Search

Spain Beach Towns in May

Search this Thread

Old Mar 7, 2018, 4:39 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
Spain Beach Towns in May

Howdy.
I am currently scheduled to spend 3 nights in Sitges for a short Memorial Day Weekend getaway. Starting to wonder if Sitges will be too dead/cold that time of year, though quiet has its appeal. Any thoughts on Sitges that time of year, or should I consider heading to Mallorca, Malaga, or Torremolinos instead?
Old Mar 9, 2018, 1:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM & 2MM, SPG/Bonvoid LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, $tarbucks Titanium
I've alerted a few locals to this thread to chime in, but from what i've heard hotels & bars in Sitges are suffering from the Airbnb phenonenom as more people stay in apartments and self-cater and do more of their drinking in those apartments vs local bars. Hotel rates end of May were more reasonable than I expected.

From my experience, even in January there is some nighlife in Sitges and as always it becomes busier on the weekends. I'd expect things to be gearing up and ready for summer by the end of May.

Hopefully the locals will chime in.
Adam1222 likes this.
Old Apr 14, 2018, 6:07 am

Programs: Flying Blue Plat, Air Europa Silver, IHG Plat, Accor Plat
Life in Sitges revolves around the beach and the night life. It certainly won't be peak season in May and some bars will be shut. Nightlife might be dead Sundays to Thursdays. But if the weather is good (at this time of year it can be iffy) you will enjoy the beach.
Personally I would head down to Andalucia at this time of year. Seville, Granada, Cordoba for the culture and sights (+ busy nightlife with a hot local crowd). Malaga, Torre.. and Cadiz for beaches
Old Apr 14, 2018, 12:08 pm

Programs: Marriott TITANIUM, BWR Dia, IHG, Millemiglia Alitalia
Last August I was in Seville and Cadiz, with straight friends.
Cities are beautiful with a lot to visit and the weather is not very hot in this month.
Unfortunately I couldn't have experience of gaylife there...
Old Apr 14, 2018, 12:20 pm

Programs: HH Diamond
October weekend in Torremolinos was bustling. Much warmer than Sitges at the time, and since the town is so close to Malaga, it was hopping with tourists and locals on the weekend. The bars in the La Nogalera shopping center were packed with
tourists , expats, and locals. It was very fun. It’s in the 70s there this week, so late May should be warm. I stayed at the Melia and enjoyed it. Sitges is next on my list.
Old Apr 17, 2018, 5:40 am

The scene in Torremolinos is less, um, sophisticated than Sitges but that can be fun! I was last in Torremolinos 10 years ago. Good memories.
Agree with your point on the weather: Malaga is 800km south of BCN so the weather is always nicer except for July-September when BCN and Sitges are ideal: warm but never opressively hot. Sitges is at its zenith in July and August and this is when the night life really gets wild 😎
Old Apr 17, 2018, 5:44 am

Originally Posted by bitterproffit
October weekend in Torremolinos was bustling. Much warmer than Sitges at the time, and since the town is so close to Malaga, it was hopping with tourists and locals on the weekend. The bars in the La Nogalera shopping center were packed with
tourists , expats, and locals. It was very fun. It’s in the 70s there this week, so late May should be warm. I stayed at the Melia and enjoyed it. Sitges is next on my list.
Ps. Not sure what time in October you were there? The 12th is Constitution Day, which would make the place bustling over the holiday weekend. Later on in the month the numbers of tourists will drop off sharply and the age profile will rise...
Old Apr 17, 2018, 6:40 am

Programs: HH Diamond
I think I was there the first weekend. Oct 5, 6 and 7. I am not very sophisticated (LOL), so I really enjoyed the somewhat cheesy tourist atmosphere. It reminded me of growing up in Miami. I loved the beach and the chiringuitos and the food. I stayed at the Melia with access to their 'Level' lounge. I absolutely loved it. Walking the boardwalk, having some drinks with the Dutch in La Carihuela. La Nogalera got very festive after midnight. Weather was warm and sunny.

