FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   GLBT Travelers (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/glbt-travelers-218/)
-   -   Gay Paris 2016 (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/glbt-travelers/1809117-gay-paris-2016-a.html)

woodford02A Dec 16, 2016 8:07 am

Gay Paris 2016

Heading to Paris the last week of December with my partner and hoping for some recommendations for any 'must-see', 'must-do' gay things.

Also hoping to have some recommendations for any gay bar, cafe or restaurants. Like the scene and good people watching.

We are staying in the northern part of Mararis, just beside the République metro, if it helps.

Thanks!

carlosdca Dec 19, 2016 9:02 am

Originally Posted by woodford02A (Post 27620808)
Heading to Paris the last week of December with my partner and hoping for some recommendations for any 'must-see', 'must-do' gay things.

Also hoping to have some recommendations for any gay bar, cafe or restaurants. Like the scene and good people watching.

We are staying in the northern part of Mararis, just beside the République metro, if it helps.

Thanks!

Unfortunately, the weather will probably be on the cold side and street life will be less busy than usual.
However, the Xmas markets will be jam packed and there is your best chance to people watch during this time of the year (google "christmas markets paris", tons of info on line)

I wouldn't be looking for "gay" restaurants or cafes in the Marais. Any cafe or restaurant will be gay welcoming even if they don't have a flag outside or are labeled "gay friendly".

Most bars are south of where you are (Republique), Rambuteau Metro Station is closer to one of the bars cluster.

Lots of places on or around Rue St-Croix Bretonnerie between Rue de Renard and Rue Vieille du Temple. Just walk around and explore the area. I don't think there is a "gay must do" in Paris (other than the typical mainstream sights which can be very gay in themselves)
But keep in mind that most locals are on vacation and it can be rather slow at the end of December for gay nightlife.

djjaguar64 Dec 19, 2016 5:15 pm

We stayed once in the HI Republique, too far from the night life. I would stay in the Marais, there is a room rental service above a corner bar, cannot remember the name, I stayed there once, was quiet and clean.

woodford02A Dec 20, 2016 12:51 pm

Thank you.

Any recommendations of gay-friendly bars/clubs, cocktail bars?

Vuelos Dec 21, 2016 8:10 pm

What's the scene you are looking for?

One of my "must do's" for a first timer is Raidd. The shower show is 👍🏼👍🏼

bitterproffit Dec 21, 2016 8:25 pm

I use travelgayeurope.com as a resource for bars, clubs, etc in most European cities. It has maps, reviews, descriptions of the bars/clubs, discussion about neighborhoods and even hotels. They also cover many cities in Asia.

DavidDTW Dec 26, 2016 4:49 pm

Originally Posted by Vuelos (Post 27647560)

He may want something a little more first hand....like L'Impact :D

Vuelos Dec 27, 2016 1:24 am

Originally Posted by daviddtw (Post 27664910)
he may want something a little more first hand....like l'impact :d

🐷🐷🐷

bostontraveler Dec 27, 2016 2:34 pm

Originally Posted by Vuelos (Post 27647560)

Raidd is absolutely terrible. I live in Paris.. the place is a complete tourist trap and full of pickpockets and the most complicit staff in all of the criminality. Plenty of places you can see more than guys taking showers...

Raidd and The Depot are totally to be avoided unless you go with 20€ in your pocket and your ID- and hold onto it.

bostontraveler Dec 27, 2016 2:35 pm

Originally Posted by DavidDTW (Post 27664910)
He may want something a little more first hand....like L'Impact :D

Way better choice! :p

bostontraveler Dec 27, 2016 2:40 pm

Originally Posted by woodford02A (Post 27640799)
Thank you.

Any recommendations of gay-friendly bars/clubs, cocktail bars?

Like what has previously been said the gay area in Paris is the Marais but that said it is getting smaller every year. Paris is so open that anywhere you go in the 3rd/4th/11th etc will be fun.

That said, the Duplex on rue Michel le Comte is a pretty friendly bar with not too many tourists-- mixed ages. I usually take my friends there when they come to visit and they enjoy it because you can talk. Crowd can be hit or miss but 35-45.

Take a walk around rue du Temple and rue des Archives and see what tickles your fancy ;-) Worst case, there's always the Impact, but there you leave your clothes at the door-- literally.

Frankly more interesting is rue de Bretagne- way fewer tourists and a great area. A few blocks up where Rue des Archives ends. Lots of cafes, restaurants...

jamesteroh Dec 28, 2016 8:12 pm

I think Open café is fun to go to and people watch but weather may be cold then to sit outside. They have happy hour until 10 and the staff speaks fluent English. It's a fun place to go for a late dinner before going to the bars. FreeDJ is around the corner and has a dance bar downstairs and a quieter bar upstairs.

I like Raidd bar. They have an enclosed shower they do shows in that is fun to watch and there are a couple other gay bars and restaurants near by.

bostontraveler Jan 2, 2017 8:32 pm

Originally Posted by jamesteroh (Post 27674247)
I think Open café is fun to go to and people watch but weather may be cold then to sit outside. They have happy hour until 10 and the staff speaks fluent English. It's a fun place to go for a late dinner before going to the bars. FreeDJ is around the corner and has a dance bar downstairs and a quieter bar upstairs.

I like Raidd bar. They have an enclosed shower they do shows in that is fun to watch and there are a couple other gay bars and restaurants near by.

Go to Raidd if that scene interests you. But be aware there are criminal elements there. Leave all of your stuff home- I mean ALL of your stuff. I don't say that based on heresy but on personal experience and also from Paris police. Enjoy but please be careful...

bostontraveler Jan 2, 2017 8:43 pm

Originally Posted by jamesteroh (Post 27674247)

James I appreciate your post and pls don't take it the wrong way but it is very much the view of a tourist in Paris. The scene in the Marais is not above board... Open Cafe is closing any day now (thank you gentrification..) and far from what it was before. FreeDJ is a bubblegum flashing pink bar, sketchy, catering 90% to tourists. Depends on what you like I guess.

I might see things differently since I have lived here for years but these places are not Parisian gay life. No offense but there are other plenty of other places you can go with handsome men without losing your belongings, getting scammed or drugged.

jamesteroh Jan 2, 2017 8:59 pm

Originally Posted by bostontraveler (Post 27695267)
James I appreciate your post and pls don't take it the wrong way but it is very much the view of a tourist in Paris. The scene in the Marais is not above board... Open Cafe is closing any day now (thank you gentrification..) and far from what it was before. FreeDJ is a bubblegum flashing pink bar, sketchy, catering 90% to tourists. Depends on what you like I guess.

I might see things differently since I have lived here for years but these places are not Parisian gay life. No offense but there are other plenty of other places you can go with handsome men wiithout losing your belongings, getting scammed or drugged.

I never knew Raidd was a place where people got robbed/pick pocketed. I haven't been to Paris since July 15 though and I know a lot of things change in short time period.

Too bad about open bar. Whenever I'm in London I try to do the day train trip to Paris on Eurorail and always enjoyed having lunch and a drink there late afternoon.

There used to be a bakery called LeGay I liked that had some interesting shaped bake goods:) I heard they closed too.

For the OP I'd recommended watching Charlie David's show on Europe. There is a part dedicated to Paris that will give you some ideas on where to eat and go out at (just make sure the places are still in business)