Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Favorite Gay Bar Anywhere?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 22, 2004, 11:47 am

Programs: BA GLD
Originally Posted by DavidDTW
I tried going into the George and almost choked to death from the smoke. That place needs some ventilation!
Well it's all non smoking these days in Dublin, so not to worry. I wonder when England will follow?
Old Jul 22, 2004, 12:25 pm

Hmmm bar would have to be Columbian in Sydney upstairs on a friday night.
Old Jul 22, 2004, 3:28 pm

Programs: BA Gold, LH Sen,
Current fav for me right now is the Lady Patricia in Stockholm. It used to be Queen Eliz's royal yacht before the Brittania, but now on Sundays it's a fab gay club with brilliant music, yummy Swedes, and a bubble party on the lower deck!
Old Jul 22, 2004, 8:24 pm

Programs: UA 1P (residual DL, US, AS), SPG
What's that place in Rome?

There are so many great bars and clubs...
ROXY and LIMELIGHT in New York, CATCH ONE in Los Angeles, BOOM BOOM ROOM in Laguna Beach...TWIST in South Beach, Miami...several in Chicago and Washington...

Last time I was in Rome, we ended up at this creepy, eerie, obscure little gay bar in Rome in the Trastevere area...NOT the brightly lit one on a main street, but an odd place that evokes Tim Burton's Nightmare Before Christmas and has little orange lights and funky old furniture...
Old Jul 22, 2004, 9:07 pm
Suspended

I have been trying to think of the name of my favourite bar all day today and keep drawing a blank. It is a pub, quite old, on Canal St. in Manchester. Been to it many times, usually left a bit tipsy - perhaps that is why I can't remember it. I remembered it is the Rembrandt.

Second place goes to one in SYD, but I was sooo drunk (it was Mardi-Gras), I can't for the life of me remember the name. Spent lots of time there over the week. It was near a corner, Oxford St. of course, the front of it was a long bar that you stood at and watched the butts go by on the street. There was an upstairs as well. (guess the memory is starting to go)

Last edited by MapleLeaf; Jul 23, 2004 at 12:57 pm
Old Jul 22, 2004, 9:23 pm

Originally Posted by MapleLeaf
It was near a corner, Oxford St. of course, the front of it was a long bar that you stood at and watched the butts go by on the street. There was an upstairs as well. (guess the memory is starting to go)
The Columbian
Old Jul 22, 2004, 11:38 pm

Location: formerly Gold now Diamond, formerly MSY, now LAX, formerly NW, now DL
Programs: Hyatt Plat, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, Delta Diamond/1MM
Originally Posted by izzik
Omg.. I used to sneak into Roscoes that way, too! Hehe. It was scary the first time but I got used to it.

*Big Chicks (Chicago)
*Buddha Lounge -closed- (LA)
*Web (NYC)
*The George (Dublin)

Yeah lucky for me they figured this thing out after I turned 21.....there was one dreadful night when my friend got yanked out of the club.....good think I had a test and was studying that night....

Ah Big Chicks......what a great ex-dyke bar.....us boyz took over.....and is the Closet still around....great for afterhours drinks.....
Old Jul 23, 2004, 2:48 am

Programs: BA/BD Gold/IC A/*Wood Gold - Certified BodyCombat and BodyPump Instructor
Originally Posted by DavidDTW
I tried going into the George and almost choked to death from the smoke. That place needs some ventilation!
Well you may want to give it a try again as they've banned smoking in all pubs in Ireland last year.
Old Jul 23, 2004, 3:55 am

Programs: United, USAir, Hyatt,
Originally Posted by rjque
I second that 'amen'.
Same here. I had a LOL at the comment during QAF when they stopped off at that bar and made the comparisons to Woody's.
Old Jul 23, 2004, 9:24 am
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by MapleLeaf
....usually left a bit tipsy - perhaps that is why I can't remember it.....

...but I was sooo drunk
(1 Tim 5:23 NRSV) "No longer drink only water, but take a little wine for the sake of your stomach..."

Old Jul 23, 2004, 10:35 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Exec Platinum, SPG Platinum / Ambassador / Lifetime Gold, Avis FIRST
My two cents:

Mad Myrna's, Anchorage, AK (you think I'm kidding .. it was awesome)
Old Jul 23, 2004, 1:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Diamond, B6 Mosaic, AS MPV Gold, UA Gold MM, Marriott Plat, SPG Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite
Originally Posted by Jumpgate
My two cents:

Mad Myrna's, Anchorage, AK (you think I'm kidding .. it was awesome)
I've heard several good things about this place -- will have to check it out when I'm up there two weeks from now.
Old Jul 23, 2004, 1:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Diamond, B6 Mosaic, AS MPV Gold, UA Gold MM, Marriott Plat, SPG Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite
As much as I've traveled for some reason I haven't been out to the bars in very many cities. Probably two many trips with the bosses with long hours and no real chance to venture out on my own. So most of my experience has been local. But here are my favorites:
  1. Harvey's in San Francisco, because it is the first gay bar I ever went to;
  2. Meteor in Houston -- currently the favorite place to meet for drinks for my circle of friends -- great cocktails, nice atmosphere, some really cute bartenders;
  3. South Beach in Houston -- when I'm in the mood to dance;
  4. The Roundup in Dallas -- not much into country bars, but had a fun time when I was there with a friend last year (and they have the most strategically placed mirrors I've ever seen in a men's room ).
Old Jul 23, 2004, 2:22 pm

Programs: Delta, Northwest, Hilton HHonors Diamond, Starwood Platinum
Thumbs up Bars with "character"

Originally Posted by bigjim
between

Hula's on Oahu and Bourbon Pub in New Orleans
In New Orleans, I prefer Café Lafitte in Exile and lament the departure of Jewel's Tavern . In Atlanta, Woof's (not as much "character" but nice little gay sports bar full of bears.)
Old Jul 23, 2004, 2:42 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Starwood Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Diamond, Delta Platinum
Depends on how you define character

Originally Posted by nipperSC
In New Orleans, I prefer Café Lafitte in Exile and lament the departure of Jewel's Tavern . In Atlanta, Woof's (not as much "character" but nice little gay sports bar full of bears.)
I have enjoyed Cafe' Lafitte in the past; however, the crowd and hustlers have gotten a little rough for my taste; plus, the activities going on on the pool table upstairs is a little over the top for me (especially with straight people videotaping guys having unprotected sex).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.