Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > GLBT Travelers
Reload this Page >

Berlin Sauna or other recommendations

Old Jul 16, 16, 1:50 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

I'll be staying in Berlin tomorrow for a week, Hampton Inn. Looking for recommendations on good sauna's, clubs, foam parties etc. Appreciate any advice!

also, if you know how to get from the airport to the hotel, that would be helpful. i assume there's some sort of train/subway?
Old Jul 16, 16, 1:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 1.7 M, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, AARP Sophomore, 14-time Croix de Candlestick
Originally Posted by iflyuaaa View Post
also, if you know how to get from the airport to the hotel, that would be helpful. i assume there's some sort of train/subway?
Sorry, can't help with the nightlife stuff, but the hotel itself gives some good directions. Assume you are flying into Tegel:

http://hamptoninn3.hilton.com/en/hot...ons/index.html

(Tegel has no train or subway service, only busses, but they are quite efficient).
Old Jul 17, 16, 2:50 pm
ksu

Programs: SAS EBD/ *G
I liked the Hampton when I stayed there,

Apollo Splash Club is supposed to be a very good sauna (never been myself, only walked past). It is walkable from the Hampton (at least if you otherwise are fit for what probably goes on there...) Turn right from the hotel on Uhlandstrasse, then right on Kantstrasse and walk along Kantstrasse, which at the Gedächtniskirche leads into Budapester Strasse and then into Kurfürstenstrasse. AFAIR it's on your right, near the corner where Budapester, Nürnberger and Kurfürsten Strassen meet.

Lot of gay nightlife around Nollendorfplatz, e.g. in Motzstrasse, This is the prewar Christopher-Isherwood-Berlin, and was also the main gay area of old West-Berlin. Lots of good clubs in the east as well, but staying at the Hampton I would start at Apollo and Nollendorf.
Old Jul 17, 16, 5:54 pm

Programs: BA Gold, QF NB
I've been to Apollo Splash Club and Der Boiler and I would definitely say that the latter is the better of the two and it's by far the nicest sauna I've been to. Sunday afternoon/evening it's very busy although even midweek it's still got quite a few guys there. It's located in Kreuzberg on Mehringdamm right near Curry 36 and Mustafa's Gemüse Kebap (which I recommend). It's entrance is onto a small laneway that leads off from the street. I'm pretty sure Apollo Splash Club has regular foam parties although the steamroom where the foam is isn't the biggest room.

Lab-oratory is probably the most well known sex club in Berlin. I've not been yet but a few of my mates have and have said it's great. Do check their website though for what event is on each particular night as there are some very diverse theme nights. Triebwerk in Kreuzberg/Neukölln is relatively small although I've always found it pretty decent.

For nightclubs SchwuZ (also on Mehringdamm) isn't too bad - there are 3 rooms, which, when I was there, had different genres playing - pop/more mainstream, techno and electroclash so a decent variation. KitKat Club (which is a slightly more mixed crowd) has regular parties on Friday and Saturday nights although they have a strict fancy dress/fetish dress code. I've only been on a Monday night (tech house music and when there is a relaxed dress code) and although it was quiet found it enjoyable.
Old Jul 18, 16, 12:12 am

Programs: AA LT Gold
Schwuz (bar/club) is not at Meringdamm (Kreuzberg) anymore, it's been at least a couple of years since they moved to a new location in Neukoln. Never been to the new location.

Saunas, just as perthflyer said.

Der Boiler in Kreuzberg has much nicer facilities.
Apollo is older and hasn't been renovated for a while (at least, last time I was there).

Der Boiler attracts a more younger crowd (younger than 40s)
Apollo is more diverse.

I think Apollo crowd is more down to earth and more willing to engage.
Not that you can't engage at Der boiler on a Sunday afternoon, it is very happening as well.

