Wiki Posts
Search

Thailand

Search this Thread

Old Aug 27, 2018, 9:35 pm
Original Poster

Programs: VA, SQ, IHG, HH,ALL, Europcar
Thailand

Planning to break my Thailand Virginity - and explore what the land of smiles has to offer.

Planning for late November 5 7 days in Bangkok, then 5 days Pattaya - a week in Koh Samui, a couple of days Phuket and 5 days at Khao Lak.

Be interested in anyones advice regarding my plans and suggestions for hotels or Mr BnB homestays etc - along with bars, places to visit, saunas , massage places etc
Old Aug 29, 2018, 8:05 pm

Programs: UA
Originally Posted by adampenrith
Planning to break my Thailand Virginity - and explore what the land of smiles has to offer.

Planning for late November 5 7 days in Bangkok, then 5 days Pattaya - a week in Koh Samui, a couple of days Phuket and 5 days at Khao Lak.

Be interested in anyones advice regarding my plans and suggestions for hotels or Mr BnB homestays etc - along with bars, places to visit, saunas , massage places etc
-----

First, I would NOT go to Pattaya. Its not a nice beach and the nightlife is really subpar. Its really seedy and even if you're into that, you can find that in a nicer setting elsewhere in Thailand. Phuket is much nicer and has a better nightlife. Ko Samui is nice, but doesn't have much gay nightlife (a couple of drag bars, which cater about 50% to straight tourists). I've never been to Khao Lak, but I would guess that its really pretty with low levels of GLBT accommodations and services.

I'd do, BKK, then I'd fly to Ko Samui (take the day trip to Ang Thong Marine Park while there). Then I'd take the boat + bus, or a private car service (depending upon your budget) to Phuket (definately do the day trip to Ko Phi Phi from Phuket). If you want to add another city, might I suggest Siem Reap in Cambodia? Great value for money, decent nightlife, stunning scenery.. In Bankok, I'd stay in the Siloam area. I'd also check out the Jim Thompson house too (a fabulous queen's home that was also a CIA agent) . I'd do 5 days in BKK (over the weekend to leverage the nightlife), then head down to Ko Samui for 3-4 days, then go to Phuket for 3-4 days, then go Siem Reap in Cambodia. Utopia Asia usually has some pretty nice resources for LGBT venues.
adampenrith and roadwarrier like this.
Old Aug 31, 2018, 3:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
Unless you really favour beach destinations, I would skip Pattaya (I would skip Pattaya anyway for the reasons mentioned above) and Koh Samui and stick to Phuket and Khao Lak combined with a week in Chiang Mai. November is really nice time to be in the North; notably cooler and the weather should be bright. If you include Koh Samui do keep in mind that now you are able to fly between Koh Samui and Phuket.

Hotels are cheap in Thailand, so no need to do Mr BnB or AirBnB etc. Staying in Silom would be a solid choice for exploring the gay night life of Bangkok. Enjoy!
adampenrith likes this.
Old Aug 31, 2018, 8:14 am
Original Poster

Programs: VA, SQ, IHG, HH,ALL, Europcar
Originally Posted by TominLazybrook
-----

First, I would NOT go to Pattaya. Its not a nice beach and the nightlife is really subpar. Its really seedy and even if you're into that, you can find that in a nicer setting elsewhere in Thailand. Phuket is much nicer and has a better nightlife. Ko Samui is nice, but doesn't have much gay nightlife (a couple of drag bars, which cater about 50% to straight tourists). I've never been to Khao Lak, but I would guess that its really pretty with low levels of GLBT accommodations and services.

I'd do, BKK, then I'd fly to Ko Samui (take the day trip to Ang Thong Marine Park while there). Then I'd take the boat + bus, or a private car service (depending upon your budget) to Phuket (definately do the day trip to Ko Phi Phi from Phuket). If you want to add another city, might I suggest Siem Reap in Cambodia? Great value for money, decent nightlife, stunning scenery.. In Bankok, I'd stay in the Siloam area. I'd also check out the Jim Thompson house too (a fabulous queen's home that was also a CIA agent) . I'd do 5 days in BKK (over the weekend to leverage the nightlife), then head down to Ko Samui for 3-4 days, then go to Phuket for 3-4 days, then go Siem Reap in Cambodia. Utopia Asia usually has some pretty nice resources for LGBT venues.

Thanks for that feedback.

I have done a bit of research about Pattaya and agree with what you say , the reason i am considering is that I know lots of expats live there - and I want to see if its a potential place for us to either retire to or visit for extended stays ( we are a 63 yr old and 58 yr old couple) . I have found a place on MrBnb in an expat condo complex so if I do Pattaya will get the real hand on experience,

Khao Lak will be a total beach retreat - not expecting much outside of the resort except a couple of restaurants.

Siem Reap is amazing - I have spent time there and have friends who live there - great place to visit for the temples and a pretty good night life as well .
Old Oct 7, 2018, 9:36 am
LPQ

Programs: TG *G 20 years
You will find plenty of expats in the high rise condos of Jomtien Beach which is much more up market. This is the next bay to Pattaya, excellent beach and activities. LGBT very well catered for. Just a few minutes tuk tuk from central Pattaya. Avoid Pattaya itself.
Old Nov 27, 2018, 9:45 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
Go to Chiang Mai & Chiang Rai instead of Pattya.
Old Nov 28, 2018, 9:37 am

Programs: DL PM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by JVPhoto
Go to Chiang Mai & Chiang Rai instead of Pattya.

I'll be in Chiang Mai in January and wasn't expecting any real gay life (which is fine). But are there any specific recommendations?
Old Nov 28, 2018, 11:00 am

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Adam1222
I'll be in Chiang Mai in January and wasn't expecting any real gay life (which is fine). But are there any specific recommendations?
Didn’t know it was a gay nightlife contingent but anyways there’s Ram Bar with fun drag shows and a few things around it with people hanging out. If you’re looking for men’s massage I’ll say that Chiang Mai has better guys at lower prices compared to the beaches or Bangkok.

Just don’t go to Pattaya.
roadwarrier likes this.
Old Nov 30, 2018, 5:38 pm

Originally Posted by TominLazybrook
-----
In Bankok, I'd also check out the Jim Thompson house too (a fabulous queen's home that was also a CIA agent) .
Is that based on fact or rumor? In any case, the Jim Thompson house does offer a nice visit.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.