Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > GLBT Travelers
Reload this Page >

Is safe for a transgender person travel through DOH

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is safe for a transgender person travel through DOH

Search this Thread

Old Feb 19, 2018, 4:22 pm
mjm
Original Member

Originally Posted by Transitgirl
Please help me !!!!
This is not worth even 1% risk. You've obviously seen the videos of people being tossed off buildings. Many people are very happy living in Islamic theocracies, but that does not usually include the LGBT crowd. Fly via Amsterdam or Frankfurt or London or any number of other non-Middle Eastern countries. Transiting should be fine. Until it isn't. But why experience any potential hassle. Pony up a few more bucks and be safe and sure.

Last edited by mjm; Feb 19, 2018 at 4:47 pm
Old Feb 20, 2018, 11:14 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by mjm
This is not worth even 1% risk. You've obviously seen the videos of people being tossed off buildings. Many people are very happy living in Islamic theocracies, but that does not usually include the LGBT crowd. Fly via Amsterdam or Frankfurt or London or any number of other non-Middle Eastern countries. Transiting should be fine. Until it isn't. But why experience any potential hassle. Pony up a few more bucks and be safe and sure.
Qatar and the UAE aren’t theocracies, as anyone with an informed, objective understanding of forms of government would know.

Lots of South Asian LGBT passengers pass thru DOH and DXB on trips to/from/within Asia, almost always without incident; and most any incident of a problem while transiting wouldn’t be unique to transiting DOH or DXB and may have its own variant in the UK or US airports.
Transitgirl likes this.
Old Feb 20, 2018, 11:19 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by GUWonder

Qatar and the UAE aren’t theocracies, as anyone with an informed, objective understanding of forms of government would know.

Lots of South Asian LGBT passengers pass thru DOH and DXB on trips to/from/within Asia, almost always without incident; and most any incident of a problem while transiting wouldn’t be unique to transiting DOH or DXB and may have its own variant in the UK or US airports.

You are the fist person in this post told me will be okay

Thanks
Old Feb 20, 2018, 3:43 pm
mjm
Original Member

Well thanks for the insult, but allow me to add some fact. Qatar is a constitutional monarchy with Sharia law being the main law in the constitution. The legal system is a combination of Islamic and civil law. Or in other words a government based on the law of a religion. or for all intents and purposes......wait for it.......a theocracy.

The UAE's individual members have agreed to an absolute monarchy and the law there is also a combination of Sharia and civil law. So while we ca use a label like "absolute monarchy" in place of theocracy, the guy running things is a devout believer in Islam and his courts are bound by a mix of Sharia law and civil law.

So in short both governments and those governed are more inclined to siding with a religion's ideas on things than say a public poll's. Call it what you wish, we all can. But addressing the safety of a transwoman there I think it would be clear to most that this is something to take into consideration.

Lots of LGBT folks pas through without incident? Great. Fortunately for 3 of 4 of that acronym being visually identified as that minority can be impossible if the individual does not make pubic displays of affection. Transfolk do not have that luxury. It only takes one incident. Enough vids of the intolerance of the thinking in that region give me pause and I seek to offer the advice that alternatives exist so as not to require a transit in a country guided by a religion with specific views on the LGBT issues.

Having transited US and UK airports hundreds of tomes I can assure you the law is on your side there with specific regard to how you present. Very much a case of apples and oranges I am afraid.
travellers4fun likes this.
Old Feb 20, 2018, 4:33 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by mjm
Well thanks for the insult, but allow me to add some fact. Qatar is a constitutional monarchy with Sharia law being the main law in the constitution. The legal system is a combination of Islamic and civil law. Or in other words a government based on the law of a religion. or for all intents and purposes......wait for it.......a theocracy.

The UAE's individual members have agreed to an absolute monarchy and the law there is also a combination of Sharia and civil law. So while we ca use a label like "absolute monarchy" in place of theocracy, the guy running things is a devout believer in Islam and his courts are bound by a mix of Sharia law and civil law.

So in short both governments and those governed are more inclined to siding with a religion's ideas on things than say a public poll's. Call it what you wish, we all can. But addressing the safety of a transwoman there I think it would be clear to most that this is something to take into consideration.

Lots of LGBT folks pas through without incident? Great. Fortunately for 3 of 4 of that acronym being visually identified as that minority can be impossible if the individual does not make pubic displays of affection. Transfolk do not have that luxury. It only takes one incident. Enough vids of the intolerance of the thinking in that region give me pause and I seek to offer the advice that alternatives exist so as not to require a transit in a country guided by a religion with specific views on the LGBT issues.

Having transited US and UK airports hundreds of tomes I can assure you the law is on your side there with specific regard to how you present. Very much a case of apples and oranges I am afraid.

Qatar and the UAE aren’t Islamic theocracies and don’t even have the same set of laws as each other. And LGBT passengers transiting there without incident is a routine event.

Designated X sex passport users transiting DXB and DOH on the way to South Asia is not rare. And it’s generally more incident free for such transit passengers. I wish I could say the same thing when it comes to dealing with DHS and their LHR equivalents using strip aearch machines, but I can’t because it would be an insult to the facts.
Old Feb 20, 2018, 5:29 pm
mjm
Original Member

Qatar and the UAE aren’t Islamic theocracies and don’t even have the same set of laws as each other. And LGBT passengers transiting there without incident is a routine event.

