Gay New Zealand

Old Apr 13, 2016, 6:21 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
Gay New Zealand

Not sure if anyone else got in on the recent bargain LAX/SFO-AKL fares. But I'll be spending 9 days in New Zealand in November. I imagine the only major gay life is Wellington and Auckland, but any tips for anywhere in the country are appreciated. My plan now is to fly from AKL to the South Island on arrival, and then make my way back North.

Thanks in advance
Old May 15, 2016, 1:02 am

Programs: former MD-88 jumpseat Medallion. DL FO, AA PLT PRO. Marriott LT Plat.
I guess if its been a month without a reply, should be a bit of a clue!

Although its known as the "Queen City," the scene even in Auckland is not quite as buzzy as one would expect (certainly not like SYD). Most of the gay pubs are located on or near Karangahape Road ("K" road in local parlance) although the area definitely has a more edgy vibe than a gay vibe. Wellington...I cant remember exactly but the options were few. In any event, Wellington had the 7's (rugby tournament) going on at the time I was there, and the costumes and street revelry were better than anything going on at the local gay bar. Auckland Pride is in February, so you'll miss that.

If you want other vacation advice, I'd recommend looking into "deadheading" a car one-way. NZ always has a plethora of rental cars that get stuck on the South Island and there are websites and companies that can help you locate these for one-way rentals back north. they are usually free and include xx number of kilometers as long as you get the car to XYZ in the allotted time. I've been to NZ 4 times now, and its a great way to amble and see the country. Last year, we did a quick 2-day rental from WLG-AKL the only cost was to return the car with a full tank. Feel free to PM me if you want other suggestions. cheers mate.
Old Aug 13, 2016, 9:16 pm

Programs: VA, SQ, IHG, HH,ALL, Europcar
If you are in Wellington the place to go is

S & M Bar - Scotty and Mal the owners will make you feel very welcome

Cuba street just near Vivian street
Old Aug 14, 2016, 6:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: A3&O6 Gold,IC AMB & HH Diamond
When we were in Auckland, OMG, I thought where is everybody. We found one miserable looking gay bar and thats it. There was hardly anyone in the bar and it was soooo boring. In Auckland we had a better time exploring the city and sights.

Last edited by djjaguar64; Aug 17, 2016 at 7:29 pm
Old Aug 17, 2016, 4:05 pm
Original Poster

Thanks all. I've finalized my trip plans for November.
- 3 days/nights Wellington
- 1 day/night Christchurch
- 1 day/night Mt. Cook
- 3 days/2 nights Queenstown
- 1 day/2 nights Auckland
Old Aug 24, 2016, 12:31 am

Programs: NZ Elite Partner/Silver (in own right), PR Classic, QF Bronze, UA Member, VA Red
Originally Posted by djjaguar64
When we were in Auckland, OMG, I thought where is everybody. We found one miserable looking gay bar and thats it. There was hardly anyone in the bar and it was soooo boring. In Auckland we had a better time exploring the city and sights.
it's very quiet In AKL, that is for sure! Family Bar has the most patrons; but young and not all gay.
Old May 23, 2017, 12:43 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
Figured I would bump the thread than start a new one.

I'll be in NZ in November and I've more or less got my schedule down but haven't booked any places yet but for the most part it won't be SPG/Marriott. Any good, smaller hotels that may be LGBT owned/operated I can support?

Nights - Location
1 - Hamilton
2 - Lake Taupo/National Park
2 - Wellington
2 - Christchurch
1/2 - Franz Josef Glacier
2/3 - Queenstown
2 - Auckland

1 - Arrive SFO-AKL and hop down to Hamilton.
2 - Drive to Hobbiton from Hamilton and then go down to Lake Taupo
3 - Tongariro Alpine Crossing day hike
4 - Drive down to Wellington from Lake Taupo/NP.
5 - WETA workshop tour
6 - Fly to Christchurch
7 - Edoras filming location tour
8 - Drive to Franz Josef Glacier
9 - FJG heli hike
10 11 12 - This part is still up in the air. Debating driving to QT after the heli hike or staying another night at FJG and going in the morning. Plan to spend day or 2 doing some "adventure" stuff and maybe one more LOTR half-day tour near QT.
12 - Fly to AKL
13 - AKL
14 - Fly AKL-SFO
Old May 23, 2017, 5:08 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JVPhoto
Figured I would bump the thread than start a new one.

I'll be in NZ in November and I've more or less got my schedule down but haven't booked any places yet but for the most part it won't be SPG/Marriott. Any good, smaller hotels that may be LGBT owned/operated I can support?

Nights - Location
1 - Hamilton
2 - Lake Taupo/National Park
2 - Wellington
2 - Christchurch
1/2 - Franz Josef Glacier
2/3 - Queenstown
2 - Auckland

1 - Arrive SFO-AKL and hop down to Hamilton.
2 - Drive to Hobbiton from Hamilton and then go down to Lake Taupo
3 - Tongariro Alpine Crossing day hike
4 - Drive down to Wellington from Lake Taupo/NP.
5 - WETA workshop tour
6 - Fly to Christchurch
7 - Edoras filming location tour
8 - Drive to Franz Josef Glacier
9 - FJG heli hike
10 11 12 - This part is still up in the air. Debating driving to QT after the heli hike or staying another night at FJG and going in the morning. Plan to spend day or 2 doing some "adventure" stuff and maybe one more LOTR half-day tour near QT.
12 - Fly to AKL
13 - AKL
14 - Fly AKL-SFO

I did 12 or so days in NZ in November 2016. Not much gay stuff but Have extensive trip reports on my blog and happy to share if you have questions about Wellington, Christchurch, Auckland, Mt Cook, Queenstown/DoubtfulSound. I went to less places and felt rushed in Queenstown and Auckland. Take some time to just stay put and take in the sheer beauty.
Old May 23, 2017, 5:43 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Adam1222
I did 12 or so days in NZ in November 2016. Not much gay stuff but Have extensive trip reports on my blog and happy to share if you have questions about Wellington, Christchurch, Auckland, Mt Cook, Queenstown/DoubtfulSound. I went to less places and felt rushed in Queenstown and Auckland. Take some time to just stay put and take in the sheer beauty.
Nightlife/fun I can do off Grindr I was more looking to throw some business to a LGBT hotel/bnb if anyone knew of them.

That's why I'm putting in the miles on the road and trying to keep it fairly loose so that if something catches my eye once I'm there or en route between spots I have the ability to veer off.
I feel there's not much I would want to do in AKL that I'd consider just 1 night there and staying an additional day on the South Island.
Old May 23, 2017, 6:52 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JVPhoto
Nightlife/fun I can do off Grindr I was more looking to throw some business to a LGBT hotel/bnb if anyone knew of them.

That's why I'm putting in the miles on the road and trying to keep it fairly loose so that if something catches my eye once I'm there or en route between spots I have the ability to veer off.
I feel there's not much I would want to do in AKL that I'd consider just 1 night there and staying an additional day on the South Island.
Just saying that I felt the same way about AKL going on but found it merited a bit more time. But I guess you don't want advice

You won't find much on Grindr outside Auckland or Wellington. On the South Island, your main screen will frequently show people hundreds of miles away, even in Christchurch.

if you want gay hotels or BnBs, check purpleroofs. https://www.purpleroofs.com/southpacific/newzealand/newzealandregion.html
Old Jun 4, 2017, 5:37 am

Programs: VA, SQ, IHG, HH,ALL, Europcar
Autumn Farm at Takaka is one of the best places to stay.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.