Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Who’s still around?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 5, 2022, 2:30 pm

Programs: A shadow of my former self
Smile

I'm still here too. Moved from WAS to SYR in 2004, and then to NYC in 2013 when I got divorced. Jumped from US to CO and then got absorbed into UA. Very happy with them from EWR. Forced myself to do some travel in 2021, all leisure: SYR, DCA, RDU, LAX, PUJ... Just got back from a week in CDG. Nice to see some familiar names!

David
Old Jan 12, 2022, 1:07 am

Location: formerly Gold now Diamond, formerly MSY, now LAX, formerly NW, now DL
Programs: Hyatt Plat, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, Delta Diamond/1MM
Yeah, I did a few trips last year for fun, a KEF week with a friend touring including the volcano (found out via FB that 2 different gay friends were also there!); a AMS-BRU-CDG 2 weeker visiting friends and restocking on Dutch farmers' cheese, Belgian chocolates and some French spirits; and a Portugal trip meeting some cool peeps too.
Old Jan 13, 2022, 8:35 am
Flyertalk Evangelist and Moderator: Coupon Connection and Travel Products

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum Elite, Hyatt Discoverist, Radisson Elite
I am still here! At least, I think so!
NOLAnwGOLD likes this.
Old Jan 15, 2022, 11:24 am

Programs: DL PlatMM, BA and Alaska Emerald, HHonors DIA, Accor, Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat Amb, UA Silver, AA
October 2020 rented a car and drove from MSP to STL down the Mississippi River over about 10 days, it was great.
December 2020 we rented a car and drove MSP-EYW (!) which put 4600 miles on the Hertz Infiniti QX60. Presidents' Circle was a great idea that trip. Spent 3 nights in Miami Beach at Kimpton Surfcomber, then 4 nights at Kimpton Ella's Cottages in EYW, then 6 nights at Hilton Bakers Cay in Key Largo. SUUUUUCH a great trip. Total 18 nights away from home.
April 2021 flew (first flight, fully vaxxed!) to PHX and spent 12 nights in Arizona-- including a few nights inside Grand Canyon park; 5 nights in Flagstaff and did day trips to Sedona, Petrified Forest Nat'l Park, then down to Tucson for a week. Fantastic trip.
July 2021 spent 5 nights in Big Island and 4 nights Oahu-- super trip, tons of activities. LOVED the Big Island! Still love Oahu (seems almost undiscovered outside of Waikiki, for example the Leeward Coast (west coast) is absolutely gorgeous and empty and less than an hour from our hotel in Waikiki.
Next trip is with mom to.... yup, the Redneck Riviera (Orange Beach, Alabama!) where she and my late dad rented a condo on the beach every February since the late 80s. She still does it, after a break in 2021. Can't wait! Southern Buffets, outlet malls, and lots of being called "honey".
Bought MSP CUN for $288 last week nonstop on DL for Spring Break, but never been to CUN and worried it might not be for me. Any recommendations outside of CUN within driving distance that is more "Mexican" instead of just lots of US tourists? The tickets are of course changeable to other destinations.
Hope to be back on an intercontinental flight soon!
Old Jan 15, 2022, 11:41 am

Programs: HH Diamond
The entire peninsula is going to be lots of tourists. I spent New Years in Isla Mujeres at a very nice all inclusive and I really enjoyed myself and the slower smaller scale of that island.

One year, we rented a house north of Tulum and had a car and drove early morning to Chichen Itza and got there when it opened. That was really interesting. But, my subsequent trips to Cancun have involved getting transportation to the hotel zone and enjoying some sun and good food. I spent a week at the Marriott one spring break and enjoyed myself.

The appeal to me is to not have to get a car. Isla Mujeres is nice because the entire island is so pedestrian friendly. But it’s all tourism. Nothing wrong with that. We had a great stay at Privileges Aluxes on the north end of the island. It was my first stay at an all inclusive but it was a small property so it was really well done. We arranged transportation with the hotel and they picked us up at CUN, got us to the ferry and met us on the island and took us the 3/4 mile to the hotel. On the way back, it was a private yacht that took us back to the mainland. The biggest hassle was customs at CUN.

If you want authentic Mexico, you won’t find much in Quintana Roo. Tulum is simply Brooklyn south, but the ruins of Tulum, Coba, and Chichen Itza are spectacular. And the beaches in March are just wonderful anywhere on the Riviera Maya.
kyushuman likes this.
Old Jan 18, 2022, 1:10 am

Location: formerly Gold now Diamond, formerly MSY, now LAX, formerly NW, now DL
Programs: Hyatt Plat, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, Delta Diamond/1MM
Have a bunch of trips (aside from my regular Mammoth ski weekends) including skiing Dolomites Feb 18-24, SLC/Park City Feb 24-28, Dublin April 23-May 3, South Africa (JNB & CPT) Nov 26-Dec 5. Also a few conferences in OGG and YUL (twice no less). Need a AMS/BRU trip for maybe the Fall & visit family in TPE and eat in TYO once they open up and don't require 14 days of quarantine.....who knows when that will be!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.