Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > GLBT Travelers
Reload this Page >

Keywest vs. Hawaii suggestions

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 19, 2022, 11:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,

I want to go someplace warm in March and was thinking of either Hawaii or Keywest.

Any suggestions on Keywest places to stay? I haven't been there since 2003 and loved Big Ruby's but know that hasn't been gay for years. Would like a place similar to that which is gay but not super cruisy like a bathhouse.

Or thinking of Hawaii but have never been. Are there any gay places to stay there or what area should I look it. Will probably be flying into HNL but open as to city I stay in. Again looking for something along the lines of Big Ruby or the Grand in Lauderdale or if it's a main stream hotel the best area to stay in.
Old Feb 18, 2022, 11:14 pm
Original Member

We absolutely loved Island House in EYW. Stayed there for the first time right after New Years. Very comparable in vibe to the Grand/Pineapple Pointe/Cabanas in FLL, more luxurious than Cabanas. The videos on their website are amazingly evocative, well done and hit the target demographics perfectly. Cant recommend it highly enough. Expensive, but worth it.

We stayed at a gay B&B out on the Big Island/Hilo and enjoyed it, but it doesn't appear they're still in business.
Old Feb 20, 2022, 6:54 am

Programs: Delta Plat & Million Miler
So

As you probably know, Hawaii is less of a gay "party" place than Key West. However, it is very gay-friendly everywhere and so beautiful and relaxing. If you choose Hawaii, book soon because with Covid rates down, places and booking up quickly.

On the Big Island of Hawaii there is the Gay Hawaii Guest House. https://www.hawaiilalala.com/
Also on the Big Island is a B&B and working avocado farm run by a gay couple from Australia: https://www.kaneplantationhawaii.com/AboutUs.html

Of couse, at Honolulu, Waikiki Beach is a popular destination.
Moana Surfrider is a good choice for a larger resort.. Also, Queen Kapiolani Hotel is a few minutes walk from Queen's beach.

Have not been there so can't really comment on quality, etc.

Enjoy!
jamesteroh likes this.
Old Feb 20, 2022, 11:38 am

Programs: Delta, Hertz, Hilton, Marriott
Have you considered Palm Springs?

Average highs can be in the 80's in March. They have a whole range of places to stay from sleazy to classy, plus some great restaurants.

We've been to Hawaii quite a bit and never really found anywhere to have that gay vibe like in Key West or Palm Springs.

Last edited by tmorse6570; Feb 20, 2022 at 11:46 am
Old Feb 21, 2022, 3:16 pm

Programs: Delta Plat & Million Miler
Palm Springs

Originally Posted by tmorse6570
Have you considered Palm Springs?

Average highs can be in the 80's in March. They have a whole range of places to stay from sleazy to classy, plus some great restaurants.

We've been to Hawaii quite a bit and never really found anywhere to have that gay vibe like in Key West or Palm Springs.

Palm Springs is another great option. No beach but lots of sun and fun and sand.
Old Feb 21, 2022, 7:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jamiel
We absolutely loved Island House in EYW.
Island House is amazing but it’s VERY cruisy and is a borderline bath house, lol.
For something a little tamer I’d recommend Equator (clothing optional, male-only but not particularly cruisy) or Alexander House (mixed gender but probably mostly gay men).

Palm Springs is also a great option. Most of the gay/CO resorts are probably at least a little cruisy, but there are plenty of regular hotels.
Old Mar 3, 2022, 9:04 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium -> United Silver
If you visit Hawaii, Hula's Saturday catamaran ride is a blast with ~40 LGBT folks on the boat.
gretchendz likes this.
Old Mar 6, 2022, 8:10 pm

Programs: Free Agent, Any Status is Accidental
Originally Posted by DallasEsq
If you visit Hawaii, Hula's Saturday catamaran ride is a blast with ~40 LGBT folks on the boat.
I'll be on the boat next Saturday in case @OP has made the right choice for their March getaway!
gretchendz likes this.
Old Mar 7, 2022, 11:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Originally Posted by UAalltheway
I'll be on the boat next Saturday in case @OP has made the right choice for their March getaway!
I decided on HNL butn unfortunately don't land until 5 p.m. Saturday Wish I would have known about the boat and I would have tried to have arrived a day earlier. I'm planning on check out the bar though as well as the gay Karokee bar nearby.

I'll be at the Hawaiin village hilton resort
gretchendz likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.