Designated X sex passport users transiting DXB and DOH on the way to South Asia is not rare. And it’s generally more incident free for such transit passengers. I wish I could say the same thing when it comes to dealing with DHS and their LHR equivalents using strip aearch machines, but I can’t because it would be an insult to the facts.
Or, "If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck and quacks like a duck, then it's a duck." Islamic law being a major component oof the law of the land seems pretty clear. Variations on the amount of civil law exists certainly, but the fact remains they both apply Islamic law as well. Not the best situation for an identifiable Transperson or if passport and presenting gender are different. I have no doubt there are many instances of no problem occurring, but it only takes one and since options exist, well, it just makes sense to play it safe still. The world is changing and is already amazing. Not yet perfect though. For me the TSA, DHS, and CBP have always been fantastic. The UK has been fine too.
Old Feb 20, 2018, 6:21 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mjm
Or, "If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck and quacks like a duck, then it's a duck." Islamic law being a major component oof the law of the land seems pretty clear. Variations on the amount of civil law exists certainly, but the fact remains they both apply Islamic law as well. Not the best situation for an identifiable Transperson or if passport and presenting gender are different. I have no doubt there are many instances of no problem occurring, but it only takes one and since options exist, well, it just makes sense to play it safe still. The world is changing and is already amazing. Not yet perfect though. For me the TSA, DHS, and CBP have always been fantastic. The UK has been fine too.

Sadly from the US to Nepal there only a few options.Stop in DXB/DOH/AUH or SIN/HKG

which the ME3 always have the cheapest fare going to South Asia
Old Feb 20, 2018, 6:27 pm
mjm
Original Member

Sadly from the US to Nepal there only a few options.Stop in DXB/DOH/AUH or SIN/HKG

US-ICN-KTM (on KE) is easy enough it seems and Korea is awesome for Transfolk.
Old Feb 20, 2018, 7:17 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mjm
US-ICN-KTM (on KE) is easy enough it seems and Korea is awesome for Transfolk.
Only KE fly this route and have not checked the price yet
Old Feb 21, 2018, 3:22 am
Suspended

Going via India used to be the most common way for people from the US to get to Nepal. It still works to go via say DEL, but a lot of that traffic now goes via various non-Indian, Asian airport hubs (inclusive of DOH and DXB).

Lots of X sex passports are used to go via DXB and DOH and DEL en route to Nepal.

If there are IRROPS on the way to/from Nepal, I’d rather it be on an itinerary using DOH or DXB or DEL as my gateway into/out of Asia than on an itinerary with ICN in that position.

Last edited by GUWonder; Feb 21, 2018 at 3:30 am
Old Feb 21, 2018, 5:07 am
mjm
Original Member

Going via India used to be the most common way for people from the US to get to Nepal. It still works to go via say DEL, but a lot of that traffic now goes via various non-Indian, Asian airport hubs (inclusive of DOH and DXB).

Lots of X sex passports are used to go via DXB and DOH and DEL en route to Nepal.

If there are IRROPS on the way to/from Nepal, I’d rather it be on an itinerary using DOH or DXB or DEL as my gateway into/out of Asia than on an itinerary with ICN in that position.
I am making the assumption that since the OP is originating in the US they do not have an X sex passport as they do not exist from the US Gov't. If they have an X sex passport and are traveling to Nepal which recognizes them it is more a function of personal preferences vis a vis caution and risk. Being Trans and having to not identify as any gender simply because one does not feel correct identifying with their birth assigned physical gender is no solution to identifying as your correct gender though. It is a tough concept for non-Trans to understand though so please just accept that as fact. If they have processed their DS-11 and are legally in the correct gender then not an issue so much anymore.

Having lived in Asia, North Asia to be specific, for the past 27 years now, and having quite extensive experience in this matter, I can assure you that from the perspective of having to wait out a delay and interact with the local population Korea is one heck of a lot better place to be stuck during IRROPS than many alternatives. Certainly far better than anywhere in the ME. India is a matter of taste although you would be so close to your destination yiou could likely enjoy it a lot. Japan would be best in Asia but HKG is not a bad call either. SIN is a bit trickier.
Old Feb 21, 2018, 8:35 am
Suspended

DOH and DXB have facilitated the travel of lots of X sex passport users without issue on trips to/from South Asia — way more than ICN with its very limited flight service to South Asia and poorer ability to recover as well with IRROPS-hit passengers in South Asia or headed to/from South Asia than carriers from say India, Qatar or the UAE.

Fear of extremely rare (to non-existent) outcomes on transit via DOH or DXB is just like being afraid to fly via DOH or DXB but not afraid of getting in a car in the US on a Friday or Saturday night or right on or after peak payroll deposit day (with the US being a country where drivers driving after some drinking of alcohol is tolerated way more than say in Sweden). Lots of X sex passport users use DOH and DXB without issue, and that’s the norm.X sex passports and other ID and travel doc issues for those who don’t fit into false binary categories is an issue of which I’m very aware: German passports to allow M, F, or X sex.

Last edited by GUWonder; Feb 21, 2018 at 8:41 am
Old Feb 21, 2018, 8:39 am

Programs: AA LT Gold
DOH and DXB have facilitated the travel of lots of X sex passport users without issue on trips to/from South Asia — way more than ICN
How do you know this?
What is your source?
Old Feb 21, 2018, 8:45 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by carlosdca
How do you know this?
What is your source?
Talking about trips to/from South Asia.

Given flight service history and passport-issuance history, it’s not a hard conclusion to reach that ICN doesn’t provide much service to/from South Asia for X passport users.
Old Feb 21, 2018, 10:14 am

Programs: AA LT Gold

Talking about trips to/from South Asia.

Given flight service history and passport-issuance history, it’s not a hard conclusion to reach that ICN doesn’t provide much service to/from South Asia for X passport users.
???
Lets forget about ICN and focus on this part of your statement:
DOH and DXB have facilitated the travel of lots of X sex passport users without issue on trips to/from South Asia —
How do you know how many trans people transit DOH or DXB? 1 a year? 1000 a year?
And how do you know there was "no issue"?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.