Suggestions for Seoul?

Old Apr 15, 14, 9:39 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, AC E35, Starwood Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Suggestions for Seoul?

Heading to Seoul later this week with my bf for a few days. Looking for a few suggestions from FTers on gay/gay friendly bars, restaurants, or other attractions to check out while we're there. We'll be staying in Gangnam area. Any recommendations from FTers?
Old Apr 29, 14, 9:07 am

Stay for as short a time as possible
Old Apr 29, 14, 5:03 pm

Location: Either below the Ockham stack or below the approach to SDKY
Programs: UA 1MM/*G. AA EXP for 1 more year. Then, who knows?
That's a bit harsh. I really liked Seoul, and the Koreans. Never went out of my way to find anything particularly gay though. I suspect that whatever is there is not the major reason to visit anyway. I just loved the vibe, the palaces, the museums, the view of the mountains, and the Seonjeongneung burial mounds. And the food!!! Top Cloud restaurant had great views for a meal, albeit an overprized one.
Old May 16, 14, 3:23 am

Programs: Ex *A now CX. IHG/Marriott convert
Did you enjoy Seoul? I did not like staying in Gangnam area - too far to walk to anything and no style so to speak of. Itawon won me over with its great food/bar options, walkable everywhere and of course Homo Hill.
Old May 16, 14, 8:08 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, AC E35, Starwood Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Alawyer View Post
Did you enjoy Seoul? I did not like staying in Gangnam area - too far to walk to anything and no style so to speak of. Itawon won me over with its great food/bar options, walkable everywhere and of course Homo Hill.
Thanks for the suggestions - yes, we did enjoy it a lot! I'd concur that Gangnam isn't the best place to stay - the sidestreets were a bit more walkable, but overall it felt a bit suburban so would probably stay in another area next time. Really like Itawon as well - Homo Hill was a bit out of the way and hard to find (wandered up hooker hill first) and a bit rough around the edges, but fun. Rented bikes and rode along the river for an afternoon which was fun, and managed to catch the tail end of the cherry blossoms. Spent an afternoon walking up the trails around the Seoul Tower, which was neat too. Also went to see the show "Nanta" which was fun and managed to get dragged up on stage as a participant. We were there for about 3 days, and really enjoyed it.
Old Jun 9, 14, 9:22 am

Programs: QF, Velocity, AA
Was there probably around the same time as you and had the same experience. Also stayed in Gangnam, which was fine, but too far to get to anywhere of interest. Would recommend to anyone to stay north of the river....
Old Jun 16, 14, 10:48 pm

Programs: UA Gold, *A Gold - Qantas Club/Silver - Virgin Atlantic Silver
All around Itawon is excellent! Great restaurants and bars... You MUST have Korean BBQ whilst you are there with all the pickles and kimchi as accompaments to the marinated meats! Delish!

Cheers,

AG.
Old Jun 19, 14, 7:28 pm

Originally Posted by Airgroovin' View Post
All around Itawon is excellent! Great restaurants and bars... You MUST have Korean BBQ whilst you are there with all the pickles and kimchi as accompaments to the marinated meats! Delish!

Cheers,

AG.
Will be heading to Seoul in Oct., staying in Itawon --- any preferred restaurants for Korean BBQ? Thanks
Old Jun 20, 14, 11:39 pm

Programs: UA Gold, *A Gold - Qantas Club/Silver - Virgin Atlantic Silver
Originally Posted by HammarMA View Post
Will be heading to Seoul in Oct., staying in Itawon --- any preferred restaurants for Korean BBQ? Thanks
Sorry, cannot remember the names... but there are many of them! Yum!

Cheers,

AG.
Old Jun 24, 14, 7:33 pm

Programs: AA EXP,2MM, DL Gold,Starwood PLT
Check out the US military guys while you're there. On two trips i've had they have been the highlight More then a few of them are into dudes and very happy to see a fellow american not on their base with them.
Old Sep 7, 14, 5:41 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas

Programs: AA EXP, HHonors Gold, Hertz 5*
I'm doing a mileage run to Seoul in late October and will be staying there 3 nights.

Right now, I'm booked at the Conrad, with a fully changeable booking, so that might change.

I've been to Korea before. I was stationed north of Seoul while in the Army in the early 1990s and went for a long weekend from Tokyo, while doing a semester abroad in grad school in the late 1990s.

I do speak some Korean. It was my job in the Army, I went through the military's language school in Monterey, California, as well as some other training, before I went to Korea. It has been a while, so I'm brushing up with some podcasts and dug out some of my old books.

Right now, I'm planning to visit the Olympic Park (swim there), and some of the palaces/museums. Probably swing by Gangam, just to see what the fuss is (it isn't far from my hotel).

Anyone have other suggestions?
Old Sep 21, 14, 7:14 pm

Originally Posted by HammarMA View Post
I lived in Seoul a few years ago; there is (was!) a outstanding BBQ restaurant right near Jonggak Station (Line One), which is where the Samsung Building with a spaceship-ish restaurant (Top Cloud) is located.

When you arrive at the intersection, you need look directly at the Samsung Building, with the intersection at your back. Looking to the right, you'll see a Mr. Pizza, with a small (mostly) pedestrian street leading off the main street. If you walk about a minute or so up that street, on the right you'll see a BBQ restaurant with wine bottles in the window, that requires you to take a few steps down off the street and inside. They use real charcoal, rather than gas grills, and it was by far my favourite BBQ joint in town. Can't guarantee that its still there, but they had been open for years.

If you're a bit confused, pull up Jonggak Station on Google Maps, and near Exit 3 of the station, you'll see the little street, labelled Jong-ro-9-gil (the street may not be physically signed, however).

Top Cloud is great for a drink after dinner. This area is also near Insadong, which is worth a look.

Seoul is outstanding in October - such a gorgeous month there. Have fun!
Old Sep 21, 14, 7:21 pm

Originally Posted by aztimm View Post
Right now, I'm planning to visit the Olympic Park (swim there), and some of the palaces/museums. Probably swing by Gangam, just to see what the fuss is (it isn't far from my hotel).

Anyone have other suggestions?
Do you like hiking? Namsan is worthwhile if the weather's nice, and is one of the most accessible mountains. However, if you're a bit more adventurous, there are some great hikes accessible in the city, including one in the Seodaemun area... the name escapes me, but there's a small Buddhist temple at the top.
Old Oct 25, 14, 12:47 am

Programs: KE Skypass Morning Calm Member, OZ Club
Gangnam is definitely far from suburban, but it's true that you are kind of out there. If you can learn the bus system, it's super easy to get everywhere, but that's not practical for most tourists. Stay in Myeongdong/Jongno.

If you are in Gangnam, you should check out the area behind Sinnonhyeon Station. It's VERY lively at nights and weekends. You can get your nails done at 6 AM. It's one of those hoods haha.

There is VERY LITTLE good KOREAN food in Itaewon these days. I live just around the corner in Haebangchon. The entire area has become a very trendy tourist destination for Koreans. Weekends are a mad house!

For meat, you should look for this chain. Saemaul Sikdang 새마을 식당. It's consistently one of the best barbecue places. That being said, if you see a meat restaurant and it's busy, just go in it! That's the Asia trick. If it's busy, it's good.

Homo Hill is ok, BUT if you are traveling with a friend or meet a local guy, I definitely recommend going to Jongo 3-Ga. It's where the majority of Korean gay guys go. It's a 100% gay Korean experience.

Jongno 3-Ga has an area of street tents where all the gays go and drink ALL NIGHT. Literally, until 6 AM they're busy. There's also tons of random bars and restaurants in the alleys around.

A good place to go in Jongno if you're alone is Barcode. SOmetimes it's quiet, sometimes it's busy, BUT the owner is EXTREMELY friendly and he'll give you the scoop.

To me, Homo Hill is the exact same thing as going to a gay bar in America with a few Koreans thrown in.

If you're single, I also recommend going to a gay sauna. They're wild (in a good, not sketchy like American gay sauna sort of way). Utopia Asia has a giant list. Warning: their directions are kind of unnecessarily elaborate or confusing. If you see one you want, send me a PM and I can give you real directions haha.

Re: Top Cloud. Great views. But go early. They do all you can drink wine? beer? I think for like 20-30 a person. Outside of that time, one drink is like 15.

I'm happy to answer any and all questions and take anyone out for a night! I absolutely love the nightlife here. It's the best in Asia that I've experienced (and not to be snobby, but that's essentially every major city in east Asia). Just PM me!

Search this Thread
Search Engine: