Wiki Posts
Search

Favorite Gay Bar Anywhere?

Search this Thread

Old May 7, 2007, 10:03 pm

Programs: Frantic Hilton/Marriott runs
Originally Posted by flysas
The Boat Bar in Paradise area of Patong in Phuket Thailand
Are you serious? The bar with no seats inside and that very tired drag show at midnight? Then again there isn't a single decent gay bar in that island.

I miss hanging out in the James Dean bar when it was in the Night Bazaar 10 years ago... remember being trashed playing Jenga by a group of very sexy Thai trannies on a very slow Wed night and being "punished" with downing tequila shots with them that night. Those were the days. ... ^
Old May 15, 2007, 4:29 am

Programs: LH SEN, ME Cedar Miles Prestige
News from beirut

You HAVE to go to 717, Monot Street, Beirut.
Tuesdays is Karaoke night and you see dozens of sexy lebanese boys and men singing arabic pop. Great decor, ambiance and perfect drinks too.

Also good for freshening up your arabic reading skills

http://www.septdixsept.com/
Old May 21, 2007, 1:01 am
Suspended

Programs: British Airways Gold (oneWorld Emerald), Starwood Preferred Guest Platinum
Exclamation Pan Club Copenhagen closed several weeks ago

Originally Posted by lance
Just a few that come to mind that I like (not in any particular order):

Copenhagen PAN, Oscar
Originally Posted by Goldlust
I have been to all gay bars in Copenhagen and cannot really say that any of them is my favorite.

Pan if you want to dance. They require membership now to keep the straight men out. Quite a relief since I was at one occasion harassed by an 18-year-old. Apparently, he wanted to go the only gay disco in the city and still feel outraged if somebody looked at his .... Go figure.
As the heading says: Pan is history. BOIZ is probably the most mixed crowd now. They screen people in the door, so few heterosexuals. Dunkel is a new place, I did not like it, though. Dunkel means obscure or dark in Danish.

A new club open Saturdays is Tease. I have not been there. They allow all people with the right attitude regardless of sexual preference.
Old May 25, 2007, 11:48 am

Programs: AA GLD
Originally Posted by woodrow79
I think the best gay bar in the world is the Abbey i West Hollywood. If it is not crowded there its not going to be crowded anywhere in LA. Also fun during day time.
Whereas I would not waste my time going to the Abbey any more! If I'm meeting friends in WeHo, I'm more likely to choose Motherlode or Fubar.

My favorite in the world? Either Splash in NYC, 79 CXR in London or Tribe in Nashville. (each for different reasons)
Old Jun 7, 2007, 2:05 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AS
After searching for Seattle and not finding anything, thought I might add some local knowledge about the Emerald City! (All these bars / clubs are 21+ unless otherwise noted.)

Madison Pub: Great, friendly, low-key pub / sports bar. You get the feeling it's like Cheers when you walk through the door. Pool tournaments on Monday (9 ball) and Tuesday (8 ball); darts tournament on Wednesday (which I'm currently running!). Cheap drinks. No DJ, but a pretty fancy digital jukebox. The crowd is usually mid/late 20s to late 40s. Dress is quite casual. It's on the southend of Capitol Hill on Madison Street between 13th & 14th Ave. (Across the street from the Bank of America.)

R-Place: Three levels of fun! Top floor has hip hop dancing on the weekends while Karaoke and ... (Ameture Strip Show) dominate the weeknight. Second floor is great for talking with friends, playing pool (only one table), or throwing darts (3 dart boards on this floor, a few on the top floor). First floor tends to be just a place to talk with friends, cruise, or sit at the bar. There is a cover charge on the weekends of $5. Don't be surprised if you're cute that the bouncer chick Martine slaps your ... as you walk in! Attire can be anything, though most people go casual. It's on Pine Street at the corner of Boyleston in Capitol Hill.

Purr: This is a great S&M bar. You know, Standing and Modeling! Great drinks, friendly staff and patrons. Most people dress to impress. There's a DJ on busy nights (usually weekends) and great dinner specials during the week. The top floor holds fewer people and is difficult to get to on busy nights, but is much cozier. This bar is on 11th Ave between Pine and Pike Streets in Capitol Hill.

Neighbours: This is the quintesential gay dance club and seems to be the only one to survive through the years. It's 21+ until after last call (1:45am-ish). The music changes from dance to house to 80s retro depending on the day. (Thursdays is 80s night; definitely check it out! The crowd is mixed on 80s night, but mostly queer.) Cover charge used to be $5; not sure if it's gone up since my last visit. This bar is on Broadway between Pike and Pine Streets. The entrance to the bar changes a couple times a year and will either be on Broadway or the alley one street to the west.

There are other great places to go, and some not-so-great. It all depends on what you're looking for. Just ask if you have questions.
Old Jul 13, 2007, 11:10 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Hertz Gold
I miss XL in NYC it closed because they wanted to put condos there, how irratating! But one of my favorite new bar that I visited last fall was Vlada, really enjoyed the atmosphere and the drinks!
Old Aug 30, 2007, 10:32 am
2mg

What a great resource!

So pleased to have found this thread. I'm taking majah notes.
Old Sep 5, 2007, 12:16 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Mr. Black was closed, busted by the NYPD.

(New York City) New York City police officers raided Mr. Black a popular East Village gay club on the weekend, arresting 32 people.

Seventeen employees and 15 customers were charged with the sale, use and possession of drugs.

A police spokesperson said the raid followed an undercover operation which found widespread drug dealing and use at the basement dance club. The spokesperson said the drug use was going on in full view.

Police seized 60 bags and vials of cocaine and a quantity of ecstasy pills.

The bar has been a hit with celebrities. Among those to have frequented Mr. Black's in the past are Drew Barrymore and Marc Jacobs...

Following this weekend's raid NYPD said it is unlikely the club will reopen under the current owners and that the liquor license will likely be pulled.
http://www.365gay.com/Newscon07/09/090207bust.htm
Old Sep 12, 2007, 2:16 pm

Programs: BAEC Blue
Smile The Loft

Don't know if many people visit this part of England (North East), but The Loft is a small, but great place with very friendly people, close to everything, with a very good hotel just a short mince away
Old Sep 12, 2007, 2:29 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Hertz Gold
I know I read that bummer, though I hate drugs. It was a hot place
Old Sep 12, 2007, 2:31 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Originally Posted by anonplz
Mr. Black was closed, busted by the NYPD.

http://www.365gay.com/Newscon07/09/090207bust.htm

It seems like opening any new club in NYC (gay or straight slanted) is financial suicide. Still, many keep on trying like new owners in the old Crobar space (home to Alegria!). Sad, NYC is losing its gay nightlife dominance
Old Sep 13, 2007, 8:46 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Callum_1
Don't know if many people visit this part of England (North East), but The Loft is a small, but great place with very friendly people, close to everything, with a very good hotel just a short mince away
Oh, how con-veeeen-ient!
Old Sep 13, 2007, 9:25 am

Programs: CO Plat, NWA Gold, Delta, Hertz #1, PriorityClub, yadayada
Originally Posted by DCGuy
The Lure in NYC
I miss the Lure - it's gone.
Old Sep 13, 2007, 9:28 am

Programs: CO Plat, NWA Gold, Delta, Hertz #1, PriorityClub, yadayada
Originally Posted by DavidDTW
What a shame that the Lure closed. That was a fun place.

Picking just one is not easy, but the C***ring in Amsterdam usually makes for an interesting evening out. Though I have not been to AMS in almost three years.

(can I say the name, or is that word verboten?)
Anybody notice that the Lure's street was the location for Samantha's new apartment in Sex and the City? That must have been just after they closed.
Old Sep 13, 2007, 11:08 am

Programs: DL, WN, AA, IHG Diamond, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by markwtaylor
Anybody notice that the Lure's street was the location for Samantha's new apartment in Sex and the City? That must have been just after they closed.
Might have been just before the Lure closed. One episode showed Samantha walking through a crowd of leathermen to get to her doorway. You would have to rent the original HBO version to catch that scene, since so much good stuff from Sex and the City has been edited for the syndicated version.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.