It really was a fun weekend.
Old Apr 17, 2018, 7:46 am
Original Poster

Thanks all. I've been to Sitges before, in July. The window to re-route the trip has come and gone so Sitges in May it is. I'm sure I can keep myself occupied for 3 nights over a long weekend, even if its just with a book and cava.
bitterproffit likes this.
Old Apr 17, 2018, 5:04 pm

Programs: UA
I was in Sitges in early June of last year. It was busy and the weather was hot. The beaches were packed too. But that was June, not May. I think you'll be fine in Sitges in late May. If its too dead, its easy to just switch it up for Barcelona. I'd just have a plan B in case the weather sucks. Use refundable hotel reservations and if the weather is supposed to be rainy, cancel in Sitges and just go to Barcelona (or even Madrid) instead.

You can also go to Barcelona without too much trouble from Sitges too. The obvious problem with that....Barcelona's STOOPID late nightlife hours. The last train leaves at midnight and there are no trains between BCN and Sitges between midnight and 545am. There is a night bus every hour between midnight and 545am between BCN and Sitges.

I WOULD CONFIRM THIS BEFORE HEADING OUT TO BCN FOR THE NIGHT WITH YOUR HOTEL. It is a 75 Euro cab fare from BCN to Sitges at night.

"The Nightbuses are under a different name - they are not called MonBus and are simply given numbers N30, N31 or N32. They run from Plaza Catalunya rather than Ronda Universitat or Plaza Espanya. The night bus journey is shorter as it goes directly from Barcelona to Sitges, with the journey time lasting 35 minutes"

Last edited by TominLazybrook; Apr 17, 2018 at 5:15 pm
Old Apr 17, 2018, 9:08 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by TominLazybrook
I was in Sitges in early June of last year. It was busy and the weather was hot. The beaches were packed too. But that was June, not May. I think you'll be fine in Sitges in late May. If its too dead, its easy to just switch it up for Barcelona. I'd just have a plan B in case the weather sucks. Use refundable hotel reservations and if the weather is supposed to be rainy, cancel in Sitges and just go to Barcelona (or even Madrid) instead.

You can also go to Barcelona without too much trouble from Sitges too. The obvious problem with that....Barcelona's STOOPID late nightlife hours. The last train leaves at midnight and there are no trains between BCN and Sitges between midnight and 545am. There is a night bus every hour between midnight and 545am between BCN and Sitges.

I WOULD CONFIRM THIS BEFORE HEADING OUT TO BCN FOR THE NIGHT WITH YOUR HOTEL. It is a 75 Euro cab fare from BCN to Sitges at night.

"The Nightbuses are under a different name - they are not called MonBus and are simply given numbers N30, N31 or N32. They run from Plaza Catalunya rather than Ronda Universitat or Plaza Espanya. The night bus journey is shorter as it goes directly from Barcelona to Sitges, with the journey time lasting 35 minutes"
honestly I cannot see myself schlepping to BCN and staying out for the hours of it's nightlife given how short the trip is, but thanks!
I'll be there on Memorial Day weekend, which is of course only a US holiday, but I've already confirmed that some other Americans will be there.
Old Apr 18, 2018, 12:40 am

Programs: AA LT Gold
Actually, May 28 is also a bank holiday in the UK (Spring bank holiday).
That late in May, I am sure it will be not only Americans in Sitges.
It will be fun.
Adam1222 likes this.
Old Apr 18, 2018, 5:53 am

There is a night bus every hour between midnight and 545am between BCN and Sitges.

I WOULD CONFIRM THIS BEFORE HEADING OUT TO BCN FOR THE NIGHT

The night bus still runs but the timetable is somewhat erratic. In BCN, you can get out at Plaça Espanya, Universitat (closest to the gay hot spots) and Catalunya. Some of the night buses also stop at the airport en route.
Old Apr 18, 2018, 5:55 am

Originally Posted by carlosdca
Actually, May 28 is also a bank holiday in the UK (Spring bank holiday).
That late in May, I am sure it will be not only Americans in Sitges.
It will be fun.
Hotels in BCN will also be full these days as it's the time of the Primavera Sound music festival.
Old Apr 18, 2018, 7:32 am

Programs: AA PLT, United, IHG PLT, SPG, HHonors
You can also go to Barcelona without too much trouble from Sitges too. The obvious problem with that....Barcelona's STOOPID late nightlife hours. The last train leaves at midnight and there are no trains between BCN and Sitges between midnight and 545am. There is a night bus every hour between midnight and 545am between BCN and Sitges."
That's not a real problem! Since the clubs in BCN are open till 6:00 AM he's hot going to need a train before 5:45 AM anyway :-)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.