Vietnam

Old Apr 20, 2016, 7:33 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM, SW, Hilton, , UAL PM, AA Gold-skeptic
Vietnam

Any recommendations for visiting Vietnam?

I have 6 days, and would go to Hanoi and/or HCMC.

Thanks

RRZ
Old Apr 23, 2016, 3:16 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold, Qatar Gold, Delta MM
I was in Vietnam last month for 7 days, spending 3 nights in Hanoi and 3 in Hoi An. While I've been to HCMC and Hanoi several times I hadn't been there recently. I was pleasantly surprised with Hoi An and would have spent more time there and less in Hanoi if I was doing it again. It has the quaint city plus the beach. The pollution and traffic in Hanoi (and HCMC) are oppressive.

Neither have much in the way of gay places, but there are plenty of guys the apps if that's what you're seeking.
Old Apr 26, 2016, 7:07 am

Hi

It depends what you're after. In six days you can do both (flying in between the two), however, having travelled across Vietnam I would recommend Hanoi over Saigon. Much more interesting place to see, definitely more influenced by the Chinese and less Western (Saigon is a large, western-style city in many ways). There's also a bit of gay life in Hanoi.

From there I would explore either northern or central Vietnam. Hoi An is a good recommendation. The overnight train from Hanoi is a more pleasant experience that you might imagine, although not luxury!

Where are you flying in from/connecting via? If you're seeking more of a gay scene during your stay then connecting via Bangkok and spending a couple of nights there will definitely deliver on that.

But definitely see Vietnam... good choice.
Old Apr 26, 2016, 11:26 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM, SW, Hilton, , UAL PM, AA Gold-skeptic
Originally Posted by London_traveller
Hi

It depends what you're after. In six days you can do both (flying in between the two), however, having travelled across Vietnam I would recommend Hanoi over Saigon. Much more interesting place to see, definitely more influenced by the Chinese and less Western (Saigon is a large, western-style city in many ways). There's also a bit of gay life in Hanoi.

From there I would explore either northern or central Vietnam. Hoi An is a good recommendation. The overnight train from Hanoi is a more pleasant experience that you might imagine, although not luxury!

Where are you flying in from/connecting via? If you're seeking more of a gay scene during your stay then connecting via Bangkok and spending a couple of nights there will definitely deliver on that.

But definitely see Vietnam... good choice.
OK then, it's settled. Hanoi and Hoi An.

Other feedback has concurred that Hanoi is preferable (somewhat) to Saigon, and what I've seen (and heard here) about Hoi An sounds intriguing. Thanks for that recommendation, I've never heard of it, and it looks lovely. (And you can't beat the prices for hotels! Wow.)

FYIW, I'm connecting from Hong Kong. That's always fun, but I've been there several times before, so I'll arrange for more time in Vietnam, def. on my bucket list. (As a kid I was intrigued with VN due to the bombardment of nightly news coverage re the war there. Now living in San Jose, there is a large VN-ese population here, and I've found them to be wonderful)

Thanks again!
Old Apr 27, 2016, 3:27 am

Cool. You'll love it

If you want to push yourself a little and see another place, then you could add on a Halong Bay trip as an overnight excursion from Hanoi. It's too far for a single day trip - the journey is about 3 hours. The scenery is stunning. I did it as part of a wider tour but there are loads of agents who can sort this for you, even if you want until you're in Hanoi.

I did it after a couple of nights in Hanoi, leaving the next morning for Halong bay. Arrived for lunch then spent the afternoon, and night, on a boat in the bay, with a canoe trip added on. If you google Halong Bay you'll see what I mean about the scenery.
Old Apr 29, 2016, 11:27 am

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott/SPG/Hilton Gold, PreCheck + Clear
Originally Posted by rrz518
OK then, it's settled. Hanoi and Hoi An.

Other feedback has concurred that Hanoi is preferable (somewhat) to Saigon, and what I've seen (and heard here) about Hoi An sounds intriguing. Thanks for that recommendation, I've never heard of it, and it looks lovely. (And you can't beat the prices for hotels! Wow.)
I can second the recommendation for Hoi An -- was there just over a year ago and to this day I marvel at the beauty of the place. And if you have a fondness for luxury, as I do, pay the same price for a hotel as you would in a larger city and prepare to be blown away by the service and setting. We stayed at The Nam Hai, on a private beach about half an hour outside the city proper. I still dream about it.
Old May 3, 2016, 10:32 am

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
Perfect thread I too am looking at Vietnam later in the year. Normally I'm always in/out of Thailand but this time my plan is to visit Angor Wat/Siem Reap and Vietnam.

Single, 32 yo, luxury traveler...don't need a "gay scene" but rather something I can enjoy whole heartedly.
Old May 3, 2016, 5:12 pm

Programs: KE Skypass Morning Calm Member, OZ Club
I second Hoi An. Even better, I STRONGLY recommend a bike tour from Hue to Hoi An. My friends and I used Le Family Riders. If you're solo, doesn't matter. You can drive, ride with a driver, or share a bike with your friend. They also make sure you know what you're doing before you get going. Absolutely the best thing I've done in all my Asia travels the past four years.

We flew from Hanoi directly to Hue in the morning on Vietnam Airlines. They picked us up and we had breakfast at their house (included) and then a stop at the family coffee shop (included). From 12-7 we all rode with a driver around Hue and hit the sites. You can rent a bike on your own, but with a driver, they know all the sweet spots and tiny dirt roads through tiny villages. Dinner was at one of the legit road side stands for $1 extra.

The next morning at 9a they picked us up for our drive to Hoi An which lasted all day, until 7. You'll find many blogs on the trip. The scenery was amazing and the drive up and over the mountain pass was gorgeous. It was fun to stop at the swimming hole and for real, the seafood lunch included was GREAT. In that long day tour, everything is included - every water, beer, coffee, ice cream, snack....and you can get as much as you want without any hesitation. They also feed you well. Grand total is like 50$ for that long day drive.

Hanoi is just there to get you to Halong Bay. It's also QUIET after 10 PM. You can easily enjoy a few days in Saigon.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.