FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   GLBT Travelers (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/glbt-travelers-218/)
-   -   Cambodia, Party of One (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/glbt-travelers/1603590-cambodia-party-one.html)

mikesaidyes Aug 17, 2014 7:45 am

Cambodia, Party of One

How's that going to be for me? I'm 30 years old. Going for two weeks at the end of the month.

I've traveled once before to Thailand (Bangkok, Ao Nang, Ko Phi Phi, Phuket) at Christmas, and it was MISERABLE. Miserable in the sense that it was nothing but douchey Euro Springbreak types. Meeting and talking to anyone, let alone other gay people, was slim to none. I'm very outgoing and didn't ever think that would be a problem, but the Thailand crowd proved me wrong.

Am I going to have to really fend off the money boys haha? Is there a good local scene for anything?

I live in Seoul now and I must say that I'm terribly spoiled when it comes to nightlife.

Has anyone ever stayed at MENS in Siem Reap? I booked a night there. What are the "saunas" like? Just foreigners trying to snag a local guy? Or do locals actually go there?

goteed1 Aug 17, 2014 3:04 pm

I have been to Cambodia solo a couple of times and in fact I'm probably going back for NYE. I have to say that out of all the places I've traveled to Cambodia probably had the friendliest locals and tourists as well. I think the gay nightlife in Cambodia is more laid back than Thailand so it doesn't lend itself to the type of travelers that are looking for a springbreak type atmosphere.

I did stay at The Men's Resort and really liked it. The rooms are pretty upscale, although minimalist, and the service is top notch. The sauna and bar there really do attract the locals from about 5pm on. My experience is that the locals head straight into the sauna. A few of them might have a drink at the bar afterwards. The bar staff was really friendly and they speak English well enough to hold a good conversation. The other guests at the time I was there were mostly Aussies, but very friendly as well. I'm not an extrovert, but I had an easy time getting to know people here. The bars are pretty low key, I think The Linga is the one with the rent boys and they pretty much attack everyone who walks in. You should have no problem striking up a conversation with any of the patrons. The wine bar is the other main gay hangout and I really like that place. Good mix of locals and tourists and again, great atmosphere to get to know people. There were a couple of dance clubs, but the club du jour changes pretty quickly here, so I couldn't tell you what the hotspot is right now.

Another advantage of going solo: I'm a history buff, I loved being able to tour all of the temples on my own (with a guide the hotel recommended) and take as much time as I wanted to be able to learn more about each temple. If I had gone with someone else their head would have exploded waiting for me to look at everything.

Phnom Penn has a similar gay nightlife, very laid back and I had a really easy time chatting people up. This city is not as tourist friendly as Siem Reap but to me that's part of it's beauty. They have some rentboys in one of the bars here, but it's not like Thailand at all. I don't think there was any bar in this city that wasn't welcoming. Phnom Pen also has afew dance clubs. I'm not a dance club guy, but I did go with a group of locals one night to a place called Heart of Darkness and did have fun.

Cambodia may be an "aquired taste" for some, but I really think it's a very under rated place.

mikesaidyes Aug 18, 2014 7:48 am

Thanks for the helpful reply!

98103 Aug 28, 2014 8:52 am

I can attest to the aggressive rent boys at La Linga in Siem Reap. A local I had chatted with on line saw me and as soon as he showed up at my table and said hello, the little rent boys scattered away fast. How he knew I needed assistance in ridding myself of my company, I'm not sure. But, a very pleasant conversation followed.

Didn't do anything in Phnom Penh gay wise. The self guided tour at the Killing Fields was quite sobering, but important to do, in my opinion.

keitherson Sep 2, 2014 4:05 am

Originally Posted by mikesaidyes (Post 23377136)
I live in Seoul now and I must say that I'm terribly spoiled when it comes to nightlife.

Gay nightlife in Seoul? You gotta be kidding me..

adampenrith Sep 7, 2014 8:06 am

Heading off to Vietnam and Cambodia in November solo, staying at MENS in REP for a week to do Angor Wat. Will report back over the holidays as to how it went

Amelorn Feb 9, 2019 11:17 pm

I was wondering if any of our eminent gents could provide an update on this. I am heading to REP tomorrow for 2 weeks, and I am curious as to the current state of the scene.

I'm a 29 year old party of one. Not really looking for the rent-/moneyboy scene - I am sorry to say, but if I get the "pay-for-play" impression, I shut down to locals pretty quick (which I realize is very unfair to).