Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Favorite Gay Bar Anywhere?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 8, 2008, 7:08 am

Programs: Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by JonathanIT
I've been thinking about posting in this thread for a while now, but I've just received news that makes it very sad for me.

Although not an official "gay" club, every Thursday night at Mannequins on Pleasure Island is the unofficial gay night. Although I don't get there often enough, some of the best times I've ever had in a gay club have been on that rotating dance floor. Most of the patrons are Disney Cast members, which means they are super cute and super friendly.

Disney announced recently that Pleasure Island will close permanently by September 28, 2008. Very sad news indeed for this frequent WDW guest.

Very sad indeed !!!

I bet Disney has something on their agenda to replace the island. Anyone "in the know" on this?
Old Aug 17, 2008, 3:38 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

HK on 9th @ 39th Street is a club in the style of now-closed XL or Therapy. With maybe a little colder feel to it. Young, nice-looking crowd.

The Ritz on 46th also has that same Hell's Kitchen vibe/crowd going on. But there are more spaces to get lost in. It's two or three floors. Definitely worth a visit if you are in the area.
Old Aug 17, 2008, 8:45 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus, Skymiles, EleVAte founding member, SPG
Originally Posted by anonplz
The Ritz on 46th also has that same Hell's Kitchen vibe/crowd going on. But there are more spaces to get lost in. It's two or three floors. Definitely worth a visit if you are in the area.
^^

I think of myself as a Chelsea person, so I resisted going to The Ritz for a long time. When I finally went I had a great time. Be warned though... if you're there when the smallish platter of cheese/salami/crackers comes out, don't get too close. There looks like a few people who go every night and consider it dinner. They consciously make it hard for others to get close to 'their' food.
Old Aug 18, 2008, 7:54 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by wiredboy10003
^^

I think of myself as a Chelsea person, so I resisted going to The Ritz for a long time. When I finally went I had a great time. Be warned though... if you're there when the smallish platter of cheese/salami/crackers comes out, don't get too close. There looks like a few people who go every night and consider it dinner. They consciously make it hard for others to get close to 'their' food.
You're kidding? What cheap queens!

Old Aug 23, 2008, 7:59 pm

Programs: Worldperks Gold, Hilton HHonnors Plat
i'll weigh in

ATL Heretic
AUS Rain (OCH is nice too)
ORD Roscoes (charlies, and I miss Berlin)
IAH Southbeach (love the liquid nitrogen)
SEA Cuff (R place, neighbors)
HNL In Between (I do love Hula's but In Between is much friendlier)
YVR Numbers
LAX Mickeys (Mick Macks in Long Beach, Stone in Hollywood also fun)
JFK The Web (I keep hearing good things about the townhouse, but I worry about the dress code, how serious are they?)
YYZ Boots
MCO Parliament House (I saw sister sledge and the foam party was fun)
SFO Club Dragon ( Badlands, In Touch, Cafe and The Bar runners up)
PHX Charlies (BS west)
MSP Saloon
MSN Club 5
MKE LA Cage
DSM Garden
MCI Missie B
Old Aug 24, 2008, 9:27 am

Programs: Delta DM, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, MTA Rust, Hertz Five Star something or other
Have lived in NY for a couple years.. but just went to the Cock last night for the first time..and it was WILD. Totally naughty things going on...and the bouncers told everyone to put their wallets in their front pockets and if anyone tried stealing them, let them know. They kept making announcements which was weird... I guess there were some rogue gay pickpocketers last night!
Old Aug 25, 2008, 8:37 am
Original Poster

Apparently, Williamsburg's Metropolitan has a very popular Sunday Happy Hour going on - I've heard the crowd numbers in the hundreds. Only downside is it's in Williamsburg. Plus is it's right on the L. Another plus is it's a young crowd.
Old Aug 26, 2008, 2:04 pm

The Strong Center (Madrid) - Best in the World
The Bear Bar (Sitges)
The Tunnel (Montreal)
Old Aug 26, 2008, 3:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Most
Originally Posted by SOMA1K
My favorite is Linga Bar in Siem Reap Cambodia. Shameless promotion for my partner's gay brother who owns the place. Aside from that it really is a pretty cool place if you find yourself in this neck of the woods. His name is Martin. If you go, tell him Sid sent you.
That is so funny. I was there just a week ago on Wednesday.
Old Sep 22, 2008, 7:10 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP, AirTran Elite, Hertz Gold, Radisson Gold Elite
My list may be outdated because of late, I haven't been able to "club" much...

