Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > GLBT Travelers
Reload this Page >

Flyertalk Gayla 2020: The San Francisco Gay High Holy Holidays

Old Dec 2, 19, 10:07 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA2MM LIFETIME PLT, Marriott Plat

It's been a while since many of us have met up for a Gayla. So I'm starting the ball(s) rolling.

In San Francisco we have two Gay High Holy Holidays: Dore Alley and Folsom Street Fair. Dore tends to be smaller and the participants are mostly gay men. Folsom is a fetish fair and includes gays, lesbians, and straights. Folsom definitely gets more "lookie-loos" who aren't wearing any "party dresses".

I usually go to both with a group of friends and would be happy to organize some fun events around each of the holidays.

TENTATIVE SCHEDULE OF EVENTS:

Up You Alley - "Dore Alley" - July 24-26, 2020
https://www.folsomstreetevents.org/up-your-alley/

Friday, July 24:
8:00pm - Flyertalk Gayla Evening Mixer in The Castro. We can probably hold a drinks and appetizers event for people to meet and mingle.
10:00pm - Castro Pub Crawl - Experience the best of The Castro as we sample some local delights.

Saturday, July 25:
2:30pm - Mr. S Leather Beer Party: The worlds largest gay department store becomes the hot spot on the Saturday before Dore. They serve beer on their outdoor patio while people shop and do things that would make your mom blush inside the store. It's great fun. And you can pick up any last minute party dress accessories while you're there.
5:00pm - SF Eagle Pre-Dore Party: At some point we will walk a few block down to the DNA Lounge to grab a slice of pizza and then end up at the famous SF Eagle. Everyone is in a festive mood and it's a great place to warm up your harness before Sunday.
Evening - The main option that night is the Bay of Pigs Dance Party with huge play space! Advanced tickets required. For the past few years, we haven’t gone to the Bay of Pigs. Instead we just stay at the Eagle until we poop out and Uber home. The next day is a long day so some sleep helps!

Sunday, July 26
1:00pm - THE BIG EVENT - Up Your Alley Fair. It’s the reason you’ve come to San Francisco. Enjoy the music, the men, the food, strutting your stuff, enjoying the the sights… There is nothing like Dore Alley!! As the day moves on we might end up back at the Eagle or inside the Powerhouse. We’re in God’s hands at that point.

Then if you want to make a longer vacation out of it, Lazy Bear Weekend is the next weekend up in the Russian River.

Lazy Bear Weekend - July 31 - August 3, 2020
https://www.lazybearweek.org/

Friday, July 31 - Many out of towners will stay until the weekend after Dore to enjoy a bears in the forest weekend about 1.5 hours north of SF in Guerneville.
8:00pm - We arrive on Friday and we can met up for drinks and appetizers.
10:00pm - Friday Night Dance Party - One night there will be an underwear party and the other night will be “gear”. But really wear what you want at any time! You will see the gambit. It’s hot, sweaty fun.
12:00am - Bonfire and the “Giving” Tree - We will end the evening with a big bonfire. Off to the side, is the infamous “Giving” Tree where you can take a walk in the dark and see what you might bump into as you follow the crowd and circle the tree.

Saturday, August 1 -
12:00pm - The Woods Pool Party - The highlight for me of this weekend is the pool party at the Woods. It’s clothing optional and the crowd is there for fun.
10:00pm - Saturday Night Dance Party - The River Theater is once again Guerneville’s hotspot for some bear-y drinking and dancing. Even if you’re aren’t really a dancer, you might be tempted to join in on the fun.
12:00am - Bonfire and the “Giving” Tree - By this time, you might be ready for some more Giving Tree fun. Yes, the bonfire is nice too but did you really come for the bonfire?!?

Sunday, August 2 -
12:00pm - Pool Parties - The LB organizers will often have a big pool party but we often just prefer it a little quieter and return to The Woods.
10:00pm - Bonfire and the “Giving” Tree - By Sunday, you’ll be a pro at walking around a tree in pitch black darkness. Hilarity ensues.

Then in September we do it all again!

Folsom Street Fair - Sept 27 - 29, 2020
https://www.folsomstreetevents.org/folsom-street-fair/

The schedule for Folsom is very similar to Dore. The big party on Saturday night is called Millenium instead of Bay of Pigs. Otherwise it’s very similar. But more people.

So that’s what’s on offer. It’s a nice crowd of all ages but tends to be a little older and a little more on the bear side. Google “Dore Alley” and “Folsom Street Fair” for lots of pictures.

Gay High Holy Party Dress Ideas:
You can wear whatever you’d like. For my low-impact participants, wear jeans and a t-shirt. At some point you will take off your shirt even though you normally don’t do that. For medium impact participants, your party dress might include any of the following: harness, jockstrap, sports shorts, knee pads, boots, Nasty Pig hat… Finally for my high impact participants, you might decide to go the Full Monty and let the spirit of San Francisco embrace your naked body.

SHARE YOUR TESTIMONIALS:
For people that have been to either event in the past, please share your thoughts and impressions. Include what you wore as a teaser!

We had 50 people fly in from around the world for the Oktoberfest 2009 Flyertalk Gayla that I organized. Let’s see if we can break that record for Dore or Folsom.

