Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > GLBT Travelers
Reload this Page >

"Romance Package" at Hotels

Old Jan 22, 2004, 12:07 am
Original Poster

Programs: Non-status paid F/J (best value for $$$)

Have any of you gay folks ever tried to book the "Romance Package" available at some luxury hotels?

If so, how were you treated by the hotel staff upon arrival? Tell me about your experiences.

Also, has it ever happened to you that when checking into the hotel, the printed forms say "Mr & Mrs Gay Flyertalker" when in fact you had made reservations for a "double occupancy" room with only one name (Gay Flyertalker)?

Would making the reservation as "Dr & Dr Gay Flyertalker" help?

[This message has been edited by daniellam (edited Jan 22, 2004).]
Old Jan 22, 2004, 1:30 pm

Programs: BA GLD
I don't think it's an issue. Especially if you're talking about luxury properties in major cities. The staff pride themselves on a high level of service and being discreet. Most hotel employees have seen it all! And the travel industry in general has many, many GLBT employees. Is there a particular hotel or city you're thinking of?

------------------
sftrvlr
Old Jan 22, 2004, 5:49 pm

Reminds me of a time, a friend and I were checking into the Turtle Bay Hilton (Oahu.)

The young Mormon res clerk, trying to be helpful -
"Sir, I've given you two double beds so that the two of you won't have to sleep together.

"Well. I ordered the King and would still want it. Try it you might like it."

Flummoxed was he
Old Jan 22, 2004, 6:16 pm

Programs: AA Platinum
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by GWPAO:
Reminds me of a time, a friend and I were checking into the Turtle Bay Hilton (Oahu.)

The young Mormon res clerk, trying to be helpful -
"Sir, I've given you two double beds so that the two of you won't have to sleep together.

"Well. I ordered the King and would still want it. Try it you might like it."

Flummoxed was he
</font>

Now that is funny! If it were some of my friends it would have turned into another story...
Old Jan 23, 2004, 2:49 pm
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb
My bf and I, in general, never had any issues with checking in with romance packages or requesting 1 king size bed for 2 of us. Although we did have a concierge in Sonoma made a restuarant reservation under "Mr. and Mrs. PTahCha" - I just chalked it up to her making an assumption and thus "making an ... out of U and ME."

Back to the topic - I know W Chicago Lakeshore had a valentine's day package later year targeted at gay folks - I wonder if they are going to do it again this year or even expand the promo at additional hotels?
Old Jan 23, 2004, 10:06 pm

Location: PPSP. Yeah, I'm the bartender at that fancy 5-Star that forgot you said no salt on your freakin' frozen margarita. Listen up people! NO FROZEN DRINKS!
When I was a res mgr at a hotel I ENCOURAGED our clerks to offer "romance" packages. More revenue for the hotel and more fun for the guests.

If a lady and her mom were coming for a visit, for example, who wouldn't want an upgraded location, a bottle of champagne and complimentary breakfast!?

Now I work in a Ritz-Carlton, and I know that, without a doubt, big city high-end hotels love the gay guests. (We spend more!) But...ummmm.. I would be careful of rural areas/other cultures. Otherwise, ask for any specials... including the "honeymoon" one.

------------------
Just trying to keep up with the gals in the trailer park next door.
Old Jan 27, 2004, 12:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The only thing I don't like about romance packages or any other kind of guest package is when there aren't options, but rather a program, with two tracks - the "his" and the "her" tracks. So, I'm making this up, but it will be something like, "manicure for the lady and a shave for the man."

I don't have any problem with manicures, but I would feel silly as a gay couple checking in under that package.

d
Old Jan 27, 2004, 1:05 pm

Programs: DL DM, 1MM AA PLT 2MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, and...Smiles Diamante
I actually get a kick out of the "Welcome Mr. and Mrs. Snorkmaster" notes in the room -- it usually provides fodder for a few lame jokes during the trip...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.