Enjoy!
Old Jul 18, 16, 2:36 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Thanks all. We went to boiler yesterday and it was great. very crowded and a good mix of guys. only a few creepies. i will try apollo sometime this week since it sounds very close.

i'd love to go to a foam party, and been googling but can't find when they are. i found something that said wednesday nights at apollo but it sounded like it was gay/lesbian/mixed which just sounds awkward to me.
Old Jul 18, 16, 9:04 am

Originally Posted by iflyuaaa View Post
Thanks all. We went to boiler yesterday and it was great. very crowded and a good mix of guys. only a few creepies. i will try apollo sometime this week since it sounds very close.

i'd love to go to a foam party, and been googling but can't find when they are. i found something that said wednesday nights at apollo but it sounded like it was gay/lesbian/mixed which just sounds awkward to me.
http://www.apollosplashclub.de/

Look for "Schaumparty" (Foam Party).
As far as the days of the week in German, you will have to learn those:
(can't do everything for you )

I've been to the foam party day, the day I went, it was men only.
It is just one of the rooms at the Apollo that has the foam going on. There is no dancing, just a bunch of guys in that particular room. There's lots of foam, like at least from 3 feet high.

The best source of info is the magazine Siegessaule (available at most bars for free). It is only in German but it is easy to follow (with the initial help of a dictionary, but then you will used to some of the key words). It has a full calendar of events for the month in the back.
Old Jul 19, 16, 3:21 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Gold, Marriott Titanium, TAP Gold
Haven't been, but I have heard good things about Boiler Room on Mehringdamm
Old Sep 10, 16, 3:48 am

Programs: AAdvantage PLT
I was at the Boiler on a Sunday afternoon/evening about a month ago. Very little is open in Germany on Sundays, so it's a day when the baths tend to be really crowded. Boiler is full of boy-next-door types and interesting-looking to hot middle-age men. It's spotlessly clean. There are lockers and showers on the top floor, a bar with multiple beer and wine offerings and food from salads to full meals available to order on the middle floor behind the reception. Downstairs there's a relaxation area, a steam room where a lot of action happens, a large hot tub with an observation gallery in the steam room, saunas at different temperatures, and a downstairs maze with rooms for the taking. When you meet someone, you find an empty room, put your towels down and enjoy yourselves.

It stays open until early hours on Monday, but the steam room shuts down for cleaning around midnight.

If you get hungry before or after, Berlin's most popular felafel truck parks outside.
Old Sep 10, 16, 3:57 am

Programs: AAdvantage PLT
I was told that Apollo attracts a working-boy crowd that is prone to whipping out an iPhone with Square to take your credit card charge for play. The guy who told me this was a white South African who kept telling me how "bed" Berlin was getting, and there were lots of 'blecks" at Apollo, so I took it with a grain of salt, and you should, too.
Old Sep 11, 16, 8:37 am

Programs: DL GM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Radisson Gold; Hyatt Discoverist
I was at Boiler last weekend and can attest it is clean and very popular with relatively attractive to super hot guys in their 20s to 40s. Some of the facilities were actually relaxing.
Old Sep 12, 16, 9:08 am

Originally Posted by pdquick View Post
I was told that Apollo attracts a working-boy crowd that is prone to whipping out an iPhone with Square to take your credit card charge for play.
This was not true AT ALL last year.

I doubt Berlin could have changed so much in one year for no reason.
Old Feb 15, 17, 11:33 am

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
LAB was tried and true this past Friday. I was surprised for being winter how packed it was. Got there at 11:45 and it was to the gills. I did notice it started clearing out much faster than I remember around 2.

Boiler on Sunday at 4pm was GREAT. Lots of people all looking to have fun and not "waiting/saving it for someone better". When I left at 7 there were about 30 people lined up outside to get in.
Old Feb 15, 17, 12:28 pm

An update on Apollo, there was a fire and some people died.

https://www.thelocal.de/20170206/thr...t-berlin-sauna
Old Mar 18, 17, 1:16 pm

Programs: DL PlatMM, BA Silver, AlaskaAir Gold, HHonors DIA, Accor Silver, Marriott Silver, IHG Plat, TK/UA/AA
It's amazing how many people "have never been" to Den Boiler
I've never been either, but have been told by a good friend that it's quite fun, clean, and busy on weekends.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: