Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > GLBT Travelers
Reload this Page >

Folsom Europe (and Berlin in General)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 2, 2014, 11:23 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold

A friend is talking up going to Folsom Europe in Berlin Sept. 13-14. I'm not all that into Folsom type events -- haven't even been to the SF one -- but the idea of going to Germany is intriguing simply because I've never been before. Any comments or suggestions on a Sept. 8-15 trip? BTW, I'm more interested in checking out Germany/Berlin (as a typical tourist) and less in getting naked with a local (although I should probably do that at least once). If it matters one way or other, we're both black. I supoz that 90% of what I'd be interested in seeing/doing could be found in any elementary guidebook, but as a black man and a gay man are there particular things I should make sure I see, do, or visit?

Last edited by homeboy4; Jan 3, 2014 at 12:15 pm
Old Jan 5, 2014, 2:01 pm

Programs: AA LT Gold
What are you especifically asking here?

You say you are not into "Folsom" type events, but you are going right during that weekend?

Folsom Europe is what it is and is totally what it looks like on its webpages. If anything, it is WAAAY more hardcore than the original San Franfisco version.

Also, MOST of the bars in Berlin provide "Folsom" type of fun all year long (heavy on Leather, Fetishes and cruising). That's what makes the Berlin gay scene what it is.

Berlin is huge, so you can pretty much stay away from the Folsom events and bars, if you want to.
Old Jan 6, 2014, 11:08 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold
Originally Posted by carlosdca
What are you especifically asking here?

You say you are not into "Folsom" type events, but you are going right during that weekend?
Yes, I am going (or thinking of going) because a friend wants to go. He's going for the event. I am going because it's a chance to visit a new country. We're friends and accommodate each other this way.

Folsom Europe is what it is and is totally what it looks like on its webpages. If anything, it is WAAAY more hardcore than the original San Franfisco version.
I'm glad you stressed this. It might be more hardcore than my friend expects. I will let him know.

Also, MOST of the bars in Berlin provide "Folsom" type of fun all year long (heavy on Leather, Fetishes and cruising). That's what makes the Berlin gay scene what it is.

Berlin is huge, so you can pretty much stay away from the Folsom events and bars, if you want to.
Which brings me back to what you first asked. What am I asking here? It's just a garden variety "what to do and see" question. I thought that posting it here I might get a different perspective than what I'd find in ABC Travel Guide. But since I'm going to be there such a short time, maybe ABC Travel Guide is all I need: Brandenburg Gate, remains of Berlin wall, etc. plus the addresses of a couple of gay bars.
Old Jan 6, 2014, 2:07 pm

Programs: HI Plat
The Street Fair part of Folsome Europe on Saturday afternoon is not really 'full on' it's held in a street with apartments overlooking proceedings. The street is open to all pedestrians, so there are locals passing through all day.
The parties and events in bars and clubs can be full on, but they are usually advertised as such.

https://www.facebook.com/Prinzknecht
Normally for a Berlin bar I would have no hesitation in recommending Prinzknecht, however over Folsome it can and be so full you can't get in!
It is in the middle of the area where the Saturday street fair is usually held.

For something different you could get a train out to Potsdam:, it about 30 minutes on the train from Zoo.
You can do a boat trip on the lake or visit Sanssouci.
http://www.potsdam-park-sanssouci.de/home.html

If you are interested in the history of the Berlin Wall:
http://www.berliner-mauer-gedenkstaette.de/en/

The Bundestag is great if you are a fan of modern architecture:
http://www.bundestag.de/htdocs_e/visits/kupp.html
Old Jan 8, 2014, 7:48 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
You can find all the tourist stuff in your normal guide books, there is also a Gay Holocaust Memorial.

For bars please go see my friends at The Sharon Stonewall behind Hacksher Markt in Mitte...very friendly place to have a few drinks.
Old Jan 8, 2014, 8:35 pm

Programs: Holder of six "persona non-grata" awards
Went to Berlin a couple of years ago after first going to Munich during Oktoberfest. IIRC, there are three identified "gay" areas within Berlin, so find a gay area that is not part of the Folsom event. Regardless, I left Berlin knowing that I will return again someday....it was that fun.

Take a free walking tour; I did this one: http://www.newberlintours.com

By my estimation/experience, Berlin is a very open, free, tolerant, cosmopolitan city; all are welcome. If you're looking for a bar/club where clientele admire one particular ethnic group (Asian, Black, Arab, etc.), I recommend picking up one of the free "rags" at any of the local bars once you get there.

You're going to have a great time!
Old Jan 12, 2014, 12:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Someone can correct me if my info is outdated (I was in Berlin in 2005), but the scene is quite variable, in that it rotates quite a bit and probably takes a local or at least a german speaker to determine the best venues any given night.
Old Jan 12, 2014, 12:43 pm
Suspended

Last time I was at Folsom Berlin I found it boring: a string of backroom sex parties and a little street fun.
It is not at all like San Francisco where it is at least feisty with booths, shops, demonstrations, and other stuff going on.
Old Jan 12, 2014, 1:13 pm

Programs: AA LT Gold
Originally Posted by ijgordon
Someone can correct me if my info is outdated (I was in Berlin in 2005), but the scene is quite variable, in that it rotates quite a bit and probably takes a local or at least a german speaker to determine the best venues any given night.
Not really.
The venues and parties are almost exactly the same every year (for Folsom Berlin). At least for the last 4 years. The schedule of "themes" for the bars have also been the same.

The big events for Folsom Europe are the Friday Party at Tresor and the Saturday Party "PIG". PIG was at an old mint but I think it has been changed to a different venue. Same concept. Berghain does not do a special night for Folsom Europe as they do in Easter and Sylvester (New Year's eve).

GMF is a big Sunday Party, not really heavily advertised, but it is immensely popular with the younger non-leather crowd. HAppens every Sunday and it is not linked to Folsom Europe.

The basic guide for gay nightlife in Berlin is the magazine Siegessaule, only in German but they are lately including a calendar in English online:
http://www.siegessaeule.de/

The Berlin Festival is indeed much smaller than Folsom San Francisco. AT the same time you don't get as many tourists as you get in the San Francisco one. I'd say that 99% of the Berlin attendees dress the part and are into the scene and is pretty much an all-male crowd. SF on the other hand as tons of tourists, lots of female attendees, lots of folks not dressing the part and just walking around camera in hand. Not saying that one is better than the other, they are just different.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.