Favorite Gay Bar Anywhere?

Old Mar 29, 2005, 9:01 am

Programs: AA AAdvantage, NWA Worldperks, SWA Rapid Rewards, Hilton HHonors, TripRewards
Roxy in NYC could also always be counted on for a good time, on Saturday nights, especially if you were looking to score with some "str8" guy and his girlfriend.

Good times.
Old Apr 1, 2005, 6:20 am

G's isn't stuffy at all -- Go In!!

However, do make sure you shower at the 19th Street Gym first!

There is always Rawhide on 8th Avenue if you are looking for the more rough and ready crowd!!

Originally Posted by Bam Bam
I would always pass G on the way home from 19th Street Gym, but the few times I went in there, it seemed kinda stuffy. Didn't usually go in after the gym though, because it didn't really look like the kind of crowd that wanted a sweaty muscleboy standing around LOL.

Is K-O-X still open in Montreal? Spent many nights walking there in the frigid weather, getting undressed there...dancing most of the night...then planning my exit just before the mob descends upon the coatroom again to suit up for the frigid nastiness outside!

And any John Blair party in NYC a few years ago was sure to keep me entertained most of the night.

Live in Los Angeles now where it's kinda boring.

Great forum, by the way. Newbie here.

Last edited by aeneastwin; Apr 1, 2005 at 6:24 am Reason: Incomplete Entry
Old Apr 2, 2005, 7:22 pm

Programs: AA AAdvantage, NWA Worldperks, SWA Rapid Rewards, Hilton HHonors, TripRewards
Nah, ae..., not really into that rough crowd...Just normal, unaffected guys who work out, and aren't caught up in the "scene"...

Haven't passed G in a while, because, now, when I'm in the city, I lift at Golds on 54th.

The fact that 19th Street is underground started to get to me.
Old Apr 4, 2005, 9:10 am

Then G's is what you are looking for

If you are looking for normal and unaffected, G's is what you are looking for. Also, it's quite a civilized lounge setting. I like the bartenders very much (they are muscular, good looking and down to earth).

Splash is OK but it seems a bit dark and depressing.

I am thinking about joining the 19th Street Gym but is its underground status claustrophobic? Just looking in from the outside, it appears to have a nice crowd.
Old Apr 4, 2005, 5:00 pm

Programs: Marriot Premier, UAL Premier
my favs

My favorites:

International:
Paris: The Cock (had an affair with a bartender there)
Stockholm: Patricia Gaykvĺll (it is a boat)
Berlin: SO36 in Kreutzberg, Rose's
London: the old Limelight when it was there, and (believe it or not) Brompton's, Heaven, The Village, others on Old Compton
Sydney: Stonewall Hotel
Cairnes: Turtle Cove (a resort)
Tokyo: Advocates, GB
Beijing: Destination (I'm from NYC, and this bar could easily have been here. It's really cool.)
Shanghai: Eddy's (cool woodcarvings and lighting, nice owners)

In the USA:
New York: Marie's Crisis (piano bar), The Duplex, Townhouse, XL, Barracuda
Chicago: The Gentry, Roscoes
Minneapolis: BOOM, Jet Set, Bolt
Boston: Napolean's (long-closed now)
Key West: Bourbon Street (hot go-go dancers), Kwest (hotter go-go dancers)

I didn't go out in Beunos Aires (was with someone). I am going to Cabo san Luca in a few weeks. Anyone know a good place to stay? Are there any gay hotels? I know The Rainbow Bar seems to be the only well-known bar there...

jack
Old Apr 4, 2005, 5:12 pm

Last time I was at Word-Up, there was a sign at the door that said "Word up is only for Japanese and Asians." (here is a photo i took: http://www.savedmemories.com/photo/1/CIMG1247.jpg )

Originally Posted by gemini573
I agree. Maybe at one time, Twist was the place to be. Certainly not these days. If you're in South Beach on a Sunday, Anthem at The Palace is amazing.
Here is my list of bars/discos I enjoy;

Buenos Aires. Palacio
Tokyo. Word Up Bar
Hong Kong. Propaganda and Rice Bar
Chicago. Sidetracks
Austin. Oil Can Harry's
Miami. Anthem (Sunday) and Laundry Bar
Brussels. Planete Chocolate (Sunday)
Munich. Funky Kitchen and Die Registreure (The Register)
Amsterdam. C***ring
London. G-A-Y
Old Apr 4, 2005, 8:05 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA: 2 MM
Originally Posted by jraNYC
My favorites:

In the USA:
New York: Marie's Crisis (piano bar), The Duplex, Townhouse, XL, Barracuda
Chicago: The Gentry, Roscoes
Minneapolis: BOOM, Jet Set, Bolt
Boston: Napolean's (long-closed now)
Key West: Bourbon Street (hot go-go dancers), Kwest (hotter go-go dancers)

I didn't go out in Beunos Aires (was with someone). I am going to Cabo san Luca in a few weeks. Anyone know a good place to stay? Are there any gay hotels? I know The Rainbow Bar seems to be the only well-known bar there...

jack
Interesting choices for Chicago. Gentry when you want to hang out with the sixty-somethings and Roscoe's when you want to hang out with the twenty-somethings?
Old Apr 4, 2005, 10:20 pm

Yeah -- I am a piano player, so I have that side of my personality (hence Gentry, Townhouse, Napolean's). I'm turning 30 next month, so i like the young ones too There's a new bar with a piano in london, but he stops at 11pm, so it isn't fun.

Originally Posted by ILuvParis
Interesting choices for Chicago. Gentry when you want to hang out with the sixty-somethings and Roscoe's when you want to hang out with the twenty-somethings?
Old Apr 5, 2005, 6:02 am
Moderator: GLBT Travelers & Hyatt Gold Passport

Yeah -- I am a piano player, so I have that side of my personality (hence Gentry, Townhouse, Napolean's). I'm turning 30 next month, so i like the young ones too There's a new bar with a piano in london, but he stops at 11pm, so it isn't fun.
Welcome to our little forum by the way jraNYC!!!
Old Apr 5, 2005, 2:24 pm

Originally Posted by peteropny
Welcome to our little forum by the way jraNYC!!!
thanks!
Old Apr 14, 2005, 8:25 pm

Originally Posted by aeneastwin
If you are looking for normal and unaffected, G's is what you are looking for. Also, it's quite a civilized lounge setting. I like the bartenders very much (they are muscular, good looking and down to earth).

Splash is OK but it seems a bit dark and depressing.

I am thinking about joining the 19th Street Gym but is its underground status claustrophobic? Just looking in from the outside, it appears to have a nice crowd.
Sorry, bro....Didn't see this while I was perusing the board earlier. 19th Street has some really good equipment. I've worked out there off and on for several years...starting in 1996 when it was under a different name. Then, it became a part of Dolphin Fitness for a while. Then Tommy Marinelli bought it, and turned it into an independent gym named 19th Street.

Crowd is a good mix. Everybody pretty much minds their own business. But it IS underground, and, at least to me, could get kind of depressing. Not really claustrophobic because it's a good space, but, again, it is underground...no windows...no natural light. I lifted there from '98 until 2000, but mainly because they gave me a deal I couldn't refuse.
Old Apr 17, 2005, 5:32 pm

Programs: TSA/INS/FBI Platinum (stopped last 12 of 13 int'l returns - the computer broke once)
Berlin: SO36 in Kreutzberg, Rose's
bluesincenew and I went to SO36 when we were there in May 2004 and didn't find it all that interesting. Something had been going on earlier in the evening and their normal opening time was pushed back an hour or so later into the evening. All the patrons were just milling about on the street.

I know it's the old East Berlin, but it just didn't feel like a gay club, and we weren't all that enthralled by it.
Old Apr 17, 2005, 8:35 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA: 2 MM
Originally Posted by StSebastian
bluesincenew and I went to SO36 when we were there in May 2004 and didn't find it all that interesting. Something had been going on earlier in the evening and their normal opening time was pushed back an hour or so later into the evening. All the patrons were just milling about on the street.

I know it's the old East Berlin, but it just didn't feel like a gay club, and we weren't all that enthralled by it.
Maybe he should have tried that little trick he did in Palm Springs to get things going.
Old Apr 20, 2005, 8:53 am

Programs: UA 1K, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, NYC MTA Gold, AA EXP
threapy in NYC. Especially during the week days. This bar is everything Splash isn't==i.e. don't have to deal with B&T crowd and tourists.
Old Apr 21, 2005, 7:45 am

Programs: AA Gold, SPG Gold, HH Gold
Best bar

Round Up in Dallas is pretty good. Chicago Eagle and Sidetracks.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.