Travel agents are standing by.
Zorak and peteropny like this.
Old Dec 2, 19, 5:20 pm

Programs: Airline free agent; Starwood Platinum; Hyatt Diamond
Nice! Thanks for taking the initiative and organizing this. Iíll definitely try to make it to one or both!
olafman likes this.
Old Dec 3, 19, 1:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold
I'm up for it if I go. I'm going to try to make it to at least one of those events this year
olafman likes this.
Old Dec 12, 19, 2:30 pm

Programs: MARRIOTT TITANIUM / HILTON GOLD / UA SILVER / AMEX PLAT
Sounds interesting. I have never seen the kinkier side of S.F.
olafman likes this.
Old Dec 13, 19, 6:12 am

I've been to the Folsom Street Fair many times and will probably be there again this next year. It's a fun afternoon and the end of September is usually the best weather that San Francisco has to offer.
olafman likes this.
Old Dec 13, 19, 8:59 pm
Moderator: GLBT Travelers & Hyatt Gold Passport

Tentatively on our schedule
olafman and TravelerMSY like this.
Old Dec 15, 19, 2:40 pm

Programs: DL SM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Radisson Gold; Hyatt Discoverist
Awesome! I already have plans to be in town July 23 - 27, with my stay split between the JW Marriott and the Yotel. Looking forward to it!
olafman likes this.
Old Dec 22, 19, 8:58 pm
Used to be 'Travelergcp'

Programs: AA Gold, UA Silver, Marriott Plat
I’m almost always in the city around Dore Alley, and will try to make it, It’s up to my gracious SF hostess putting me up.
olafman likes this.
Old Mar 22, 20, 9:02 pm

Programs: MARRIOTT TITANIUM / HILTON GOLD / UA SILVER / AMEX PLAT
I assume with all that is going out our indulgences are cancelled?
Old Mar 23, 20, 6:57 am

Programs: DL SM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Radisson Gold; Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by OUTraveling View Post
I assume with all that is going out our indulgences are cancelled?
I think none of us know what July will bring.
Old Mar 23, 20, 11:18 am

Programs: AA LT Gold
Originally Posted by Adam1222 View Post
I think none of us know what July will bring.
Regardless, there's even talks of cancelling the Olympics.
I think it would be prudent and not surprising that Dore Alley gets cancelled this year.
I think it would be responsible to cancel this event as well.

There is always next year.
Old Mar 23, 20, 11:51 am

Originally Posted by carlosdca View Post
Regardless, there's even talks of cancelling the Olympics.
I think it would be prudent and not surprising that Dore Alley gets cancelled this year.
I think it would be responsible to cancel this event as well.

There is always next year.
We will see, but the issue with the Olympics is actually quite different. None of the qualifying events can happen and athletes are unable to train...which happens now.
I don't think many folks are missing their Dore Alley training and qualifying events.
Old Mar 23, 20, 2:07 pm

We will see, but the issue with the Olympics is actually quite different. None of the qualifying events can happen and athletes are unable to train...which happens now.
I don't think many folks are missing their Dore Alley training and qualifying events.
I think you are underestimating the near and long term effects of this global crisis.

No "we'll see". I already see that this is major and life will change forever.
Not that we will stay prisoners in our home forever, but things will not be the same.
Just like 9/11 change the airline industry forever. This affects every single aspect of life.

We'll get over this. Yes.

But under any lens, July is TOO soon. Even more so for the type of gathering that Dore Alley is, unfortunately.

But feel free to opine otherwise.
Safe stay-at-home everybody!
Old Mar 23, 20, 8:36 pm

Originally Posted by carlosdca View Post
I think you are underestimating the near and long term effects of this global crisis.

No "we'll see". I already see that this is major and life will change forever.
Not that we will stay prisoners in our home forever, but things will not be the same.
Just like 9/11 change the airline industry forever. This affects every single aspect of life.

We'll get over this. Yes.

But under any lens, July is TOO soon. Even more so for the type of gathering that Dore Alley is, unfortunately.

But feel free to opine otherwise.
Safe stay-at-home everybody!
Please don't tell me not to cope by focusing one day at at a time. There is nothing irresponsible about me refusing to make predictions about what may or may not be appropriate four months from now. Notice I didn't say "it will be fine." I simply said there's no need to make definitive statements now, and that the Olympics is an entirely different situation.
Posts like yours are honestly not helpful. I am quite aware of the impacts of the situation and am taking all responsible measures and don't need your holier-than-thou moralizing.
Stay safe at home without being a **** to other people. Have some empathy. No "you are not taking this seriously enough because you will not definitively opine on the situation four months ago."

​​​​
​​​​​

Last edited by Adam1222; Mar 23, 20 at 9:36 pm
Old Mar 25, 20, 12:02 pm

...Posts like yours are honestly not helpful
...don't need your holier-than-thou moralizing...
Stay safe at home without being a **** to other people. Have some empathy
Took note of your insults and/or personal criticism to me. Thanks.

IMO, whatever happens, July seems too soon to me. Just out of an abundance of caution, if it was up to me, I would cancel Dore this year. And next year it can come back with a vengeance and be fabulous.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: