Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > GLBT Travelers
Reload this Page >

gay or gay friendly hotel in Cape Town, SA

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 9, 2017, 3:58 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta 1MM, Delta SM, United Silver, Amx Plat, Delta Amx Plat, Six-T Plat, IHG Gold, Hilton Gold

I'm going there the first week of March. Anyone know a gay or gay-friendly hotel in CPT? also, if not gay or gay friendly, just any hotel I should look at near the gay area, is it Da Waterkant or has the gay area moved to (or always been in Green point)? Any advice is helpful. thank you.
Old Jan 12, 2017, 8:55 pm

Programs: Non-status paid F/J (best value for $$$)
Da Waterkant is only a $2 uber ride away from The Westin.
Old Jan 13, 2017, 10:36 pm

Programs: AA executive platinum, United premier gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriot Gold
Protea , Victoria Junction is well located to a few bars. Decent hotel as well especially if you stay in a Loft room. Staff is great and helpful. Was there in April last year. Also credits to Marriott rewards (not if booked on third party site)
Old Jan 16, 2017, 3:39 am
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
The Glen is a gay hotel. Lovely property.
Old Jan 16, 2017, 10:42 pm

Programs: UA
Originally Posted by soxfanndc
I'm going there the first week of March. Anyone know a gay or gay-friendly hotel in CPT? also, if not gay or gay friendly, just any hotel I should look at near the gay area, is it Da Waterkant or has the gay area moved to (or always been in Green point)? Any advice is helpful. thank you.
We stayed at the Sugar Hotel. Walking distance to the bars, walking distance (long) to the V&A. I enjoyed my stay there. Great rooms. Not a Gay hotel though
Old Jan 21, 2017, 1:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
When is actually the best time of the year to visit Cape Town? - in terms of weather and people/action at gay bars, disco etc (or the latter are bust all year around?)

Sorry for my ignorance about S A.
Old Jan 21, 2017, 12:37 pm

Programs: VA WP, NZ *A SG
Originally Posted by SK AAR
When is actually the best time of the year to visit Cape Town? - in terms of weather and people/action at gay bars, disco etc (or the latter are bust all year around?)

Sorry for my ignorance about S A.
Just got back 2 weeks ago. I would say January is the best month of the year to go. Its summer and lots of people around. I was there the week between xmas and new years which is their busiest week of the year and it was too packed everywhere.
some tips:
- try and stay somewhere with a pool because the ocean is far too cold to swim in
- uber is cheap, safe and reliable. Used it all the time.
Old Jan 29, 2017, 12:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sxc
The Glen is a gay hotel. Lovely property.
We stayed at the Glen in 2005, it was great. Judging from pics on the website, the hotel has expanded quite a bit.

Obviously this was pre-Uber, but at the time (and in 2008), a car was necessary for exploring CPT, IMO.

The 2008 trip we stayed at the Westin, which was also a good hotel and pretty convenient (e.g., walking to V&A Waterfront).
Old Feb 2, 2017, 12:34 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
I spent 2 weeks in CPT and stayed in Sea Point, Bantry Bay and V&A Waterfront.
My order of preference was BB, SP, V&A. I was told not to stay downtown by many people and glad I didn't.

I had a car so it wasn't an issue, but the night going out and drinking the 20min Uber ride was like $5.
Old Feb 4, 2017, 2:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Diamond, B6 Mosaic, AS MPV Gold, UA Gold MM, Marriott Plat, SPG Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite
It has been a few years for us, but we really enjoyed the Westin (on points) in 2011. They were quite welcoming, and as pointed out above, it was a short and inexpensive ride from there to the bars. We even walked it once or twice.
Old Feb 24, 2017, 11:53 pm

Location: formerly Gold now Diamond, formerly MSY, now LAX, formerly NW, now DL
Programs: Hyatt Plat, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, Delta Diamond/1MM
We stayed at the Protea Victoria Junction and it was easy, friendly and didn't bat an eye when we checked in. It's central, easy to walk where we wanted to go and nice modern rooms for a good price.
Old Mar 9, 2017, 2:39 pm

Programs: DL PM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by NOLAnwGOLD
We stayed at the Protea Victoria Junction and it was easy, friendly and didn't bat an eye when we checked in. It's central, easy to walk where we wanted to go and nice modern rooms for a good price.

Stayed there last week and also had a good experience. Less fancy but also nearby (and a good MR gold upgrade) is the Protea Cape Castle. Finally, the 15 on Orange isn't walking distance to De waterkant but is a phenomenal gorgeous property, very W like, and is a great use of Marriott Rewards points. Right next to Companys Gardens.
Old May 15, 2017, 3:30 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by soxfanndc
Hi there - so where did you end up staying on your trip? I hope you enjoyed it, Cape Town is a great city, and I think March is possibly the best time of year to be there.
Old May 16, 2017, 5:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
Originally Posted by wijibintheair
I hope you enjoyed it, Cape Town is a great city, and I think March is possibly the best time of year to be there.
How is mid October or mid November? The latter would be high season and crazy number of tourists?
Old May 17, 2017, 1:31 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by SK AAR
How is mid October or mid November? The latter would be high season and crazy number of tourists?
The high season rates for nearly every hotel in Cape Town will start from 01 October (and for many from 01 September) and run through until 31 March or 30 April. So from a tourist point of view, October and November will be little different in my opinion.

From a weather perspective the later you leave it, the further into Summer you get, so theoretically, the "better" the weather. However, that is very much theory. You can have wonderful weather in October and in November, and you can have terrible weather in both months. The reason I say March is a great month is the weather is still warm, but usually the wind has died down. Wind for me is the worst weather factor you are likely to experience in October/November.

Not sure if that helps at all

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.