 Gold,IC AMB & HH Diamond
Question

Ok guys & gals, we are heading to Tokyo again and are debating between the ANA Intercontinental hotel/ the Best Western in Shinjuku or the Keio Plaza. The last time we stayed at the Hyatt but it was quite a walk to everything. Any suggestions and recommendations between BW and the ANA IC, oh and I have a free night at the IC.

Last edited by djjaguar64; Jun 7, 2009 at 6:34 pm
Old Jun 8, 2009, 12:48 am

I did not know there was a BW in Shinjuku even though I grew up in Shinjuku haha.

I am not really sure about your schedule but if you are coming here by the mid of July, it's Rainy Season and it rains a lot (not crazy bucket pouring but a lot) and if you have luggage, it might be inconvenient to go to BW from the station. And the area is always busy with those people to get you inside of the expensive rip-off bars and stuff. If you know how to get around, you can probably get out from the underground exit which is 3 min walk from the hotel. But the underground is crazy in Shinjuku for people who are not familiar..

On the other hand, ANA IC has a direct shuttle service from the airport. So it's easy and don't have to get sweaty when you drag luggage. And if taxi fares aren't problematic (2500 Yen one way from the hotel to the Shinjuku area), that hotel may be a great place to stay.

Keio Plaza is a tired looking hotel with easier access than BW but if you thought Hyatt (I am referring to Hyatt Regency) was far, Keio Plaza is just like one-two block closer to the station. So it is in the same area. But out of three, I would personally choose Keio Plaza.

However, I still recommend Souther Tower or Sunroute Plaza like mentioned previously on this thread. BW would be my least favorite choice even if it's in Shinjuku. Hope this helps.
Old Sep 26, 2009, 3:39 pm

I'm staying at the Conrad Tokyo at Shiodome in November. I take it it's a bit far from the gay neighborhood. But are there any gay-friendly places to visit in that general area? It looks like I could take the Oedo metro line to Shinjuku, correct? Which exact station and which exit heads to the gay area from Shinjuku?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.