Wiki Posts
Search

"Honeymoon" Advice :)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 23, 2004, 6:22 pm
Original Poster

"Honeymoon" Advice :)

Help!

Thinking ahead... me and my man (see: picture) are now starting to plan our "honeymoon" ...and of course want to solicit opinions from FTers!

We're on a limited budget (read: struggling college students) but want to do something really special.

Here's some ideas we had:
  • Puerto Vallarta
  • Amsterdam
  • Costa Rica

Here's what we're looking for:
  • gay-friendly, but not "gay" places
  • no eye-candy necessary (ok..so i'm the jealous type)
  • somewhere outside of the US
  • think: relaxing

We found 1-2 week packages to the above mentioned places at decent hotels for < $1250 (length depending on location). Airfare from ALB, NYC, BOS, PHL (in order of preference)

We're looking at late August-early October...depending on the best time to visit wherever we happen to go.

We aren't worried about flying first...just getting there works I'm not even worried about mileage credit as I'd rather the once-in-a-lifetime trip in coach than the regular trip in domestic first getting my usual miles.

So let's hear some comments/suggestions!!!

Thanks for your help (in advance!)

Safe Travels,
Chris
Old Feb 23, 2004, 6:50 pm

Of your three suggestions, I find Amsterdam the least "romantic." I found the city dirty and hectic. I do know a gay couple who had a wonderful, romantic vacation to Costa Rica; they had no trouble with the natives and had lots of quiet time.

Congratulations and enjoy
Old Feb 23, 2004, 7:52 pm

I agree AMS is kinda dirty at times, dog business on the sidewalks turned me off. Of course, a trip to a I-need-to-forget cafe fixes that problem. However AMS also is Europe and it feels like Europe. You may find a certain feel of "being away from the normal" here. Plus shopping is really, really fantastic. Find a small cafe that imports croissants from France for breakfast and you will be in heaven.

PVR will have a lot of Americans in it - it may not feel so exotic to you when you pass the Denny's or Appleby's on the way from the airport and they take American currency almost everywhere (and almost insist on it). Half the fun of going somewhere exotic is coming back with a handful of coins you can't use.

Never been to Costa Rica, can't comment.

How about Canada? Pop up to Montreal, half French, half English, tons of history, warm in the summer and you can get lost in the small streets that just mimic Europe. Flights and hotels are cheap.

Craig

[This message has been edited by craigstar (edited Feb 23, 2004).]
Old Feb 23, 2004, 8:10 pm

Montreal may well be fun, but I like to think that there's plenty of eye-candy here and I think that was NOT a pre-requisite! I'm on my way to Costa Rica soon based on rants form several friends. Start checking out Manuel Antonio- it's pretty much the place to go, I think. I'll let you know when I get back.

J
Old Feb 23, 2004, 8:34 pm
Original Poster

Ok. So Amsterdam is out. He's Dutch - so that's why that was a possibility.

I don't know what his REAL reason for going there is...

Alright.. Costa Rica is looking like the way to go early off.

...Still looking for more suggestions

Thanks,
Chris
Old Feb 24, 2004, 6:20 am

Programs: Skyhigh Airlines Platinum for Life
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by chrislacey:

Thinking ahead... me and my man (see: picture)
</font>
Awwww, how cute.
Old Feb 24, 2004, 6:37 am
Original Poster

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by jdiduch:
Montreal may well be fun, but I like to think that there's plenty of eye-candy here and I think that was NOT a pre-requisite! I'm on my way to Costa Rica soon based on rants form several friends. Start checking out Manuel Antonio- it's pretty much the place to go, I think. I'll let you know when I get back.

J
</font>
Montreal sounds like it has potential - but that's so close to us (a short drive up I-87). This would put a dent in costs, but I think I'd rather go someplace more "exotic"

Thanks,
Chris
Old Feb 24, 2004, 6:55 am
Flyertalk Evangelist and Moderator: Coupon Connection and Travel Products

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum Elite, Hyatt Discoverist, Radisson Elite
Have you thought about a cruise?

I am not talking about one of the gay ones... but just a normal cruise.

In your timeframe, you can oftentimes find some fantastic deals....

We did an early anniversary cruise to Alaska on Princess Cruise Lines (Vancouver to Seward-Anchorage) a few years ago and got a buy one for $550 get one free cruise...

It was very gay friendly... no questions whatsoever about putting our twin beds together... they did it for us... it was very relaxing and we enjoyed ourselves.

There are also some websites where you can literally get the cruises for free if you have flexibility to travel within a two week timeframe.

Just a thought.... and congrats!

William
Old Feb 24, 2004, 6:59 am
Original Poster

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by wharvey:
Have you thought about a cruise?

I am not talking about one of the gay ones... but just a normal cruise.

In your timeframe, you can oftentimes find some fantastic deals....

We did an early anniversary cruise to Alaska on Princess Cruise Lines (Vancouver to Seward-Anchorage) a few years ago and got a buy one for $550 get one free cruise...

It was very gay friendly... no questions whatsoever about putting our twin beds together... they did it for us... it was very relaxing and we enjoyed ourselves.

There are also some websites where you can literally get the cruises for free if you have flexibility to travel within a two week timeframe.

Just a thought.... and congrats!

William
</font>
William,

We just did a Carnival Cruise with a bunch of friendly people in October. Carnival was perfect for us because we went with a group and planned on partying the entire trip (which we did of course!)

We did Eastern Carib. -- and next I want to do Southern so I can see Barbados again

I'd be interested in hearing which cruise lines everyone would suggest (even itineraries if you have a favorite).

Also - I usually book cruises @ http://www.cruiseleaders.net -- Let me know if I should be looking somewhere else (and we can travel on short notice).

Thanks for the help!
-Chris
Old Feb 24, 2004, 9:24 am

Our honeymoon was in Spain & Portugal. There are many gay-friendly places in both areas, and the weather will be warm. We were in Madrid, Sitges, & Ibiza in Spain, and Lisbon & Porto in Portugal. Everywhere we went had a different romantic element. The cost of getting around was the biggest expense, but there are several low-fare carriers in Europe now that go from London to the rest of Europe. One other option I would consider for a 2nd honeymoon would be Italy.
Old Feb 24, 2004, 10:07 am

Location: PPSP. Yeah, I'm the bartender at that fancy 5-Star that forgot you said no salt on your freakin' frozen margarita. Listen up people! NO FROZEN DRINKS!
First, congratulations on your wedding plans!

Second I´m in Sitges, Spain, ending my weekend at the Si-ReDo (see the community forum for details) and am this moment typing as fast as I can at 1€ per 15 minutes!

This place is fabulous. Small, very romantic and just a short train ride from one of the world´s greatest cities, Barcelona. There is a small gay nightlife here of which the locals are very tolerant. Not to mention all of the adorable Catalon str8 guys hugging each other.

You can find great fares to LON then easyjet.com it out to BCN really cheap. The train from the airport was 2.4€! My room was only 39€/night + only 1% tax and that was (is ) during Carnaval. I have a big double bed and a balcony on the ocean. The place isn´t fancy but is a great euro-style older hotel and nice and clean.

BTW, we watched the Carnaval from my balcony... rating the floats, costumes and dancers and yelling to the near-naked str8 boyz as they smooched other and the real girls. What a location!

------------------
Just trying to keep up with the gals in the trailer park next door.
Old Feb 24, 2004, 11:29 am
Original Poster

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by SFFlyman:
Our honeymoon was in Spain & Portugal. There are many gay-friendly places in both areas, and the weather will be warm. We were in Madrid, Sitges, & Ibiza in Spain, and Lisbon & Porto in Portugal. Everywhere we went had a different romantic element. The cost of getting around was the biggest expense, but there are several low-fare carriers in Europe now that go from London to the rest of Europe. One other option I would consider for a 2nd honeymoon would be Italy. </font>
Looked into Spain, but the other 1/2 didn't seem to interested. After reading GoodKarmaGuy's post, the other 1/2 got a little more excited!

As far as Italy goes... that definitely is an option and I sorta passed it entirely (even though I am 1/2 Italian).

I will research both Italy & Spain later today and tomorrow morning.

This is so much fun!

Thanks for the advice!

-Chris

[This message has been edited by chrislacey (edited Feb 24, 2004).]
Old Feb 24, 2004, 1:51 pm
Suspended

I'd think twice before going to Puerto Vallarta in your timeframe. September is the peak of the rainy season there, and it is very hot/humid between downbursts.

Otherwise PV meets all your criteria.
Old Feb 24, 2004, 4:40 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

It's hurricane/rainy season for PVR and possibly SJO, so be careful.

Montreal is nice around mid-Sept thru October. Vancouver is more scenic than Montreal and has great weather in that timeframe as well.

If you're planning to go for 1-2 weeks, then I'd say most of Western Europe is too expensive for your budget (mostly due to Euro -Dollar exchange rates). I've heard that Scandinavia is nice around September, though. Try looking at non-EU destinations (Budapest, etc).

[This message has been edited by izzik (edited Feb 24, 2004).]
Old Feb 24, 2004, 11:36 pm

It's warm, relaxing, and CHEAP!

Last edited by ricepaddy2; Aug 30, 2006 at 1:43 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.