FLL - Alibi
BNA - Lucky's (closed)
CHI - Sidelines
MKE - La Cage
MSP - The Salon
MCO - P House (crowded, but always a good time)
HNL - Hulas
TPA - G Bar
PHX - Charlies (too bad Nu Towne went to the straights, i enjoyed the Sunday bear bash)
SFO - i forgot the name of it, will need to ask SFO1K
EYW - They're all good, but Aqua is one of the best ones to meet locals and have a genuine good time. Bourbon Street is fun at the back bar, and the drag shows at 801 are a must-see.

Last edited by HeleFlyer; Sep 22, 2008 at 7:16 pm
Old Sep 23, 2008, 3:49 am

Programs: UA Plat MM, AA Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, IHG Plat, Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by HeleFlyer
My list may be outdated because of late, I haven't been able to "club" much...

CHI - Sidelines

MSP - The Salon
Maybe you are just having a senior moment, but the correct names of these bars are:

CHI - Sidetrack
MSP - The Saloon

And I do agree with those selections.
Old Sep 23, 2008, 9:10 am

Programs: Alaska MVP, AirTran Elite, Hertz Gold, Radisson Gold Elite
doh! too many mojitos last night. And posting late at night.. i'm trying to get my circadium rhythm on Hawai'i time because they have me teaching a class (4 hours) once i land!

Sidelines is a mix up, that's here in Lauderdale, and NOT my favorite, unless you enjoy walking into a smoke-stack. And the Saloon - I still have nightmares about the restrooms, did they ever remove the mirrors above the stalls & urinals?
Old Sep 25, 2008, 12:35 pm

Location: Now:AUS (again); Previous: LGA/EWR (BLKYN, missing JFK), AUS, SAT
Programs: Current: UA-Silver, Former AA Plat, DL Silver
doh! too many mojitos last night. And posting late at night.. i'm trying to get my circadium rhythm on Hawai'i time because they have me teaching a class (4 hours) once i land!

Sidelines is a mix up, that's here in Lauderdale, and NOT my favorite, unless you enjoy walking into a smoke-stack. And the Saloon - I still have nightmares about the restrooms, did they ever remove the mirrors above the stalls & urinals?
They weren't there this summer when I was working in MSP.
Old Sep 25, 2008, 2:06 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
PHX - Charlies (too bad Nu Towne went to the straights, i enjoyed the Sunday bear bash)
You mean Nu Towne Saloon, next to Honey Bear's BBQ, across from the main post office on Van Buren? It has been years since I've been, but that place had sawdust on the floor, an old pickup truck inside (who knows what went on inside it), and the whole place smelled like urine... I actually just drove by it this morning on my way to downtown Phoenix, and it looks like the same dump it has been.

I heard Charlies had been downsized with the light rail construction in that area....but still, it wasn't that good to begin with.

A friend took me to Amsterdam for an after-work drink a year or so ago, and that place has some style. I'd vote that or maybe BS West (Scottsdale) as the best Phoenix-area bar.

One city/bars that really surprised me was Oklahoma City. There's a part of town with a bunch of gay bars all together with tons of nightlife. Everyone was very friendly too. Just an unexpected surprise.
Old Oct 4, 2008, 2:28 pm

Location: Now:AUS (again); Previous: LGA/EWR (BLKYN, missing JFK), AUS, SAT
Programs: Current: UA-Silver, Former AA Plat, DL Silver
Originally Posted by aztimm
You mean Nu Towne Saloon, next to Honey Bear's BBQ, across from the main post office on Van Buren? It has been years since I've been, but that place had sawdust on the floor, an old pickup truck inside (who knows what went on inside it), and the whole place smelled like urine... I actually just drove by it this morning on my way to downtown Phoenix, and it looks like the same dump it has been.

I heard Charlies had been downsized with the light rail construction in that area....but still, it wasn't that good to begin with.

A friend took me to Amsterdam for an after-work drink a year or so ago, and that place has some style. I'd vote that or maybe BS West (Scottsdale) as the best Phoenix-area bar.

One city/bars that really surprised me was Oklahoma City. There's a part of town with a bunch of gay bars all together with tons of nightlife. Everyone was very friendly too. Just an unexpected surprise.
Keep it quiet. The rest of Oklahoma can't find out or they'll all be forced down to Dallas or Austin.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.